1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why doesn't Tebow play RB or FB?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by mgcowboy, Dec 20, 2012.

1. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Active Member

1,090 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I know it's off topic but I keep wondering why doesn't he switch to RB or FB?

He would be a BEAST from the way he runs at defenses and he can do some nice blocking as well...

If he accepts it and embraces it I would take him in a split second...

You don't have to be a QB to influence teams/games

:cool:
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,239 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Because he can't.
  3. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I think he can play gunner on special teams
  4. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    Whats his 40 time?

If he could do those things he would already be doing them for the Jets.
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,073 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    He wants an opportunity to play QB, and he hasn't really gotten a shot. I think he would fail, but I can't blame him for wanting a shot.
  6. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

993 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Can he catch? Seems like he could be a decent TE.
  7. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Alright, you're a QB.. can you farm?
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
  9. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,322 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    I get weary of the disrespect shown to Tebow. I also get weary of the nonsensical nature of it.

Tim Tebow has started 16 regular season games in the NFL. He started all 16 of those games on a team that was bad, hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years.

He went 9-7

He played a team in the playoffs that hadn't given up 300 passing yards in a game in forever.

NO ONE. No one gave him and that team a chance in that game.

They won, he threw for over 300 yards.

His career passer rating is higher than Mark Sanchez's. Not higher for a game or two. Higher over their career.

People can say all they want what he can't do. He can win regular season football games as a QB. He did. He can lead a team to the playoffs as a starting QB in the NFL. He did. He can win a playoff game as a starting NFL QB, he did.

Don't tell me what you think, because I'll tell you what he did.

I've heard all the excuses (for someone's success, which is strange). The defense, luck, a kicker, blah, blah blah.

All that stuff is lame. Does Terry Bradshaw win 4 Super Bowls without the Steel curtain? No.

Does Tom Brady win 2 of his 3 Super Bowls without a kicker that not only saved his skin in Super Bowls, but got him there (can you say Raiders playoff game in the snow?).

The game of football is a TEAM SPORT. Tebow has played his part of the puzzle well enough to do what I pointed out.

If I owned the Jacksonville Jaguars I would take him in a heart beat, hire a head coach that would build an offense around the guy and the way he plays football, and I guarantee that the team would be a winner as soon as the rest of the team improved.

Tebow in the backfield and Jones-Drew immediately becomes even better.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,649 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    Because Josh McDaniels was dumb enough to draft him in the 1st round as a QB.
  11. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,322 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    I'll say again, every time the kid has been given a legitimate chance he has done well. No one can dispute that. And if they do they have to try and explain away success. Telling.
  12. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,162 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Nobody got the Mitch reference.
  13. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,239 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    It isn't disrespect. It is just the truth. In order to win a Superbowl, which is supposed to be the goal, teams need a better QB than Tebow. Sure you can win some games and maybe even a playoff game, but ultimately you need your QB to be able to play at a consistently higher level than Tebow has shown. As you said look at what he has done. He doesn't play with a consistent high level of accuracy or passing production.

I say the same things about Mark Sanchez. When his defense was top notch and he had a strong running game his team could win some games and even win a playoff game. Once you get a drop off in that supporting cast Sanchez showed he was not able to elevate his game enough to overcome that. Tebow is no different.

Look at Denver this year. Pretty much the same pieces. With a consistent QB threat they aren't just getting by in close wins, they are playing much better. That doesn't mean they win a Superbowl this year, but I think they are in better position than if they still had Tebow.

I saw what he did. What he did worked when he faced less than stellar competition last season. That doesn't happen once you get deep in the playoffs. The further along you get, the better the competition gets. What he does just isn't good enough unless you can count on a top defense and a top running game. Not many teams have both and even then, he may not have enough to complement that.

I would also not count on Maurice Jones-Drew if Tebow goes to the Jags. He has done very little this season and will be 28 next year. He is perhaps starting that downward slide that most backs face.
  14. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Sad bunch here.
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    You didn't make it through 2 sentences of your little monologue here without some bs. Its not the truth.

You conveniently ignore that the only shot Tebow had in the playoffs, he led his team to a win against the tough Steelers D, and the next game against the Pats the Broncos D let up 35 points in the first half and rendered Denver's chances in that game hopeless.

Its most certainly NOT a fact that Tebow couldn't take a team to the top though.
  16. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

163 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Except for the fact that Peyton Manning is, if not the best, one of the 2 best QBs to step on a football field in the last 30 years. The Broncos didn't just add some Joe Schmo.

Tebow is good enough to win in this league, he's shown he can. He might not be good enough to win with a ****ty team, but if he has a good team, he's certainly capable of leading them. He's responsible with the ball, brings a different dynamic, and is a hell of a worker. He might not be the best passer, but you bet your *** he'll do his homework and work on improving to no end. Tim Tebow is a football player, and quite frankly I'd take him on the Cowboys any day of the week. (Not to play QB, I'm more then happy with Tony)

And the way the Jets have gone about this entire situation is just awful and I'm glad they're being blasted it for it. They deserve the **** storm they are getting right now.

If they were smart, they would start Tebow these last 2 games and try and boost his trade value. A team like Arizona should be knocking on the Jets door the day the season ends.
  17. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,889 Messages
    380 Likes Received

Wonder how many games he would have won without that Denver D...
  18. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

826 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    He was the only guy to throw for over 300 yards on the Steelers last season, but yeah.

I just think he got shafted by Elway telling him he'd be the starter going into training camp, and definitely by Rex Ryan.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,558 Messages
    3,843 Likes Received
    Maybe he could play FB but I wouldn't put him there. I would consider him as an F back/TE though. He's not fast but he has good cones. He could play some TE IMO. However, why not just get a TE with more size and/or speed. He's not a RB although he could probably get you 4 yards from a 3 yard hole. Someone without a QB should give the guy a chance. Jacksonville or AZ come to mind.
  20. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,645 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Makes me wonder why the team he is on and the NFL coaches that watch him every week would rather play McElroy.