1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why I Am Looking Forward To Next Season

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yakuza Rich, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Yes. We got out schemed after the defense did all it could giving up nearly 300 yards of rushing.

Down with the coach. He's the problem.

What awful luck we have going through this long line of incompetent coaches holding back all our talent.
  2. Risen Star

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    He looked awful. But he got bailed out by the run game. Any other day 100 yards on 50% completion percentage get you blown out of the building.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,045 Messages
    2,273 Likes Received
    Our defense kept us in it all night.

The basic offense we run just got schooled in a big game.

Our Oline did a heck of a job considering they were getting tee'd off on and Garrett did absolutely nothing to help them out. Same old story though.

I forgot though.. Playcalling doesn't matter.
  4. Risen Star

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Only because the QB sucked.

No defense in the history of the league gets credit for holding a team just shy of 300 yards rushing.

This is embarrassing for you.
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    I'm always of the mindset that the team has to look out for the future, years down the road. I'm not a fan of going for the gusto in 1 year. Often times, that backfires. And it can backfire hard like it did for the Eagles with their 'Dream Team.'

For me, the more times we make the playoffs, the more likely you are going to win the Super Bowl at least once. Unfortunately, we don't have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning on the team.

To me, Romo is a good, but not elite starting QB. The problem is that we too often put him in a position to fail. We have too many incompetent WR's and O-Linemen. If they are not on their game, stuff breaks down and turnovers happen. When you're playing in the postseason, you're playing against better teams that make plays. So when somebody screws up, that opposing team is likely to make a big play. The first INT Ogletree screwed up. The third INT while Romo made a bad decision, it didn't help that the LB (Fletcher, IIRC) had a free shot at Romo.

On defense, we have terrible safeties. Not only do they struggle to make INT's, something that has killed us over the years. But, they struggle to do what the title of their job says...be the last line of defense. When we really need a stop on defense, we can't do it. And then it's up to the offense and Romo to succeed again.

To me, there's a HUGE difference in the games that the Steelers defense has won for Big Ben and the amount of games the Cowboys defense has won for Romo.

I don't pass the blame away from Romo and I think we would be foolish to not too towards the future at QB. But, unless we get another Tom Brady or Peyton Manning type at QB, those holes on the team will cause us to 'choke' again and again.

YR
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,045 Messages
    2,273 Likes Received
    They weren't giving up points. All night we had chances to take the lead and force them to pass. Instead we watched our offense never have an answer for what they were doing defensively.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    I'm not looking forward to next season at all under Garrett.

Some of the names may change, but we'll still see this exact same team. Offense that cant score, defense that is afraid of the ball.

If he gives up playcalling and gets a true OC, then I'll be much more optimistic.
  8. Falcon554

Falcon554 Benched

1,187 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    With you 1000%
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,045 Messages
    2,273 Likes Received
    Depends who the coordinator is. Cam Cameron wouldn't do anything for me.

If we're not playing with urgency and fast tempo then it's just pointless.

We can't continue to run a offense that lets defenses dictate what we do.
  10. phildominator

phildominator Member

679 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So statistical hocus pocus is our basis for a bright 2013. Huh. That's what it's degenerated into.

Same post could have been at the end of our last two seasons, or for the Browns every year.
  11. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Garretts still going to be around CONSISTENTLY biffing game management in tight situations. 9-7 at best. This guy doesnt know what he is doing and doesnt seem capable of learning.
  12. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,803 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    At least that'll get us in the playoffs. You have to get to the big dance first to even have a chance.

Romo is good enough on a decent team with good headcoach. But he is not good enough to carry a team. Unfortunately, he is too good to just be a bus driver and coaches often forget to control him better.
  13. btcutter

2,803 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Playcalling matters but execution matters too. Our OL is bad. We couldn't execute a screen.

