1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why is there media bias?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by HoleInTheRoof, Jun 10, 2009.

1. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just a simple question... I always hear about how the media is biased, and I believe that it is.

My question is, why is it that way? And how long has it been that way?
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,938 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    The media used to report the story... now they like being the story...

I've seen many journalists comment that they went to journalism school so they could make a difference. They are not supposed to make a difference, they are supposed to report the news in an unbiased fashion...

Of course this doesn't include columnists...
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,404 Messages
    3,733 Likes Received
    It has been this way for a while. I do know that polls that have been done in the media field has shown most members of the media vote democrat than republican and the number continues to grow which is not too shocking when many university professors tend to be more liberal in nature.

I think the biggest problem is reporters more interested in becoming celebrities than true journalist who cover events from both sides of an issue not siding with either position only informing the viewer or reader and allowing them to make up their mind on how to feel about the issue.
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The vast majority of professional scribes are registered Democrats. When you share the same values, goals, and concerns of the people you're assigned to cover (i.e. Dems), the first thing that goes out the window is objectivity. It's true that Watergate gave rise to the phenomenon of "advocacy journalism," but the mainstream press was a reliable liberal bellwether long before that. Of course, cultural differences/biases can explain the voting patterns of all sorts of niche constituencies, such as performance artists leaning Left and gun owners and regular church goers leaning Right.
  5. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This may be oversimplified, but I think in general conservatives are more interested in making money and improving their lives and their families lives by being successful (so they go into business, become doctors, etc), while liberals are more willing to go into less financially-rewarding careers (like teaching, journalism, art) in order to "make a difference" in the world.

I know personally, I loved journalism and studied it up until the point where I realized I didn't want to pursue a profession that paid so lousily and had such poor job security.
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,311 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    It's about getting what you want. The powers that be, use the power they have at their media outlet to influence others using that outlet as a tool in hearding the general public the direction that they want.

The media is an extremely powerful tool, because they can spread their views directly to the general population while stiffling opposing views.. Those who control the media have the power to sway the public. That power gives the powers that be the ability to leverage things they want from the government.

Look at the Obama administration. Ever wonder why five of the RIAA lawyers have been assigned to the Obama administration? Obama assigned Ian Gershengorn to the deputy assistant attorney of the Civil Division. Obama did this more than a week after nearly two-dozen public interest groups, trade pacts and library coalitions urged the new president to quit filling his administration with lawyers plucked from the Recording Industry Association of America. (I cut and pasted part of that)

Gershengorn is the fifth RIAA lawyer to get some seat within the Obama administration. Odd how they are a bunch of lawyers from the same group eh? Also add how they are all media giants goons to boot! Wonder how that happen?

The other four:

• Donald Verrilli, associate deputy attorney general — the No. 3 in the DOJ, who unsuccessfully urged a federal judge to uphold the $222,000 file sharing verdict against Jammie Thomas.
    • Tom Perrilli, as Verrilli’s former boss, the Justice Department’s No. 2 argued in 2002 that internet service providers should release customer information to the RIAA even without a court subpoena.
    • Brian Hauck, counsel to associate attorney general, worked on the Grokster case on behalf of the record labels.
    • Ginger Anders, assistant to the solicitor general, litigated on the Cablevision case.

Every single one of them were assigned to the Justice Department. :rolleyes:
  7. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

Money and ratings. If it bleeds it leads.
  8. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    You must be my clone. That's exactly why I left Journalism for Business School and lost about 2 years in the process.

Journalism is like education and other "advocacy" professions. Its nature attracts a certain kind of person. This is the correct answer, though I'm sure this thread will see all kinds of crazy unhinged responses about why (oh look, here's one now)

Money? In Journalism? Are you joking?
  9. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

Wow, i am so ashamed to have read this. Liberals are the lambs that make the sacrifice for my country. How touching and dreadfully wrong. Wow, the brain washing knows no bounds.

Glad to see passion isnt why you wake up in the morning. I guess i can say your honest, but the whole liberal thing, wow.
  10. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    That's not at all what he said. He said they are more the "go out and save the world" type. You can easily read that as saying that they are naive and misguided.

There's passion, and then there's having decent financial security and not having to hop jobs every 3 years and uproot your family. Passion doesn't pay the bills, i'm afraid.
  11. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

It was a lame general statement and you know it, no reason to try and defend it.
  12. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You're reading a lot into this.

I'm saying that liberals are more willing to make financial sacrifices for perceived social benefits.

Conservatives, on the other hand, realize that by being successful, they are better situated to have an influence on the issues that matter most to them (be it family, or politics, or country). But that does lead them away from certain low-paying professions that do have a lot of influence such as teaching and journalism.

As for my own personal passion, I found a way to take my writing and persuasive skills and actually make a good living out of it doing something that I love. I own my own business, which has created jobs for over 40 people, and I raise millions of dollars for the causes in which I believe most strongly.

That's what gets me up in the morning.

I guarantee you I'm far more satisfied than if I was some beat reporter for a dying newspaper in Philadelphia.
  13. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,120 Messages
    6,907 Likes Received
    DIAF and Danny both make good points and their reasons for pursuing alternate careers are the same reasons I'm in IT.

If you're fortunate, you might be able to get a career that can provide both. Most times practicality beats out passion.
  14. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    How on earth you got that out of DW's post is BEYOND me.

The context with which you take things sometimes is unnerving. :p:
  15. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

You are so not in IT. I dunt BELIEVE you missie. :p:

Seriously I dont mean to go OT but......can I ask what you do? I didn't know you were in that field.

NOBODY tells me anything!!!
  16. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

He wrote this:

He wrote it, not me. Im saying thats a broad stroke generalism that is unfair. Hate on me all you want, but im not wrong, HE wrote it.

Now how did i take that wrong.
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,120 Messages
    6,907 Likes Received
    I'm a Tech Writer. I write all those lovely documents and guides that nobody reads.

Yeah so it's on the low end of IT, but I'm still in it. :p:
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,404 Messages
    3,733 Likes Received
    I agree it is a bit of a generalization when I know many well off lawyers you are hardcore democrats. I do however think for the most part Danny White is right that certain fields tend to attract liberals and the same could be said for conservatives it is not 100% but I think you will find majorities of one party or the other depending on the occupation
  19. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Did you notice that I put "make a difference" in quotes?

I'm citing their reasons for their career choices (in addition to referencing Trick's earlier post). And if you interview most liberal journalists or professors, I'm sure they would state that as one of their major motivating factors. And, in reality, they are "making a difference" in shaping public opinion and the minds of young people, respectively. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the difference they are making is a negative one.

Nowhere do I state that they are the only ones "making a difference" -- I think that those who are successful financially in life are ultimately much more able to make a difference both by achieving their success and by using the fruits of their labor towards the causes they care most about. But I'd also guess that they're less likely to use "making a difference" as one of the major motivators for their career choice as the liberals often do.
  20. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

I believe it wasnt necessarily being the sacrifice he thinks it is vs what those two professions, because he points out two specific positions, that while pay less, have other avenues of interests for agenda type groups.