1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why didn't Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder fight the cap penalty harder?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    When the totally unjust cap penalty was levied against the Cowboys and the Redskins, I thought Jerry and Dan would unleash hellfire fighting it. It was so absurd. Somehow we violated the salary cap in a CAPLESS year. Both Jerry and Dan have a lot of financial resources. They could have hired the best lawyers available. They're both highly successful business men who are used to getting their way. They could have made clear to Goodell that this would not stand and if he didn't reverse his absurd penalty, they would drag the NFL through the courts and eventually win. Instead, it seems they gave up and walked away with a whimper.

And now we're tight under the cap and struggling to fill needed positions.
  2. Fmart322

Fmart322 Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    I think it's because had they went to the ends of the earth to battle the NFL Over this it would open a big ol can of worms. The NFLPA would have sued over collusion, they still might. The nfl would be wide open for all to see how it works, something they don't want.
    That being said, don't be surprised if the redskins continue the fight. They have more to gain/lose in this.
  3. Shadowy329

Shadowy329 Member

232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jerry could have fought harder and probably should have but it was likely ultimately deemed not worth the effort for a fairly small penalty that is pretty easily over come with reworking contracts.

Snyder he probably wants/wanted to fight harder but they have been abusing the system for a while now and deserved the penalty if not more of a penalty they received.

Imo anyways.
  4. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
  5. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,461 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    I dont know about the Skins, but rumor has it that Jerry didnt fight it because he wants to host another SB and taking the league to court would end any chance he would have to do that for the next 20 years.
  6. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    What do you mean dragged them through the courts? What law did Goodell violate?
  7. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    The Sherman Anti trust act was clearly violated as the rest of the owners colluded by instituting a "cap" in a year with no cap

Now Mike Shanahan at his end of season press conference did indicate something is still going on behind the scenes

http://redskins.espn980.com/bloggers/chris-russell/item/822-do-the-redskins-have-any-$hot

8. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    what rule did the Skins and Boys violate?
    answer: none, but yet they got penalized for ignoring a verbalized, unenforcible non-legal warning.
    It basically amounted to the speed limit being repealed for a few days and the cops say "don't speed during those days", but you do anyway and then they retroactively punish you, which is the same as "ex post facto" and deemed very unconstitutional.
    I understand that the NFL doesn't operate necessarily under normal civilian rules and regulations when it comes to these things but what kind of precedent does it set... that essentially, if all the other owners gang up on a successful team and penalize it half its salary cap, then what's to stop them from doing that? That is near to what happened here, except of course neither the skins or us were that successful haha.
    why not start a coalition to keep the Patriots out of the playoffs and take half their salary cap? I think everyone is pretty equally sick of them in the playoffs.
  9. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,382 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    Yep, this here, or Jerry would fight harder
  10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,403 Messages
    640 Likes Received
    I believe there's something about biting the hand that feeds you that didn't appeal to Jerry. Compared to Washington's penalty, it was fairly miniscule. In the end, it's entirely possible it wouldn't have been worth the trouble nor the expense of legal action for Dallas to pursue it further. It's conceivable that Washington may not share that same sentiment. I'm not sure if both have totally dismissed their pursuit of legal action, although if they indeed have, it seems we'd all be well aware of it by now. Perhaps both sides are hoping it'll eventually fade away into an extremely unpleasant memory. In any case, legal action has never been a fast-moving affair. Time will tell.
  11. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,204 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    I don't know that Goodell himself necessarily broke any laws, but the other owners in the league clearly engaged in collusion, which is illegal, bottom line. Jerry could (and I think he would) have kept the battle over this going, however like several other posters have said it's really a matter of risk vs reward in his case. Pursuing the fight any further would put him at odds with the league and the other owners, and could hurt his chances of hosting another SB in the near future. If the Cowboy's penalty was harsher I think Jerry would've fought harder.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Because they deserved them.
  13. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    It looked and felt like an under the table agreement, stinks to high heaven how it was done during the Saints debacle.
  14. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,126 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    Yes...You know that Jerry definitely wants another SB and taking the league to court he may have won the battle but lost the war. Anyone know how much Jerry stands to make by hosting another SB ?
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,501 Messages
    9,653 Likes Received
    That's what I'm thinking.

Plus, our cap situation was already bad before that penalty.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,794 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    IT was collusion but if Jerruh and Snyder took it to court there was a decent chance the whole thing could unravel; I mean the CBA, the League, everything.

So in the end they decided not to
  17. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,450 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    How do you figure that the Cowboys and Redskins broke a rule that wasn't actually in effect and why should the be penalized for it?
  18. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,204 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    Exactly. The penalties that were imposed on both teams are complete BS. In fact, the 'Skins and Cowboys were the only teams that didn't engage in the shady collusion that the rest of the owners engaged in. Snyder and Jones are absolutely in the right on this, however fighting it wouldn't be worth the crapstorm that it would cause in the long run.
  19. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Well, then you have your answer. The only legal recourse Jerry had was to sue the league as a monopoly and kill the golden goose that makes him a very very wealthy man. Jerry's choice was not pay people $5 million or destroy the very thing that makes him the owner of a $1.85 billion asset. It would be silly to ruin your fortune over a little swipe to the ego.

We may not like it, but that's how society is sometimes. Sometimes a majority gangs up on a minority in an unjust way and the minority just has to take it.
  20. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,450 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    I know this was a league wide imposed penalty, but does anyone else have a vastly superior amount of hate towards Mara over this situation?