1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why doesn't Tebow play RB or FB?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by mgcowboy, Dec 20, 2012.

1. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    The problem with Tebow is that he cannot run a pro style offense. Denver had to completely change to a college offense for Tebow to have any success.

The reason Rex Ryan passed over Tebow to McElroy is becuase Ryan is not prepared to completely change the offense that has been in place all year. And he knows Tebow can't run it. He has seen it in practice. So he is going to McElroy instead.

If Tebow wants to play QB, he needs to find a team ready to commit to running a college style offense. If he can't find one, he may be able to play QB in Canada.

Otherwise he will need to play a TE or something.

Two teams have seen him at QB and have decided to look elsewhere. That should tell him something.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    I didn't ignore anything. I said he could win regular season games and even win a playoff game, which he has done. I don't think he is good enough to take his team to a Superbowl unless that team is down right loaded with talent in all other areas. And as we all know few teams are perfect in every area. There are always going to be weaknesses. I for one don't one the QB to be one of the biggest weakness on my team and Tebow is more a weakness than a strength.

What BS? I said he isn't accurate. That is just fact. He only completed 46.5% of his passes. That can't even be categorized as average.

He had 11 starts last year and produced 217.2 yards per game. That too is not even considered average. Keep in mind, that is 217.2 yards including passing yards and rushing yards. His passing numbers were 157.2 yards per game. This is a passing league, so that isn't going to cut it.

You don't need to have the best QB in the league to win championships. If you have a very good all around team then you can get by with someone who isn't the top guy. Still you need a guy who is better than average and at least in the top half of the league. Tebow was not one of the top 16 QBs last season. If you don't have that then you better have an all time great defense to cover for his lack of production. As you pointed out and put all the blame on, the Broncos didn't have an all time great defense last year. The result was a blow out

And it is ridiculous when someone says that when Tebow gets a chance he produces as a way to insinuate that he isn't getting a chance now. He gets a chance every time he goes to team meetings and straps on the pads during practice. Those are his chances to show something to the coaches and staff. He fails.
  3. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    If you put Tebow in Washington right now he would still struggle. They run a college style system, but he is not a good enough passer to be successful in it. He isn't accurate enough.
  4. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    If he's not on the field.. he's not getting a chance. Its silly to suggest that he's getting chances right now in team meetings, etc.. lets be realistic here.

Was Miles Austin getting his chances before the injury that allowed him to finally see the field and show the coaches that he should have been on the field all along?

Honestly though, Tebow should be glad he's going to get a chance to move on from that pathetic organization. I wouldn't want to be the QB there anyway. Why trade for him if you don't think he's worth playing?

As much of a joke as people think the Cowboys are.. that's just ridiculous over there.
  5. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    Miles should not have been on the field all along. He wasn't ready coming from a small school. He had a lot to learn. Same applies to Romo. He sat for 3 years for a reason. Sat behind some bad QBs because he still had things to learn at the NFL level. Coaches can see that when they talk to the guys in meetings and see them in practice. When Tebow can't hit open receivers in practice with no real pressure why would the coaches think he can do it in live action especially when his history shows he is inaccurate.

It is not silly to say team meetings count. If he can't show an understanding of the offensive system or scheme in a meeting room then that is not going to change on the field. The game has some critical mental aspects to it and discussing things in meetings is just as important as lifting weights and getting throwing reps in.

The Jets are the second team willing to cut him loose. That is telling. Peyton Manning isn't getting any younger. You figured the Broncos would have been happy to keep Tebow to learn behind Peyton, but they must be a pathetic organization as well.
  6. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,816 Messages
    1,028 Likes Received
    At some point the people saying he can't do it are the silly ones.

Let me get this right. On a team that hadn't been to playoffs in 5 years and was 1-4 when he took over, he did ALL THE THINGS that people say he can't do.

He won regular season games 7-4

He won a playoff game against one of the top pass defenses in the league while throwing for over 300 yards. Setting an NFL record for a playoff game average yards per completion.

We are told all the things he CAN'T DO, when the only times he has been given opportunities HE HAS DONE IT.

it is silly.

Why is he not given then chance consistently? I have my own ideas about that, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. What does matter is that I hope he gets that chance soon, and with a team that will give him a real chance.
  7. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    John Fox and Rex Ryan disagree with you. But what do they know?

And if you think he's not getting a chance to play because of his Christian beliefs, think again. Fox and Ryan would play Martians at QB if they thought it would help them win football games.
  8. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    This isn't some grand conspiracy. He isn't good enough.

Funny how you are all for blaming the Broncos defense when they gave up 35 points to the Patriots in a loss, but won't credit them when they played very well during their winning streak last year. They also only gave up 7 points to the Chiefs in the 2011 season finale last year, but the Broncos lost because the great Tebow led them to 3 points. In an era when anything under 60% is considered inaccurate, Tebow is below 50%. Michael Vick is way more accurate and is not good enough to win a Superbow, yet he has won regular season games and playoff games.
  9. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,816 Messages
    1,028 Likes Received
    I don't care what they think they know when his performance contradicts what they think they know. I learned a long time ago that the so-called experts can be quite wrong. Where did the experts grade Brady coming out of the draft? or drew Pearson. or a whole host of others? Jim Plunkett was written off as finished before one team gave him a chance to resurrect his career.

