1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why is Carpenter playing inside?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AbeBeta, Aug 10, 2006.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,619 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    Here's one for everyone.

Why did we draft Carpenter as an OLB if, as Bill stated, "he looks like an inside guy?"

Taking it back a year, same deal with Burnett.

I'm all for depth -- and I thought Carpenter was a good pick. But this is two years straight that we tried to fill OLB and ended up with ILB. It seemed that Bill had that in mind for Burnett coming in. But how did it happen again with Carpenter? Our need inside is not as great as the need outside. So what happened here?
  2. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Basically they are throwing a lot at him right now to see if he can pick it up - and he is. Plus you have Ellis starting at OLB right now but Greg is only going to be here another year or two at the most. So it's my expectation that he'll play both inside and outside this year and maybe take over the outside spot at year end.
  3. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's probably a year away from being a full time starter. And they like Ellis at OLB. I agree it's disappointing to see him not starting but maybe he just needs to improve his pass rush and coverage skills before he can unseat somebody like Ellis.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,262 Messages
    5,515 Likes Received
    Because we were not expecting Ellis to come around like he has and we didn't want Singleton starting.

Instead of being appreciative we are doing everything we can about getting the player on the field and contributing, I guess it is more appropriate to complain because you don't understand the rationale?
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I thought all along Bobby Carpenter was an inside guy, and I think he was widely slotted by other teams around the league.
  6. Alexander

25,262 Messages
    5,515 Likes Received
    The other 3-4 teams like Cleveland and New England all had him as an inside linebacker.
  7. AbeBeta

25,619 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    Complaining? Is that what asking a question is called now?

It isn't like i'm one of these idiots who came at this with the typical "see, I told you, we needed to draft Manny Lawson" BS.

The part that still strikes me as odd is that we aren't hearing much about Carpenter even playing OLB in practice -- he's behind Ellis and Singleton there.

Again, I like the pick - but I also think first round guys need to play full time.
  8. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,886 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    They had him at WILB.

I don't see the problem. We need good ILB just as badly as good OLB, and we need more than four. Just cuz a guy doesn't start doesn't mean he's not gonna contribute heavily and just cuz a guy plays inside doesn't mean he can't blitz and/or have a huge effect on the game. If Ellis plays well at OLB and Carp plays good snaps on the inside, I could care less what position the rookie plays or whether he starts. If we have guys playing good ball at their positions, that's all I care about.
  9. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    He was a good pass rusher at OSU, and that skill would be wasted if he was to be a vanilla 3-4 inside backer. I believe Parcells and Zimmer are going to move our back seven defenders around alot so that there often won't be the typical inside and outside positions.

Matchups are more important than positions, so personnel they face will determine more of where our defenders line up.
  10. Alexander

25,262 Messages
    5,515 Likes Received
    Is this truly an innocent question? Sorry, I didn't see it that way.

Isn't working at ILB as a backup to Ayodele better than being third team behind Ellis and Singleton?

On bad teams they do.

On teams with good depth, they don't always start from day one. Give it some time.
  11. Alexander

25,262 Messages
    5,515 Likes Received
    He picked up three sacks in our scrimmage.

Sounds like he is really being wasted.:rolleyes:
  12. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,338 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I see this as a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.

A lot of fans pray at the "BPA" alter.

Then if you actually go BPA it becomes another issue.

Maybe next year we go Lamarr Woodley or Dan Bazuin and the issue at SOLB is solved.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Of all the things to fret about, Carpenter is way low on my list. I expect him to be a mainstay of the LB'ing corps for the next ten years or so.

Many teams had him inside. I think he is versatile enough to succeed in either role. I expect him to be a pretty major contributor this year even if he doesn't "start".

I think Burnett is primarily playing outside now as well behind Ware.
  14. AbeBeta

25,619 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    Perhaps I missed the part where we had him slotted for the inside. Interviews with guys like Ware ("good, let someone else pick up the double teams") sure suggested that the team was looking to use Carpenter outside.

Also, here's an excerpt from an interview with Carpenter right after the draft - sounds like outside talk to me

15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Does the name Tedi Bruschi ring a bell with you?
  16. Alexander

25,262 Messages
    5,515 Likes Received
    And this was right in the middle of Ellis' whinefest and before he played the position.

Ellis is doing very well and that is why we shifted our train of thought.

We are really very fortunate Carpenter is smart enough to handle our changing of gears. That is very rare for a rookie and one of the reasons he was drafted in the first place.
  17. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    My point was our "inside" is not vanilla and that he'll be positioned to take advantage of what he does best, regardless of what his position is called.

And BTW scrimmages are BS, use real games for any examples.
  18. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,104 Messages
    1,343 Likes Received
    Someone has already said it, but it needs to be repeated. The answer is blatantly obvious: Ellis wasn't expected to come along and become the full-time starting LOLB. This is part of the reason I think they went with Carp over Lawson. Carp could easily be moved inside if Ellis did well at LB.
  19. AbeBeta

25,619 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    I have no problem with the BPA issue. As I've said 3 times in this thread, I like the pick.

I am curious how OLBs keep becoming ILBs though.
  20. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,338 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I doubt BP called Ware and told him he's going to play BC at SOLB. That was Ware's opinion.

Not uncommon for BP to move people around and give them time at different spots. Also not uncommon for BP to say one thing and do something different than what he initially said.

Perhaps this Ellis experiment is going better/faster than he expected?

BP likes height at those OLB positions in the 3-4.

The OT's/TE's those guys go against are 6-4 to 6-7.

6-2/250 + is prototype 3-4 ILB size.