1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Why Cowboys Had To Replace Rob Ryan, Part II: Adapting To A Changing Landscape

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by btcutter, Jan 16, 2013.

1. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,757 Messages
    226 Likes Received
  2. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,370 Messages
    598 Likes Received
    Good read
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,453 Messages
    3,019 Likes Received
    A powerful read.

Everyone should read it– twice.

Terrific explanation on why Rob Ryan's 3-4 defense is out of date.
  4. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,909 Messages
    753 Likes Received
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,147 Messages
    1,118 Likes Received
    Great article. Now I'm wondering where the one is about the offense, or do we wait till AFTER the change is made to say it had to be made?

Isn't this also, in some ways, an indictment against resigning a 32 year old gunslinger? I'm not anti-romo, but if you want to sell the Ryan fire as a re-imagining of our Dallas Cowboys, maybe it's time to also bring in a QB that can run this so-called next generation offense.
  6. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    They said on "The Break" that some of the Defensive staff were not getting along at the end of the season. Jerome Henderson was not attending meetings with some of the staff for some reason.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Meh, that article is way off. Jimmy didn't invent the 1-gap 43; that's ridiculous.

Nor did he have any success against OU at Okie State -- he never beat them, and gave up 38, 63, 27, 27 and 21 points to them.

Know why he beat them at Miami? Because he had insane talent on those teams, especially up front. Jimmy's teams lived in other teams' backfields and that beat basically every offense, not just Oklahoma's wishbone. Jerome Brown and Co. will do that.

And I like how he totally ignored Kiffin's record vs the spread the last couple of years.

Funny how just two years ago it was Rob who had the high-tech, whiz-bang offense that had buffaloed Brady and Brees. Now it's all outdated and 72-year-old Kiffin has the defense for the latest and greatest. :rolleyes:

I'm not even against the 43 cover-2 or Kiffin at all. At the very least I think we'll be more sound and won't beat ourselves with mistakes as often. But there's a lot of hope-reaching in this "article".
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,147 Messages
    1,118 Likes Received
    Hate to double dip, but man does this sound good:

I'll also add that while they say Jerry became aware of this, this year. There's some evidence to suggest they were thinking 4-3 before that. Remember when they said they'd have taken Wagner in the 2nd if they hadn't grabbed Claiborne?
  9. MichaelWinicki

32,453 Messages
    3,019 Likes Received
    I know what you're saying...

But I think there are several players on the defense that have more than enough speed to make this switch:

The two corners
    Two of the three linebackers (don't know who the 3rd one is)
    Ware
    Lissmore, Crawford and Hatcher are fast enough for the defensive line.

If Spencer stays, he's fast enough. If not, then they need someone.

Safety is a "push". Tampa's defense didn't feature 4.4 safeties.

The defense isn't that far off (speed wise).
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,571 Messages
    1,429 Likes Received
    This defense needs 3 key pieces to work.

1) Big defensive tackle as of today they dont have.

2) Fast weak side speed LB. Where does Carter play?

3) Safety play. Sensabaugh is rumored out. Church is coming off an achilles. Johnson after being injured as a senior didnt even make it out of the trainers room last year.

For this to work alot of pieces that are at best questionable and at worst non existent have to fall in place.
  11. MichaelWinicki

32,453 Messages
    3,019 Likes Received
    A big DT?

Why?

Kiffin didn't have a big DT at Tampa.

And Carter played OLB in college.

Johson didn't have big DT's at Dallas.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    And why is a big DT more important in the 4-3 than what we were using in the 3-4?

If we're going by prototypes, both Lee and Carter are WAY more in line with a prototype 4-3 LB than a prototype 3-4 LB. 3-4 LBs ideally weight 250+ because they have unprotected gap control, and are often asked to stack and shed 330 lbs. offensive guards. That's why Wade ran off DeMarco Ryans in Houston to bring in Bradie James.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I think both Rat and Spears (who excelled in the 4-3 at LSU) could play the defensive front for Kiffin.
  14. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,757 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    In either 3/4 or 4/3 we have needs.

Our personnel actually favors a 4-3 as Lee and Carter are ideal 4-3 backers. What is really lacking is S play and depth in DL to rotate in fresh bodies constantly.

Oh, Morris really going to have to step up in his CB spot to play physical. In someways Scandrick may fit better in Cover Two than Morris.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,147 Messages
    1,118 Likes Received
    I would LOVE to see Spears earn and excel as a starter. The dude deserves it. He gets bagged on so much, but he's never complained about his role and consistently talks about how his life could be worse than being a roleplayer in the NFL.
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    No Ryan and no Henderson now?

I guess nobody was at these meetings and somehow the most publicly visible football team in the NFL was able to keep it under wraps.
  17. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Is Scandrick an option at FS? I don't know how much run support the FS is required to give, but if it is minimal then maybe he can do it.
  18. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If the trend on offense is to run more options why doesn't Dallas do it?
  19. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,500 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    That's was a good article, still not sold on Mr. Kiffen though.
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,215 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    We need better safeties.

Doesn't make a difference what the scheme is.

But outside of that, we could probably use some speed at the SAM and strongside DE. Although if we retain Spencer at SDE, then I think that gives us good team speed. Particularly if we find a SAM backer with good speed...which isn't exactly mandatory. The Bears ran this scheme with Urlacher (very fast), Briggs (about Lee's speed, slower than Carter) and Hunter Hillenmeyer. They had Adawale Ogunlye and Alex Brown at the DE's. So not exaclty like their speed was far superior than ours.

YR