1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Cut Vollers????

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Teague31, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    If Flo goes down, then what? Do you slide Rob over to LT and put Tucker at RT...... we all better keep our fingers crossed for Flo's good health... he just became the most important player on the team.
  2. smashmouth

smashmouth Benched

1,411 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They are making room to bring in others IMO.
  3. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i agree....i think they are long from being finished finalizing the bottom of the roster
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,641 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received

True. But the thing is Vollers sucked for the most part this preseason. Tucker and Petitti have far more upside.

Like Bill has said in the past, "You have to look and see where a young guy will be at in a short time as opposed to where a more established player is" or words to that affect.
  5. BlueStar II

BlueStar II New Member

1,813 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I also agree, I think the bottom of the roster will be in a state of flux for awhile.
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We were only going to keep 3 OT's. Jerry said on Norm yesterday that Tucker is having his best year ever as a Cowboy. Bill has been playing Tucker some at LT during camp. Seems he really turned things around after struggling that first week.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    I think it just BPs MO to cut guys who dont have the talent to start after 3 years. If you are at that point or beyond then like Carson, Scott, Vollers and Morgan you are gonna get cut unless you are very good on ST.

I did like Vollers and do think another team with a different attitude will snatch him up but BP wants guys who can be starters. Vollers was easily beaten out by Rob and doesn't have the athletic potential of Tucker.
  8. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,850 Messages
    1,840 Likes Received
    By cutting veterens, you do not have to pay them their full years pay if you sign after the first game. Could be brought back later. If you keep him, and he is on the roster the first game, then if you cut him, then he gets the entire year's pay, not week to week. Salary cap issues there a possiblity. So keep the less paid layer, try to slip him on the PS.

Or most likely, he was as good as someone else .
  9. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,254 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Bingo!
  10. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,068 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    Vollers being cut seemed likely when Walter started getting time at left tackle.

More surprising was Walter being cut and Noll being kept.
  11. K-DOGG

K-DOGG Member

129 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is'nt it ironic that after all preseason of talking about cutting Torrin Tucker, that he is still here and Vollers is the one that was 86th!!!!
  12. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,183 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    You know ... this kills my roster update for ESPN NFL 2k5. Fark.

Now I gotta do this thing all over again!!!
  13. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  14. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I also think that the Cowboys are going to bring in a veteran or other team castoff O/T. Vollers hurt his wrist somewhat, and was frequently mentioned as swing backup at both O/T positions. Now that Petiti has proven himself and is already a 4 year starter as a LEFT tackle, he becomes Flo's backup and we go with three until the right veteran or cut comes along after 1st game.

I like the Price and Fujita additions. I think axing Robinson was a big mistake, to save $300,000 or so. That snapper position has haunted us in past. I'm not sold on the older FS from KC either. KC's defense has sucked, how many of their castoffs do we really want. Fujita at least is proven and suited to a 3-4.

Larry
  15. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't know how ironic it is that Vollers was cut, but you could certainly say it for Tucker still being on the team.
  16. MichaelWinicki

32,641 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received

Nice analysis JT.
  17. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,469 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    The important point is that it was only people here talking about cutting Tucker...you never heard that from Valley Ranch.
  18. MichaelWinicki

32,641 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received

Larry I really don't think so. Unless an injury occurs, these three tackles are "it" for the season.
  19. MichaelWinicki

32,641 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received

True. We unfortunately base everything from the games and virtually nothing from anything else.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,646 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    You are soooooooo right.