1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is it so hard to understand money comes first?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Mar 18, 2014.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

11,526 Messages
    3,366 Likes Received
    These players care any one thing, most of the time.. And it's all about dollars

These guys are professionals in a game where at best they can maxamize their career earnings over 5-10 years... Most of these athletes become broke after their careers and know nothing else

When a guy leaves for more money, there is no need to be upset.. They are protecting themselves and their families...

Thinking a guy who is established, is going to settle for an incentive Laden deal or a prove it deal is foolish...

These guys are going to follow the money... And rightly so.. Its not hard to understand

DFWJC, Nation, vlad and 6 others like this.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

87,261 Messages
    10,017 Likes Received
    I agree. It is business not personal. I don't begrudge any player his money. This is life in FA the days were a team would play almost their entire career with each other are long gone.

3. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,822 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    They have a very, very short window to make that money and I understand that this is a business. I think most people understand that and don't have an issue with it.

Just like the teams have no problem flushing a guy when his production goes down or can't play due to injury. Its a business first at this level. No doubt.

4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

6,758 Messages
    4,221 Likes Received
    OK? Who is upset about a guy leaving?

Nation, links18, Carharris2 and 2 others like this.
  5. movaughn88

movaughn88 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

431 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    Well said. It's easy to berate a player but let's just put it in a personal context.

Anyone on this board given the choice: "Ok for 2 million a year you can go sit in a corner office with your best friend and do great work...or you can go sit in the basement with this actual unwashed monkey and listen to him screech for 4 million a year..."

I think we'd all be staring at that monkey in six months wondering how we got there.

JPostSam likes this.
  6. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

30,582 Messages
    7,718 Likes Received
    Yep. Fans may not like it, but it is what it is.

7. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

4,695 Messages
    950 Likes Received
    Every time I see someone say player X will sign with a former superbowl team or won't sign to a team with an abysmal record I laugh only one thing they care about is money not winning. Don't get me wrong once they are there they rather win, but it is a money issue before

8. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Staff Member

32,403 Messages
    6,417 Likes Received
    Exactly. I usually inquire about generalizations with a one-word post of "...list?", but no one ever provides names.

links18 and Carharris2 like this.
  9. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Well-Known Member

2,379 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    just like the owners and the players its all about the money first everything else is secondary

10. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

6,829 Messages
    2,987 Likes Received
  11. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

8,266 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    thats all well and good, but i dont want to hear the players complaining when it happens against them. Sorry, you want to make it a business, all well and good and if i can get a comparable player at a cheaper rate, out the door you go. Ill personally be the person holding the door for you, reminding you, "this is what you wanted".

12. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

17,343 Messages
    2,746 Likes Received
    Let no mans begrudge a player wanting more money. And let me say also and in addition to this is let no mans begrudge a fan's anguish over players who mull offers of millions.

Yes, the window of athleticism, yada-yada-yada. Half this limited window of time ever occurred to to athletes before? I mean, the chances of playing in the NFL, NBA, MLB be 1 in a 1,000. So it make me wonder, what's going on, oh, what's going on with the athletes. Are they delusional to belief that the slim chance of turning pro is worth it? Even if they make it, a 5-year-window, seem very short. If they be minimum-level players, that can be real bad. Bad like a Spike lee movie starring Lady Gaga.

In summation, the athletes seem very narrow-minded and shortsighted. Yeah, I want me a million dollahs. If I don't turn pro then I will work as . . . what? Sadly, many athletes do not half a plan other than to be rich and famous. And that is to bad.

13. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Like the first time I found out you could get a donut with jelly INSIDE.

14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

26,933 Messages
    3,504 Likes Received
    I didn't realise anyone was upset or angry about anyone leaving over money.

links18 likes this.
  15. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    It sounds simple when you say it but it does get blurry for fans because we'll spend too much of the owners money to keep a guy we like hopin he has another good year and consider it a bargain when a rookie has a pro bowl year while he's still on his rookie contract.

16. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

11,526 Messages
    3,366 Likes Received
    You also didn't realize that there are 100s of posts where people mention incentive laden deals. . Or a one year prove it contact..

17. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

13,990 Messages
    3,005 Likes Received
    What?!

OhSnap likes this.
  18. Mookie

Mookie Well-Known Member

375 Messages
    289 Likes Received
  19. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

17,343 Messages
    2,746 Likes Received
    A sock monkey yes. A real monkey no.

20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

26,933 Messages
    3,504 Likes Received

Nope. Probably not. Mostly because I'm not sure how that proves anyone is upset or angry over anything. But to each their own.

links18 likes this.