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  10. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    What contradiction? He is not accurate at throwing the ball. He has done nothing to contradict that. He also doesn't have a grasp of making quick reads and decisions. That is a huge reason why he has a 10.2% sack percentage for his career. He holds the ball too long and takes sacks instead of finding the open receiver or getting the ball out to avoid sacks. Tony Romo for example has a 5.2% sack percentage for his career and 5.3% for this season. Peyton Manning has a 3.9% sack percentage in Denver. I don't see how is performance is contradicting anything.
  11. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,816 Messages
    1,028 Likes Received
    9-7 on a bad team
    7-4 (after 1-4)
    Playoff win over Pittsburgh, threw for over 300 yards

If you can't see a contradiction, stop seeing Jeff Triplett's eye doctor

By the way, do those QB's rush for 660 yards in a season? Its a different style.

In addition, he had the best QBR rating in the 4th quarter in the NFL last year.
  12. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    They lost 3 in a row to end the regular season, so no I don't see a contradiction

Those 660 rushing yards only help if he is producing somewhat decent passing numbers as well. Rushing yards can be a deadly compliment to a good passing game; however, he only averaged 157 passing yards per start last season. That is not good enough. No team wants to play that type of style. Romo doesn't need rushing yards to outproduce Tebow.

He was in the bottom third of QBs for passer rating and QBR last year.

You want to blame the "bad team" for all the losses and give Tebow all the credit for the wins. His "bad team" kept the games close in order for him to have success in the 4th quarter. That same "bad team" is still playing with Manning and playing at a much higher level with a real passing threat at the helm. Tebow has some value, but he also has some severe limitations. I wouldn't count on him winning a Superbowl unless I had a truly great defense, a strong offensive line and a terrific set of receiving threats.
  13. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,169 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    He does not want to play those positions.

Good defense and running game and Tebow could win a QB. Also he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Rex was just to stubborn to play him where he belongs. I guarantee you the Jets would have a better record if Rex didn't hate Tebow.
  14. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    He makes lots of mistakes. He takes sacks when he should get rid of the ball. He fumbles a lot. He had 13 fumbles last season. He doesn't throw a lot of interceptions because he is very inaccurate and nobody can catch his poor passes.
  15. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,816 Messages
    1,028 Likes Received
    you cherry pick what you want see just like his average critic. nothing new to see here. I can answer every point you have made but why sing to a deaf man?
    even if I could convince you it changes nothing. I hope he ends up in Jax. he will shut the mouths of his critics

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  16. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    See.. the problem with your theory is that you assume that coaches always know best.. and i think most of us are old enough to realize that's a bunch of baloney.

You can sit here and guess what you think or don't think Tebow is capable of, but to say anything definitively one way or the other is showing your lack of understanding on the subject.

Tebow has been given one chance.. and he played far better than anyone thought he would. If given a consistent starting role, there's no telling what he could accomplish. I'll tell you this much though, i'd start him in a second over Mark Sanchez. Ryan and that organization don't have a clue.

I agree with you about his physical QB skills.. he reminds me alot of Matt Leinart coming out. All the accolades, Heisman winner, etc.. but had a noodle arm and couldn't make the NFL throws.. but Tebow just has a quality about him that makes people around him better.
  17. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,920 Messages
    2,119 Likes Received
    The answer is quite obvious. :bang2:
  18. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,093 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, he's not the first awful QB who's ever had a good game. Every time the Broncos fell behind a few scores and he couldn't lean in the running game he was nothing short of pathetic. He was good as long as the D kept it close for him which a lot of the time meant keeping it under 20 points. Tebow didn't lead that team to the playoffs their D did.

This year you see what happens when you give a team with a defense like that a real QB
  19. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    So your telling us that we should ignore people like John Fox and Rex Ryan, guys who have watched and coached players for decades, guys who have watched Tebow practice every day, and instead listen to you? :lmao2:

I've watched this guy play. I don't want him anywhere near my team, unless he's a backup RB or something.
  20. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    No, it is you who have cherry picked things in this thread. I have stated facts about his inaccuracy, which you fail to acknowledge. You say you can answer every point, but have failed to do so multiple times already. A 47.9% completion percentage in a career just doesn't cut it. And when he fails in Jacksonville you will just claim it was because they are a poorly run franchise.

Tebow. Good leader. Good person. Poor passer. Average at best QB.

Not at all. I watched Tebow in the pre-season and saw that he didn't look any better than he did last year. I have also listened to guys that have seen him in training camp and on the practice field. There have been a high number of analysts that go to the practices and observe Tebow in drills both last season and this season. They all say he doesn't look good out there in a practice environment.

And no he didn't play far better than anyone thought he would. He struggled to hit open receivers. He couldn't make quick decisions, which led to sacks and fumbles. He could not consistently lead his teams to scores. If he outplayed expectations, then those expectations must have been very low.

I agree, that nothing anyone says will change my opinion of Tim Tebow. Only his play can do that and I highly doubt it will. I have watched him all through his days at UF. While his abilities were highly useful in college, they just aren't good enough at the NFL level. Same with Vince Young and Young is a more accurate passer than Tebow.