1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why It May Be A Good Year For The Cowboys To Draft A Guard

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheCount, Jan 21, 2013.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,720 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    AKA: Why you can probably chill with the "Copper and Warmack will be gone by 18!" talk.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...may-be-a-good-year-for-the-cowboys-to-draft-a

There a VERY good chance that IF we want a guard at 18, we'll have our pick. If not of the #1 guard, then #2 and #3 almost assuredly.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I like cooper the best if were going to keep running the zone.
    Holmes, Jones, and Benavides are my top centers for zone blocking.

Warmack and warford are straight line power guys like what Dallas used to run and I wish we would get back to.
  3. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,988 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    The Chargers, Titans, and Rams all desperately need O-Line help. Joeckle will be gone in the top 5. I think the Chargers take OT Eric Fisher at 11 cause they need a LT badly, but the Titans need an OG just as badly, so they could go Warmack at 10. That'd be extremely high for a G, but the interior of their O-Line is horrible so I could see the reach.

Either way, I think the Rams take the best G available at 16. If Warmack is there, I think they take him. If he's gone, I think they take Jonathon Cooper. If this were the case, there would be no other G worth the #18 pick. In that case I hope we either trade back, or take OT Lane Johnson out of OU. We need a RT to replace Free and he'd be the best available. Then you can go G or S in the 2nd. Johnson might not even be available there either though. It'll be interesting to see how the first 17 picks unfold this year.
  4. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    All that analysis to basically point out that premium positions (QB, LT, pass rusher, CB) are drafted high. Some real rocket science there, the earlier you draft the more you need to concentrate on those positions unless a player at another position gets a really high grade and deserves the pick.

The league is really a bunch of copycats sometimes, so if the 9ers win you could see that guard go earlier than usual. Thing is, if you have a need at a premium position, you better address it early or the likelyhood of you getting it later in the draft is alot lower than other positions. Our need for young pass rushers will really weight heavy on this franchise come draft time.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,720 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    Right. People are going to copy the 49ers by drafting a guard in the Top 10 because they took one at 17 3 years ago.

All those teams probably needed a guard last year too, and they all passed on DeCastro - who was allegedly the best guard prospect in a decade.

I don't think Dallas is the only team in the NFL that doesn't want to spend a 1st rounder on the interior line. Especially in a year that is supposed to be rather deep at the position.

I do agree that the tackles will go. Teams have far less reservation about drafting tackles early.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    you look at the record of interior guys taken in the first round and there is hardly a bust at all in the last 10 years. No other position can say that.

Those that keep claiming that its dumb to take a guard in the first ignore THAT

and the FACT that we have sucked taking guard EVERYWHERE ELSE since we picked LA
  7. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,885 Messages
    3,030 Likes Received
    While I've said for awhile we need to look for competition along the interior we may need an OT more. I don't understand why that doesn't get some more traction.

I'm a little anxious about keeping Free and as much about releasing him as well. Smith didn't tear it up at LT. Parnell is still an unknown although I admit I'm a tad more comfortable with him at least as a swing tackle. I don't know where the depth at that position is.
  8. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    We have a realistic shot at drafting Cooper but Warmack won't make it to 18.
  9. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

940 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Lane Johnson OU LTackle needs to be in the mix no matter what, not sure he is a consolation prize, he is without doubt the most athletic player at the tackle position and will be much sought after once the scouts see the nasty side of his game. You probably know he is a former tight end who got better playing tackle throughout the season so if you watched him early in the year you will be surprised. I think we could benefit from this slow change and end up with a great talent. Much easier to digest a left tackle at 18 than a guard or center with a first round pick. I would think this pick would move Tyron Smith to RT and provide us superior protection from both sides and incentive to fill the middle with above average talent in the later rounds.
  10. DesiredTraits

DesiredTraits New Member

6 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Has anybody given it any thought about dropping down and grabbing DJ Fluker, would have the versatility to play right tackle but more importantly could slide inside and become a dominant guard. :rolleyes:
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,612 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    I agree.

And yes, I agree with the OP, there will be guards available when we pick--if we want one.

If there isn't a top tackle available, however, I'm betting we go DL at 18 or trade down and take a S.
  12. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,022 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    I think you might find if your bothered to read it properly, the piece is largely about what position would have the highest rated prospect when we pick at 18 and guard or safety was the conclusion.

Both coincidently big needs for Dallas.
  13. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,011 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Agreed. We need very badly an OT, interior OL and a playmaking safety, all of whom will likely be available at 18. It's going to be a very tough choice (depending on what we do or don't do in FA).
  14. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,638 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  15. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    There is an expectation from some OU people that he will have very low 40 time, certainly below 5 seconds and perhaps in the 4.8's. He was a high 4.6 guy when he was a defensive end. If he runs one of those times, then he is going to get overdrafted for his current production because he will be viewed as a developing talent.

I don't think he is great player now. He is certainly not as good as Trent Williams or Jamaal Brown, but he can really pass block. Werner and Jenkins from FSU gave him trouble last year, but he did just fine with the Texas guys, the incredible freshman from TCU and Damontre Moore.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,720 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    I also posted about that a while ago, I think the team would feel better about drafting a RT over an OG or C. Not that I agree with that line of thinking.

Why the eye roll? A wee bit dramatic, aren't we? :laugh2:

Fluker scares me. He weighed in like 25 lbs more than he was listed at Alabama. That's never a good thing. Plus there are times when he's got the balance of a drunk Moose, I think you'd have to be absolute positive he won't show up for camp at 375 if you want to draft him.
  17. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yes on Lane Johnson, no on moving Tyron Smith to RT. I think Tyron Smith will have a damn good shot at the Pro Bowl next year. He started out shaky as a LT last year, but that was to be expected during the transition. He ended the season playing at a very high level. To move him again would be stupid. Besides, he will be a better player than Lane Johnson.

Our interior line is in far worse shape than our tackle position. I suggest we draft a G/C or defensive line.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,726 Messages
    3,471 Likes Received
    I think some teams might see Cooper as both an OG an OC (he started 1 game at OC in college). That changes the equation because it is not uncommon for Centers to get drafted before #18.

There are many very good Guards in this draft.

Warford is very similar to Warmack, IMO.

Dallas Thomas is very similar to Cooper, IMO.

After the Senior Bowl weigh-in, it appears that many of the OTs will be projected to OG due to limited arm-length.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,726 Messages
    3,471 Likes Received
    He is a Guard only, IMO. He will need to drop about 25 lbs to have a shot a RT in the NFL.

Even at OG, he needs to go to a team that runs a man-blocking scheme.

I see him dropping to the 3rd round.
  20. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

940 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I did not see the all pro talent leaking out this year, hope you are correct. I do agree we are in worse shape on the inside of the OLine but you take the BPA at that pick. I also agree with moving Smith to RT but it is not the end of the playoffs to have two good tackles and average interior lineman. Free needs to be replaced and I feel Parnell is OK but at some point Tony is not going to get up after eating another sack. That is the end of the playoffs.