1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why do we always draft so many projects?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by DOUBLE WING, Apr 29, 2011.

1. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,284 Messages
    910 Likes Received
    I've never understood this. It seems like every year we have a guy on our board way higher than everyone else does who either has injury concerns or some other kind of concerns, and we always draft him higher than anyone else had them going. Or we go into a draft like 2009 where we draft solely for SPECIAL TEAMS, picking guys who defensively are nothing but projects. It's like Jerry's way of constantly trying to prove that he's the smartest guy in the room.

It happens again now with Carter. Not that he's a bad player, but you're talking about a guy who is undersized, never played inside and has a major knee injury. This is the very definition of a huge risk. We're banking our future at ILB on two guys with huge injury red flags. And even if he is back for training camp, most people seem to think he won't really be ready to contribute this year. SO WHY DRAFT HIM?
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,914 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    if he plays nickle what more can you ask for his first year in a new defense...not too many teams run a 3-4 in college(that has good players)
    plus we needed someone with speed and that can blitz. Speed and coverage ability to cover back and te's so our safeties doesn't have to help them so much and end up leaving our CB's out to dry.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    None of these guys can be considered projects.
  4. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Go look at the cowboys draft section 2011, I posted info on carter and videos. Would have been a top 20 round player picked in 1st round if not injured. Can cover alot of ground, great special teams player and will hit, but needs to wrap up better. Runs about a 4.54 now due to knee injury, played safety starting out at north carolina some.

Special teams demon, but helped north carolina be a top team in 2009 etc and alittle last year before hurt in december, i have videos on him.

Now, this is the part I dont like, that last 2 picks was said to say, one of the best evaluators in football said carter was great linebacker for linebacker evaluation. That person was larry lacewell. So, what is tom ciwoskwi doing? our head scout director.

I dont understand drafting murray when willl rackley was sitting there and kendrick ellis who just went to the jets i think in 2nd round at end of draft.

Murray has been injury prone, if im not mistaken, in a big bowl game, murray had some injury pregame so he couldnt play.

Injury prone to me. What I dont understand is this, are the dallas cowboys coaches and jerry jones blind? There was no holes running inside by our OGs, how can murray run, when no holes, you needed to take a big bruising OG like rackley.

What will further fustrate you is this if you havent heard. Jerry Jones said he talked to a former cowboys coach, coach barry switer recommended murray, and jerry jones said on good advice on switzer who jerry jones thinks highly of as an evaluator on football talent, took murray.

When, switzer was here, we took players he recommended, and how did they do. Same thing with larry lacewell, who ran the draft for jerry after jimmy johnson left and coach campo was here too, how did those drafts do for you? Parcells ran larry lacewell off, so why is jerry who said he listens to his scouting department, listening to lacewell and switzer?

Just frustrating to me and that right there to me, says who is running this draft to a large degree, Jerry Jones. I havent posted any videos or info on murray because im frustrated on the murray pick:starspin
  5. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This.
  6. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...........Dallas........we have a problem.:D The bootlegger's boy......he's a dandy alright. Probably extracted 5 figures or more from Jerrah for his ''expertise''. He's like a boil that won't go away.:eek:
  7. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Barry knows RB talent, he's also very well tuned into Norman.

He was an awful hire as a HC here, but he isnt an idiot. He was an awesome college football coach who was a tremendous recruiter.
  8. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Bruce Carter a project huh?

If not for one play he likely would of been gone in the top 20 picks.

Not typically a place for a "project" to be taken.
  9. DOUBLE WING

3,284 Messages
    910 Likes Received
    Yes yes, people keep mentioning that because Mayock mentioned it on the draft broadcast. He wasn't ever going to be ranked higher than Miller or Ayers. I'm not convinced he would have been drafted any higher without the knee injury. So yes, he's a project, he's a smaller player who is coming off a major knee injury that is going to have to play a new position in a new scheme.
  10. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,045 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Gotcha, he's a project because you said so.
  11. DOUBLE WING

3,284 Messages
    910 Likes Received
    Where did I say that? It's not about what I said. Use your own mind and look at the situation. He's small, coming off a knee injury and needs to learn a new position. How is that not a project? We have no idea whether he'll be able to hold up as a 3-4 ILB.

Again though, I actually don't think Carter is a bad player. The player himself could be solid, I just don't like the LINE OF THINKING that goes through Jerry's head to make a pick like that.

The only pick that really irked me is Murray.
  12. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I dont get how a former top 20 talent before an injury is a bad player. He may need some work but if hes top 20 talent and will end being as good as a first round pick, hell I'll take it. Plus he can ease in, Sean Lee and Bradie James can hold it down till hes ready, brooking if he stays. Needs time, but a BAD player?
  13. CowboysNumeroUno

CowboysNumeroUno Member

461 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How many college teams run a 3-4??? I can only think of Alabama
  14. DOUBLE WING

3,284 Messages
    910 Likes Received
    Sorry, typo. I meant I DON'T think he's a bad player.
  15. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Mike Mayock said Bruce Carter was a TOP 15 pick before the knee injury and the doctors say he should be ready by training camp. ACL injuries are routine and common for today's athletes. So it's in no way career threatening.

I honestly don't understand the criticism of this pick. Bradie James is washed up and we need athletic inside LBers.
  16. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Ahh I see, that makes a lot more sense lol
  17. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Mayock did not have to say it, anyone who more then casually follow the draft knows it.

Believe me, no one is trying to convince you of anything. Either you know what your talking about or you dont.
  18. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Now I know your pulling **** from left field. He's bigger then any LB we have on the field.
  19. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fact check time--

At pick 9, we chose Tyron Smith, rated 10th overall by NFL Draft Scout...

At pick 40, we chose Bruce Carter, rated 51st by NFLDS...

At pick 71, we chose DeMarco Murray, rated 64th by NFLDS...

Hmmmm, don't see anybody who, as you said "we have a guy on our board way higher than everyone else does"... perhaps you could point him out to me??
  20. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,225 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    How is Bradie James washed up? Honestly, please explain to me why you think this.

He's had consistently the same stats since he became a starter, plus his tackles have steadily increased each year. In fact, he had the most tackles of his career last year. I'm not sure where you're getting that he's washed up.