1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why I think the Cowboys kept Bill Callahan

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheSport78, Feb 2, 2014.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,445 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    It's quite possible that Monte Kiffin is still on the Dallas coaching staff because of Rod Marinelli's wishes and accepting or rejecting the defensive coordinator job.

With that being said, if the Cowboys would've allowed Bill Callahan to go to Cleveland or Baltimore as the OC, I believe that Frank Pollack would have followed him. The Cowboys were more afraid of losing Pollack, and not so much Callahan.

It's pretty apparent that the running game (when committed to) and the offensive line progressed in 2013, and I believe it was mainly because of Pollack.

Thoughts?
    NJ22 likes this.
  2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,836 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Possible.

I still think it is a mistake to force an employee to stay that doesn't want to. I have seen situations like that in the workplace and it never ends up well.
  3. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,474 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    I can see that, I understand Kiffin staying because of Marinelli but didn't understand Callahan.
    TheSport78 likes this.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,638 Messages
    4,904 Likes Received
    Interesting theory, but I do not think Pollack has any sort of real deep allegiance to Callahan, at least like how Marinelli does to Kiffin. He was coached by Callahan, but I think that is it and it is not like he got his first real break thanks to him.

I just think Jones kept Callahan out of simple fear.
  5. TheSport78

8,445 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    That's possible as well, but maybe Callahan would've wanted to bring some of "his guys" to Cleveland or Baltimore. Callahan brought Pollack in last year after Bill received the promotion to OC in Dallas.
  6. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Its because Jerry intends on clearing out all the losers once 2014 inevitably circlea the drain.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    I think the offensive line improved because it had better players.
    texbumthelife likes this.
  8. pansophy

pansophy Member

94 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    More likely they didn't want to mess with OL which is just starting to play well. Look at what happened with they asked Free to change his footwork when Callihan took over. It took him an entire season to adjust.
  9. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Plus he could just block Pollack from leaving if this were the case.
    CowboyMike likes this.
  10. Alexander

24,638 Messages
    4,904 Likes Received
    Which I am sure he would if he could. Not sure if that would be possible if he were offered a position above his current title of "assistant OL coach".
  11. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,547 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    I actually don't think anyone on the line needs to be "upgraded", but I would agree that some quality starting depth needs to be drafted somewhere in rounds 2-4.
    brymatt94 likes this.
  12. CowboyManDan

CowboyManDan Well-Known Member

1,525 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Pollack seemingly made a difference in one year with the offensive line. I do want to keep him badly. Especially after you read/hear about the blocking scheme we use being tricky (from opposing defenses in a somewhat recent article). I wouldn't want to start over with a new offensive line block scheme.
  13. Alexander

24,638 Messages
    4,904 Likes Received
    Aside from Frederick, the same players were in place. While time working with the scheme certainly helped, Pollack brought first hand coaching tips from Alex Gibbs, who has been far more effective getting more with less with the scheme over the years than Callahan, who needed multiple high draft picks in New York before it gelled.
    dogunwo likes this.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,384 Messages
    4,945 Likes Received
    That makes no sense. If Jerry can block Callahan from leaving, he can block Pollack from leaving.

Also, why would Pollack want to leave? He would be getting promoted to OL coach from assistant OL coach. Who would want to move from Dallas to Cleveland for an equivalent job?

I'm not seeing where they overlapped with any other teams:

Frank Pollack:
    As player:
    As coach:
    Bill Callahan:
    Team(s) as a player
    1975–1978 Benedictine
    Team(s) as a coach/administrator
    1980–1986
    1987–1988
    1990–1994
    1995–1997
    1998–2001
    2002–2003
    2004–2007
    2008–2011
    2012–present Illinois (assistant) Northern Arizona (OL) Southern Illinois (OC) Wisconsin (OL) Philadelphia Eagles (OL) Oakland Raiders (OC)
    Oakland Raiders Nebraska New York Jets (AHC/OL) Dallas Cowboys (OC/OL)
    GloryDaysRBack likes this.
  15. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Frederick was a huge upgrade over Costa. Tyron had a year under his belt playing LT. Leary was ready to play in the league. Waters was better while he played.

I don't think coaching has anything to do with the improvement. Hudson Houck was a good OL coach. He had no talent to work with.
  16. TheSport78

8,445 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    It's possible that the Browns or Ravens would've given Pollack a "promotion," such as assistant head coach and so forth. You can give a coach a promotion via a new title, but in essence his responsibilities remain the same. They're loopholes around these things IMO...
    Solnoir likes this.
  17. TheSport78

8,445 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    It definitely improved via better talent, but that goes hand in hand with solid coaching.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,384 Messages
    4,945 Likes Received
    The NFL eliminated the loopholes in terms of promotions. The only move that a coach under contract can make without permission from his current team is to become a Head Coach.
    BigStar likes this.
  19. TheSport78

8,445 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    Interesting. I didn't know that.
  20. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,725 Messages
    1,821 Likes Received
    That rule no longer applies. Its only if you are being promoted to HC not OC or assistant HC. Just HC