1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why I still believe in Sarah Palin

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wrote this the other day in response to a question I received from another poster here asking if I was concerned at all about Palin given the shaky performances she's had in some of her early interviews.

Long story short, I'm just as excited about her now as I ever was... here's why:

I don't know how much of a polished politician Sarah Palin is at this point. Clearly with a few more years on the national stage under her belt, she will be much better.

All that's a double-edged sword, however. The longer she's in office, the greater the chance that she'll be corrupted by the system. That's one of the beauties about her right now. She hasn't been around long enough to really sell out. It's almost unprecedented for a politician to reach the pinnacle of their career without having to sell their souls multiple times, and she's right there now and relatively pure in that respect. It's a unique situation.

I think in four years she'll have a lot more polish and will not get tripped up as much in these interviews... but she has to get there first.

Right now she doesn't have the luxury of getting used to the spotlight. She's under the glare and the media will be doing all they can to trip her up and expose her.

There's still a decent chance that they get their wish and can succeed in painting her as a bumpkin or an idiot beauty queen. But I hope she does well enough from here on out to keep that from happening. She's done well enough so far despite every word she says being parsed and every idiosyncrasy of her's being over-analyzed. If she can keep from being defined by her ideological enemies, then I think she is poised to be a leader of the party in 4-8 years.

If you're asking if I think she's "smart" ... or "smarter than she looks in these interviews" ... I don't really know.

I don't mean to sound flip, but I really don't care so much about that.

Her instincts are rock-solid, and she really believes in conservative, limited government... that much I'm convinced about.

And that's good enough (actually more than good enough) for me. I don't need my President to be an Ivy League PhD. I'd much rather have them have solid values, a good compass, and the wisdom to surround themselves with the right people.

Liberals make fun of Ronald Reagan's intellect, and I'm sure he wasn't the most intelligent guy we've ever had in office... but he was the best President we've had in a very long time. He had great instincts and great values. And that's far more important than having someone with a flawless grasp on the issues (as strange as that may sound).

When it comes to having the right instincts, Palin is really one of the best I have seen in a very long time... I think probably since Reagan. You can just tell by listening to her. In fact, when she's talking about something where you can tell she's not completely well-versed on the issue, you can see that while her grasp of the details is (sometimes embarrassingly) imperfect, her instincts are good. It's in many of those instances where she inadvertently disagrees with stated McCain policy. :p:

As a conservative, I think we're really lucky to have her. She just has to make it through this next month. And as a fellow conservative, I'm going to defend her as much as I can, when I think she's being attacked... because she truly is the potentially the best defender of our values that we have had on the national scene for a very long time. And when you get right down to it, that's WHY she's being attacked. She's not being attacked because the liberals think she's not prepared, they attack her because of her values and because of what she believes in.

So I refuse to fall into the trap that is being set, letting the liberals set our expectations for us (the same trap that some conservatives like that columnist Parker have fallen for). We don't need a President who can ace a pop quiz on foreign policy or the intricacies of budgetary minutiae. We need a leader... not a professor. And don't let them fool you... Obama, Biden, Pelosi... none of those politicians would satisfy the snob politics that they are trying to apply to Palin.

So far, nothing that I've seen or heard from her has given me pause. I still think she has the potential to be one of the best we've had on the national scene in a very long time.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,031 Messages
    3,263 Likes Received
    Nice read...She could indeed wind up being the best Politician/President in our near future and be held up in the future with the likes of Reagan and what we are seeing in these current interviews is just inexp and nerves that will fade away in time.

On the other hand she could wind up being viewed as a Dan Quayle for the rest of her political, or non political life and what we are seeing in these interviews is actually what she is like.

However I think you like her because she is Republican not named W or McCain.
  3. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,044 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    I just wanted to say kudos on articulating your position without the bickering/name calling we usually see here.

Do I agree with your position? No.
    Do I respectfully hear your position? Yes.
    Do I now understand why you like your positiion? Yes.

That's how it all should be, but now its like the republicans are the Longhorns and the democrats are OU and you have to profess your undying devotion to either side without using your brain.

Its no small coicendence that BrainPaint responded in like, I've noticed he takes a pretty objective view on everything as well.

Anyway...just wanted to give you props. I personally think a president should be all of the above...it can't be that hard to find someone intellectually gifted who can also lead, can it? I think her nomination had zero to do with her, rather it had to do with how she could be used, which I think is ultimately a disservice to her and puts her in these awkward situations.
  4. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for the kind words.

Just for the record, I'm not ceding the ground on whether or not she's "smart." I said I don't know at this point if she is or isn't based on what I've seen so far.

She may be very smart... and at the least she is probably much smarter than the wits at SNL are parodying her to be.

