1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why is no one talking red zone?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by FiveRings, Nov 26, 2012.

1. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    The only thing this board seems to care about is our turnover challenged defense, firing Garrett and ending Romos career. Newsflash, we're 26th in the NFL in red zone TD percentage. If we're even within the top 20 I say we're sitting pretty at about 7-4.

There are teams in the NFL that would KILL to have Witten and Dez as red zone targets, so why aren't we using them up to their potential??
  2. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,077 Messages
    671 Likes Received
  3. intelmax

intelmax New Member

89 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Witten is the most nonathletic athlete of all time, i love him but i have no clue how he gets open. And Dez is getting double teams in the end zone so that kinda kills that. If we had jimmy graham we could just throw it up and he could go get it, could we use Hanna this way??

Also Running games is non existent, i would not trust felix jones to score a td from the 3 yard line with 4 tries if my life depended on it.
  4. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,879 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Reasons:
    1. Witten isn't really a weapon in the Red Zone. See previous threads on why his game isn't conducive to Red Zone situations.
    2. Dez isn't a get open quick guy and doesn't get a ton of great separation in general. Ideally Tony would throw fades or back shoulders to him, but Tony is poor at fade routes. Dez hasn't caught the ball in traffic great this year either.
    3. In the Red Zone, it is important to run the ball, which we are horrible at.

I would like to see some different play designs in the Red Zone where we throw to RCVRS or Backs at the 5-10 yard line and they are able to run it in.
  5. FiveRings

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I disagree, every TE is a red zone threat IMO, sure Witten isn't gonna go up and get a ball over a DB but on a PA bootleg with Witten running to the flat you mean he's not gonna box out a backer or DB and make the catch?
  6. goshan

1,879 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    No, not his game. He is good at Ins and Outs and getting open in space. He needs to turn and square up clean to make the catch. Also runs the seam pretty well. Doesn't really do well in traffic or shielding/boxing defenders like other TEs do.
  7. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

1,495 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Aren't we usually getting hit with false starts & the like once we even get near the redzone, to make it even more difficult to pick up 1st downs, let alone an Endzone score. :bang2:
  8. intelmax

intelmax New Member

89 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I dont know man im willing to bet good money that im faster than witten hes just not an athlete. but bootleg is not effective when the other team knows we cant run.
  9. FiveRings

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    He runs a 4.65, comparable to Gronks 4.68, maybe he lost a step since he was drafted but the only reason his "game" isn't what I described before is because we don't do it
  10. goshan

1,879 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    It has never been his game. Just because you describe it that way and want it to be his game doesn't mean it is. You admit he isn't a guy to go up and get a ball over a DB. That is the same type of player that is good at blocking DBs in traffic, shielding them off and making the catch. It just isn't Witten's strength and he has never done it.
  11. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,861 Messages
    1,230 Likes Received
    The coach calls horrible plays
    terrible oline
    one of Romo's top targets is forced to be a lineman because of said oline
    constant penalties that take us back out of the redzone
  12. FiveRings

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    He's 6'5" 260 with maybe the best hands in the NFL, yeah he doesn't have the hops to clear a DB on a fade but that is an athletic play that he can't make, if you think a dude his size can't catch a pass in his gut with a 185 pound corner on his back and roll into the end zone you're nuts
  13. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,599 Messages
    17 Likes Received

I think it's hard to convince some people that you can't fit a square peg into a round hole.

Craig
  14. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, the bashers of JG on this forum have been arguing this as his BIGGEST flaw... The 'passing yardage', which was used to demonstrate how much of a 'genius' he was, is nothing but a smokescreen for his inept play-calling.
  15. FiveRings

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I have yet to see anybody really pick at our red zone offense, admittedly the biggest problem are the penalties that kill us within the 20 because really our offense doesn't 't look as brutal as we make it out to be outside the red zone. Hence Romo's big yardage numbers this year as indicated in another post this morning
  16. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,396 Messages
    4,621 Likes Received
    I disagree about Dez. He was used as a decoy TWICE in the redzone last week, one time after he had a big play to get them down there. This stupid team doesn't know how to use him.
  17. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I personally have, for a few years now and pretty much have been saying the passing yardage numbers are nothing but deception. Chocolate Lab has for years as well.

And I don't think it's necessarily penalties, it's just the fact that JGs whole bread and butter is long developing pass plays and the short passing game is non-existent. No motion to shift defenders, no passing attemps straight up the seams. The inability on his part to make it harder for defenses to defend is a galring flaw of his when the field is short. No rolling out Romo. The DBs easily keep everything in front of them...

Also, the run blocking is horrible, but the defense knows when it is run. Ironically, Dallas called a QB sneak for once in the red-zone on a 4th down in desperation, I forget which game, and Romo walked in the end-zone.

You would think in all the years JG has coached, the QB sneak with Romo's legs on the goal-line would be utilized, but nope...
  18. FiveRings

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I disagree with your take on Garrett's passing game, this year it's like I'm watching the Dallas Checkdowns, which isn't bad, but with your check downs you have to take deep shots or else you're one dimensional. Like the Brees', Bradys and Rodgers' live by: check down or touchdown, by doing so we'll eliminate having to drive into the red zone and settle for 3 every time and we'd get to watch Romo spread the ball across the field
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,239 Messages
    1,360 Likes Received
    Dude, you are right on the mark. It seems like as soon as we even touch the red zone, some idiot has to false start. Followed by a hold, it's stupid.

I say, if Garrett doesn't want to run the hurry up until we're down by 21 points, or we're in the 2 minute warning, run in the red zone to prevent guys from being in their stances too long. And yeah, stop making penalties there.
  20. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

564 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    We have NO redzone run game therefore we have NO redzone pass game.
    If we're no threat to run, you can cross out all the receivers to pass. Opposing D just drops more into coverage within the goaline. Smaller area, more batted down passes, and we are over all pretty predictable in the redzone anyway.