1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why isn't THIS Cowboy in the HOF?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Silverstar, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,968 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Looking at his accomplishments it's just a travesty!

http://www.dallascowboys.com/history_roh_player.cfm?art=3

Even Landry said, he was the best LB he ever coached. It just makes no sense...he should have gone in years ago. The more you think about it, the more you shake your head in disbelief.

:star:
  2. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

2,026 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Yep, I agree completely.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,600 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    You have to be like 80 years old to care about this post.
  4. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You have to be like 37 years old devoid of any knowledge or appreciation for any Cowboys that played before 1992 to not care about this post.
  5. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Howley not going into the HOF goes against the belief that some of the Cowboys have not made the HOF because they were not placed in the ring of honor first.

And Abersonc, I really don't like to criticize other people for their posts.....
    So I will not comment any further on this...... :D
  6. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,079 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    Don't you have a coloring boook you can play with?

:rolleyes:
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,821 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    Just lump him in there with Kartr and those types.
  8. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nah, very good player for the Cowboys, but I dont think he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I tell you what though, there is an undersized, fiesty linebacker that he played next too that most certainly should get a HOF look.

Killer

- Mike G.
  9. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One constant theme I notice when reading memoirs from the legends is that many of them feel our linebackers back in the day never got their proper due. Chuck Howley, Lee Roy Jordan, Hollywood Henderson, Bob Breunig, the list goes on.... I don't know where Jerry Jones got his concept on linebackers, but we've had some good ones in Big D. I guess he'll be forced to pay the money now that we're going 3-4.
  10. KoRn_BoYz_5

KoRn_BoYz_5 New Member

165 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol he was a gymnastics in collage, very odd combo
  11. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,451 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    that is an ageist post
  12. dallasblue05

dallasblue05 New Member

1,286 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wrong, I'm 20 and care a hell of a lot about this post. I take any opportunity I can to learn more about the Cowboys history. Thanks for this thread, unfortunately, I obviously have never heard of/seen him playing, but his "resume" looks prett darn good!! Is it HOF good? That could be left to interpretation, however, the stats only speak for one dimension of a players game, the way he played speaks the other 2!! (that was profound, lol.........I just made a quote, lol)

neway, abersonc-you should have more respect for "your team," if it wasnt for guys like this laying the groundwork for greatness and getting those first 2 championships, Americas Team would not be as storied as it is today.
  13. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The first Big Money contract given to a LB in Dallas was given to Dexter Coakley and the second was given to Dat Nguyen both by Jones. I'm not sure what you are getting at about Jerry here.
  14. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't know how long you've been following the Cowboys but I thought this was common knowledge. Dexter is the only big money linebacker we've had. Dat's contract was pretty cheap. Long-term deal with only a million or so a year and little salary cap damage. And Dexters contract still isn't much compared to some of the higher paid linebackers in the league. This is with ten plus years of control. Jerry doesn't pay linebackers nor draft them high. Until DeMarcus Ware, who you could argue is really a defensive end, Jerry never put much effort into his linebackers. .
  15. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've been a fan since 1960 (claimed the 'Boys as my team at 7 years of age) and a Serious fan since 1969. My point was that the Cowboys have NEVER payed big money to LB's. It's just a continuation of our history so it is hard to single Jerry out for it; he has treated LB's better than Tex Schram ever did.
  16. MinnesotaCowboy

MinnesotaCowboy Member

629 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Ladies and gentlemen, if you didn't see Howley play then don't attempt to criticize him! He was the most athletic, dynamic LB in the Cowboy's history. Very intelligent, very quick and terrific against both the run and pass. Along with Leroy Jordan he was the bright defensive star (along with Lily, of course) on the early Cowboy teams. He probably will never get into the HOF or ROH since very few of you young whippersnappers have ever even heard about him much less seen him play. He was easily as good as the Steelers Jack Ham.......who is naturally in the HOF :rolleyes:
  17. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well that's not fair because we didn't pay ANYONE their money's worth until free agency. ;) I love hearing the stories from players about what cheap SOBs Tex and Gil were.
  18. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually Lee Roy Jordan got payed very well when he decided to actually stand up to Tex and management and demad a pay raise.

He purposely waited until Training Camp was over in 1974, held out and asked for a raise.

Schramm caved and gave Jordan his $100,000 but Jordan also lost because Schramm kept him out of the Ring of Honor forever.

- Mike G.
  19. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Was it Walt Garrison who had the story about the Cowboys throwing in some nice alligator skin shoes to get him to sign his first contract, and then he found that they had billed him for them when he received his first paycheck? :D
  20. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,444 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Plenty of Cowboys fans love LeeRoy Jordan, and rightfully so, but Howley was so far superior to him in every way it's not a fair comparison.

Howley always came up big in the big games, including the Baltimore Super Bowl in which he remains to this day the only MVP of the super bowl ever named from the losing team...and he was the first ever defensive player MVP.

I've said many times Howley is the most deserving non HOF player the Cowboys ever had, even ahead of Hayes and Wright, though they both deserve it as well.

Guys like Cliff Harris and Drew Pearson are guys I don't really agree with as much. My only reason for thinking Pearson deserves it is because of the Steeler WRs who got in, also undeservedly, imo.