Shannonhan without RG III stunk it up in Washington last two years. Sometime having PLAYERS make all the difference in the world.
  14. btcutter

2,803 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    YR.....is Garrett a better GM than a coach?? He seems to have issues with clock management and adjustments. We've seen how it has cost us a few games. He's growing on the job but is he better suited to be a GM?
  15. Yakuza Rich

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Just because it doesn't agree with your line of thinking, which you base it off of anecdotal evidence, does not mean it's 'hocus pocus.' Not when you go back to 1999. After a while, it's just the way the NFL is. Those who don't learn from history are not only doomed to repeat it, but end up sitting at the side track wondering why they did notice what was going on in the first place.

No.

I had the Cowboys going 8-8 this year based off the statistical trends.

The Browns never have hope because they have terrible starting QB's. Teams that have losing records and make the playoffs next season usually have a decent QB and usually a veteran who can keep the team in tough games, particularly on the road.

Look at the teams that had losing records in 2011, but went to the playoffs this year.

Minnesota (Ponder)
    Washington (RG3)
    Seattle (Wilson)
    Indianapolis (Luck)

All QB's one would consider at least decent and all went to the playoffs. And before the sason, I think most people would consider all of those teams to be a long shot to making the playoffs. I predicted Seattle and Indianapolis.

It reminds me of last year when I predicted the Eagles to *not* make the playoffs because the numbers didn't work in their favor. Particularly since Vick is an injury prone QB. Those 'hocus pocus' statistics just somehow predicted it even though I was told that the great Andy Reid never fails.

YR
  16. Yakuza Rich

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    He's a good coach.

But like many good coaches, if you have one thing that holds you back and you can't get over that hurdle, you may never be as successful as you hope.

If you ever get the chance, look at the drafts Tom Coughlin had in Jacksonville and now in NYG. Different GM's, different scouts, different organizations and different conferences. Yet, his drafts were really excellent.

Why?

Coughlin knows how to develop players.

He and his scouts find players they think can fit in with his coaching and then he does a great job of developing them.

I don't think that it's a coincidence so many of the Garrett type of players are doing so well. I don't think Garrett can pick players out of a hat. I think he coaches them and develops them the right way. This is what was conveyed to me this past week by the person close to the organization (that we all know who this person is).

It's why Dez has improved dramatically. It's why guys like Harris have improved dramatically.

I know people don't want to hear this, but the way it was conveyed to me was that a lot of the problems we are having is due to Wade's lackadaisical style of coaching. You can't get rid of all of those players at once. So Garrett has had to try and turn those guys around or slowly phase them out of the organization.

YR
  17. phildominator

phildominator Member

679 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So based off your statistics, you knew 2012 season would be a set up for 2013.

:bow:

2013 isn't the Year of the Snake, it Year of the Cowboys.
  18. DoomsDayD

DoomsDayD Well-Known Member

1,674 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    It is so damn incredible that people are still making excuses for this team. It absolutely befuddles me as to how people can sit there today and offer any excuse for this team and how they performed this year. Then have the gaul to say they are excited for next year. I think these boards should separate the delusional posters from the reality ones. It is embarrassing any more.
  19. phildominator

phildominator Member

679 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    YR, what is different in the statistics that led you to predict an 8-8 2012 season versus a bright 2013?

Because you're predicting a brighter 2013 season now, before the draft, free agency and training camp.

All you've revealed for reasons to believe in a brighter 2013 is that we missed the playoffs and we have a good QB.

How's that different from 2012? We missed the playoffs in 2011 and its the same Romo as qb...yet somehow you came up with 8-8 prediction.
  20. Yakuza Rich

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    No.

Only because things could happen in 2012. We win 1 more game, we could be in the playoffs. Perhaps win the division and that changes everything. Or let's say Romo got hit with a career ending injury in week 16. Or some disaster strikes in 2013.

I'm just saying that from a historical trends and figures standpoint, we are looking pretty good and that I would be much more worried about the G-Men in 2013 than the Redskins.

YR