What's clear is that in this past month, she hasn't gotten completely up to speed yet on every aspect of McCain's record and every aspect of domestic and foreign policy. And really, that shouldn't be too surprising for someone who truly is inexperienced at national politics. She's not a national policy wonk and it would be surprising if someone in her position (a relative newcomer to politics) was. But that doesn't mean she's stupid or incapable of learning the issues... and I don't think that it disqualifies her from running for high national office.

When she does learn them, I have faith that her instincts of what to do on those issues will be better than most. And that's what's really important to me.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,722 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Oh oh... NOW you've done it... Danny is an OU fan... :D
  6. trickblue

28,722 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    These are the key factors to a good leader. Jimmy Carter was highly intelligent but he didn't surround himself with the right people. He attempted to micromanage everything himself and the scope of the job is just too great for one person to handle in toto. I don't care who you are...

Surrounding yourself with the right people is, I think, the most important thing you can do to achieve your goals in any organization...
  7. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was going to let that one slide... he meant well. :p:

Although if you're going to compare Norman to Austin, it's clear which ones are the Republicans and which ones are the Democrats.
  8. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Does it really bother you that SNL parodies her? I mean come on, really?

They make fun of everyone.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

60,031 Messages
    3,263 Likes Received
    Do you have to ask?
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

I know, I should already know the answer. SNL is in NY. I need to go back to the fan zone asap.
  11. trickblue

28,722 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Ain't that the truth... and I'm about to move there... Berkley East as many call it... :D

I've always said they need all of the conservatives they can get in Austin, I just had no idea it was going to be me... ;)
  12. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,749 Messages
    1,944 Likes Received
    Could it be that he was citing a specific example to illustrate a point?
  13. ScipioCowboy

14,749 Messages
    1,944 Likes Received
    And me. I received my undergraduate degree from UT.:D
  14. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received

They can do whatever they want... it doesn't bother me in the least. I'm just saying that she's probably smarter than her critics would have you believe.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

60,031 Messages
    3,263 Likes Received
    Could be, but it would be a pretty poor attempt at it since SNL has being doing it for a number of politicians over many years.

Maybe he would be better served using Jim Cafferty (I think that is his name) as an example.

JMO since you asked.:cool:
  16. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I could have used Jack Cafferty as an example, but no one really knows who he is, and I didn't even know he had attacked Palin's intelligence until about 2 minutes ago when I googled him to see what you were talking about.

Meanwhile, everyone and their dog knows that Tina Fey has been doing her "bimbo" shtick on SNL for the past couple of weeks.

Again, I don't care what SNL does... it was obvious from the moment you saw Palin's picture that they'd get Tina Fey to play her, and Fey, being a big liberal, was going to portray her unflatteringly. There's absolutely nothing surprising about that. That's been an SNL staple for decades, portraying the Republican as a bumbling idiot.

The funny thing is, my main point is that I don't care whether or not she's a genius. I would be concerned if I thought she was a complete idiot, but I don't think that's the case... I simply think that's the caricature that her opponents are trying to use against her.
  17. ScipioCowboy

14,749 Messages
    1,944 Likes Received
    And out of that "number of politicians," how many were as intellectually incompetent as SNL portrayed them to be?

Exactly.

Sarah Palin is just one more in a long line--hence why the example served to clarify his initial point.

JMO, since you cared enough to respond.:D
  18. BrAinPaiNt

60,031 Messages
    3,263 Likes Received
    So is Danny making the argument that they are just picking on her intelligence and it's not fair because of it...I took it that way.

Where they have been doing it for all of them and to further state they are in it for COMEDY AND PARODY. As opposed to people who are in the political business who speak of politics in a serious manner and not as comedy and parody. It is part of their job description to portray politicians as dumb in one form or another. I mean using that example is kind of silly since that is what they are supposed to be doing.
    And does anyone in their right mind think they are not making exaggerations through comedy and parody and in that case anybody with a brain would know that they candidate/politician is not as dumb as what they portray so it should never be used as an example...kind of a DUH.

Hence my reason that it was a poor example and mccafferty was a better example.

JMO.
  19. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As I've said before, I don't care about SNL. It's a joke... I get it. They can go many ways with their parody of her, but they go with "clueless bimbo." Why? Because that's the image that the liberals want to pin on her. Fey, SNL, of course they're liberals... but they're certainly not alone. Cafferty, whoever else you want to throw in there.

I'm saying "I don't care" if she's not a Rhodes Scholar... but I don't think she's a dolt either.
  20. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Excellent thread Danny, I enjoyed hearing your thoughts...of course I agree with you. I would like to see us with a watch dog in Washington, some of these Congressmen have been in power longer than they should have been. Palin seems like she has common sense, she has a history of fighting against the same olé same olé.