1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why is everyone so down on Jason Garrett?

Discussion in 'Rant Zone' started by dcowboysfan76, Jan 12, 2014.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,722 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    8 years, is not a lot of coaching experience. Especially if you've only had one year of coaching at a level where you were expected to ask more questions than give answers. Garrett has had very little opportunity to be in a position where everyone wasn't looking to him for the answers and be able to ask stupid questions like most people do when they are making their bones in any profession.

I'm not even saying he can't improve, but if anyone thought that this guy was gonna walk into the league and be some kind of coaching savant that didn't need any experience prior, they were kidding themselves.
  2. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    haha is that the valid excuse for his early sucking?

JG had about a decade less and managed to accumulate more wins in his first 3 years.

[IMG]
  3. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,024 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Because he's great at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
    pjtoadie and dcowboysfan76 like this.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,722 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    I agree, that's an interesting take on the statement I made. You think the point of that post was to make excuses for Bellichick?
  5. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    yes, exactly
  6. dcowboysfan76

dcowboysfan76 Well-Known Member

1,025 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    I agree with you on the play calling and the blunders on time management, but do you really think that Garrett hired the DC?? Last I checked, defense wins ball games.
  7. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

899 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    i also say the eagles and titans and oilers have always sucked....but of course, we can go find one instance who knows when where they might not have...doesnt mean they didnt, however.
  8. Screw The Hall

Screw The Hall Well-Known Member

2,057 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Watch the Green Bay game. Rinse and repeat. Once your through vomiting I'm pretty sure your question should be answered. But just in case it isn't here is my rundown.

He revisits the same 3 errors over and over again.

1. He has no feel for playcalling. This was supposed to be his strength right? It manifests itself more often than not by completely abandoning the run. But it's more about not having an innate sense of when to do what.

2. Periodically he stops going to his playmakers because the defense designs a defense to take them away. You should never lose a ballgame with Dez only being targeted 3 times. Sometimes you have to go to your playmakers even when they're covered. If you lose that way at least you've fired all your bullets. Whatever you do don't leave any in the chamber.

3. Game management. This is more of an extension of number 1. He really just seems to have a lack of instincts that the great one's possess. The later in the game it gets the more his lack of this intangible becomes visible. Whether it's when to go for it, a run/pass decision, or when to call a timeout it appears way to often that he's just guessing out there. The bigger issue is I think the entire team mimics the head coach's lack of intuitive awareness on how to get it done late in games.
  9. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,595 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    But on the other hand he does put on a great show. The Cowboys find new ways to lose games every year. And they find themselves the lead story on shows like First Take so Jerry has to be pleased.
  10. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,177 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    I respect your posts but this? Really?
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    pjtoadie likes this.
  11. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,834 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    Hey, at least he won a playoff game in his first 3 years with Vinny Testeverde at QB. Still better than Garrett.
  12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    This is a clown mentality

Landry was considered an innovator and a defensive genius. There were less teams and come yell different rules when it came to team structure, NFL rules, etc. Same for most of these coaches. We are in a league of parity where many teams playing today were teams that turned it around quickly. Let's me realistic. We've made no progress using a guy that Jerry admitted has been in training for 3 years. We shouldn't be a training ground so an owner can be shown to be right. We should be looking for someone who has been there.
    pjtoadie likes this.
  13. dcowboysfan76

1,025 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    lol; I watched Tombstone today, and this seems like something Doc Holiday would say....
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,722 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    You should read it again.
  15. wileedog

9,834 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    If he didn't than he is part of the problem. Head coaches should be hiring their own DCs, and a real HC who couldn't would quit.

Furthermore, Garrett worked with Kiffen when he was at Miami and all reports said he was fully on board with the switch. Sorry, this crap is on his head too.
  16. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Meh... I cant watch TV and post...

Are you trying to tell me that Vinny Testeverde isnt one of the great QBs to play the game?

absolutely not. What if I find out Im wrong?
  17. dcowboysfan76

1,025 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    We shouldn't have a coach in training and thank you for inadvertently bringing to light what my point is. It's not Garrett's fault that he's the H.C.
  18. wileedog

9,834 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    You mean the guy who many people at one time wondered if he was color blind because he threw so many interceptions?

Yes, I am telling you exactly that. Most of his stats are racked up because of his longevity, not his effectiveness.
  19. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    sarcasm.... not even once
  20. wileedog

9,834 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    Ha, DAMN YOU INTERNET!!!!
    TTexasTT likes this.