1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why is everybody up in arms?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysFaninDC, Nov 25, 2012.

1. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,219 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    True.
  2. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received

BTW, although this is true, the legit playoff contenders get elite level production from one position group to make up for the their deficiencies elsewhere (eg, the Bears have a bad OL, but an elite defence; the 49ers have weak QB's, but are elite everywhere else)

The Cowboys aren't elite anywhere.
  3. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,889 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    The Texans have faced a few injuries on the defensive side of the ball and have looked less than stellar in their last two wins.

Wade had Alan Ball manned up on Calvin Johnson and that failed when CJ hit 100+ yds and a TD in the first half.

Alan Ball gave up 143 yds alone.

So let's be honest here, there isn't alot of quality depth on teams is there when Alan Ball is your starting corner on the #1 WR for the other team?
  4. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Interesting to use those two guys as examples since they were the scapegoats here for the defensive atrocity that was the 2010 season.

As we saw, the problems went a lot deeper than those two guys, just like our current problems go much deeper than a couple of linemen.

We're deluding ourselves if we think this is a quick fix; it's not.
  5. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,889 Messages
    135 Likes Received

I don't believe in the quick fix either, but continuing to fill voids via FA and drafting BPA is a good start.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,056 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  7. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,191 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    This team had a lot of holes going into the season, including the entire offensive line, and none of them were properly addressed. We went corner when we needed both lines. We have ignored the safety position since we drafted Roy Williams. This offseason was an epic failure, mainly because we didn't address any of our huge needs.
  8. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,292 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    In a way, I think the offseason might have gone better if we chose to address fewer of our needs with better options. One quality offensive lineman rather than two questionable ones, and so on .....
  9. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,320 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    Depth? we were looking for starters and came up short, which has set the team back again. We are in the same boat we were last season if not worse! we still dont know if Costa is going to step it up and Free has regressed yet again.

Add in all of the other holes this team has we are screwed
  10. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,767 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I don't disagree. it takes a team to win and the team needs to have certain partsand we are missing some. going 7 or 8 wins ain't going t be pretty. that's the product. win ugly. lose ugly
  11. CowboysFaninDC

2,767 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    agreed. fix the DL and OL and this is a totally different team. most of the offensive problems is that with this OL we can't run. when we can't run and on top of that can;t pass block, then we become one dimentional in our passing game. easier to defend. and tougher for us to get points.
  12. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,292 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    If we were playing a lot of nip-and-tuck games, the teeth-gnashing wouldn't be as bad. Instead, we're getting blown out in the first half. We've barely led games this year. That's what's frustrating.
  13. CowboysFaninDC

2,767 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    6 or 7 new OL men? why? smith is there. last I counted there is 5 on the OL. you need decent back ups....which team is 6 or 7 deep on the OL? more than any other unit, the OL plays as a unit and fails as a unit. one or two bad links and it all fails and they all look bad. insert a RT, another guard or two and this is a totally different OL. just insert another guard and RT and this OL is improved by 200%.

IMO the DL is a bigger issue and tougher to address
  14. CowboysFaninDC

2,767 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I understand the frustration. so am I. but that's where you over rate our talent over theirs. I take a couple of their OL over what we have. they have a prettygood LT that we could use. rookie RB? so what. Murray was a rookie last year and he did great until his injury. that means nothing for a RB. and Griffin is pretty special. different age of QBs.

and lets not forget this is a long rivalry. you throw everything out the window. when we had carter, hambrick and AB, we beat the redskins 5 times in a row, with campo as coach!!! explain that one.
  15. CowboysFaninDC

2,767 Messages
    105 Likes Received

there we go. the root of the problem. the reason I posted this was that firing garrett and making a move like that, is just jerry reacting to the fan base, making a counter move to keep the fan base interested and hopeful.

this has been the trend over the past 15 years. one move after another, without any relation to each other, just as a reaction to keep the fans coming and spending.

instead, we should go with status quo. identify that we have talent deficit in certain areas. make a plan to address and then have sucess for years instead of a one year hope, that gets dashed. we have issues on the OL and DL. its not pretty picks. or pretty money spent, but it pays off.

problem is that Jerry will justify his moves by not signing an expensive OL man and point to leonord davis as an example of money spent and failed. yet not point to roy williams, barber, etc. for his other failed signings.

there has not been a true plan to build a team. until we do that and stick to it. we are not going to see success. even the great bilicheck would only make this team better by at most two games and even then not championship material
  16. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is complete nonsense. Please stop putting it out there without detailing the deal. What team would trade for him and what we would receive.

I know it's hard to see "it", to believe "it" is even possible. But if we are going to win anything significant anytime soon, it's going to be with Romo and Garrett as HC.

This team's best move, it's best percentage play is to give this group one more shot.

There's plenty of time to blow it up and start over going forward. But no franchise does that with a 30something elite QB.
  17. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,387 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    They will meet expectations which was a non-playoff year
  18. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,924 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Okay. My first move would be to hire an experienced, previously successful head coach.
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,157 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    i was waiting for this post ever since the post about "what were everyone's expectations coming into the season" a couple of days back

thank you for not disappointing
  20. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Which isn't going to happen. We're not going to win anything significant with this group. It's over, the best thing we can do is try to move some expiring assets and build towards 2014 and beyond.

Romo's an attractive trade chip, his contract isn't prohibitive and the market for QB's is always there. Palmer fetched 2 high picks, Kolb fetched 2 high picks and a player, it's reasonable to assume that we could parlay Romo into a decent mix of picks and players to kickstart a rebuild and make up for some of this godawful drafting.

Giving this team one more shot is a recipe for complete and total disaster.