1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Jerry Jones will not fire Jason Garrett...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jday, Oct 30, 2012.

1. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,908 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    ...this year or following this year.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2010/02/on-jerry-jones-wade-phillips-and-chan-ga.html/

Jerry Jones has said one of the biggest mistakes he made as Cowboys owner was to fire Chan Gailey after two seasons. That became a recurring theme as he laid the groundwork for his decision to bring Wade Phillips back.
    “No, I have not talked to Jerry about that statement,” said Gailey, who is now the head coach in Buffalo. “Jerry was very good to us while we were in Dallas.
    “But I will not disagree with his statement.”
    Gailey said he appreciates Jones’ comments and hopes to tell him so this week in Indianapolis. And what about Phillips, who got a new contract?
    “Yeah,” Gailey said. “Wade owes me.”

...and now Jason does, Chan.

Now, can we please, please, with sugar on top move on to a new topic?!?!?!?!?
  2. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,410 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Something spectacular in a negative way would have to happen for Jerry to even consider it. Having Garrett as HC is just too comfortable of a situation for Jerry personally for him to quickly axe Garrett. Not saying i agree with it, but that's my thought...
  3. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I would say one of Jerry's biggest mistakes was hiring Chan in the first place...
  4. bracey

bracey Active Member

950 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Problem is, you inhabit reality with the rest of us. Jerry does not.
  5. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Seriously. What is Chan Gailey doing in Buffalo? What did he do in college?
  6. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

533 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    The spectacular may happen in the form of the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday night in a very embarassing way.
  7. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,684 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Really? Of all the blunders.. Campo as HC comes to mind.

of all the blunders Jerry has..

The Best is he hired Chan? :laugh2: .. But, Switzer,,? Wow,there was a doozy..:laugh2:

Jerry isn't firing Jason because of Jerry's BIG EGO.... He hand picked red and will be damned if he doesn't succeed with him.
  8. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think Switzer was as bad a hire as Gailey. Gailey hasn't done anything at any level. A head coach is a managerial position more than anything else and Switzer had a ton of success at the college level. It was logical that he got his shot in the pros.
  9. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

991 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I don't understand why everyone always wants to pick on Campo.We were in salary cap hell for 3 years and had no talent to speak of. Who was Jerry supposed to hire? No sane coach would have came here. Campo took one for the team and he did Jerry a big favor. He had absolutely no chance to win.
  10. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,473 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    Gailey was a good hire. He didn't work out here but that was the sort of forward thinking approach that eventually lands you a guy like Tomlin or Harbaugh (the one in Baltimore).

Garrett is an extraordinarily inexperienced coach. He rose fast -- he likely would have been better off working as an assistant for longer. You have to give a guy like that time to figure stuff out. That's how you make good long term decisions.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,721 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    Gailey is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. That doesn't define him as a coach but it doesn't hurt either. He deserves a shot and it's going to take awhile in Buffalo.
  12. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    I agree w this. Problem is, this roster doesn't have time for him to figure it out.

Timing on hiring Garrett was way off.
  13. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Entirely different situations. Pittsburgh and Baltimore are strong football organizations. The Cowboys even then were run by Jerry Jones and his cronies. Gailey only had the success he did because of the residual talent the Cowboys had from the Johnson era.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,303 Messages
    3,034 Likes Received
    When you hire a HC you are looking long term not just today for one.
  15. Trajan

Trajan Active Member

693 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    This is classic Jerry. He has learned something good, but applies it incorrectly. He thinks he should give a coach time to put a system together, to implement before canning them. His assumption is this will lead to greater success.

This is true, good head coaches need time to produce, BUT in true Jerry form he fails to realize he is making poor choices for head coach. If we gave Campo five more seasons would he produce something better ? No. If Wade was still here I think he would not have figured it out ? Doubt it. The same will most likely be said of Garrett.

So, Jerry will give him longer then anyone should but since the guy probably isn't head coaching material to being with it won't matter.
  16. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You don't sacrifice the careers of some of the best players in franchise history for some guy to use your HC position as an internship. That'll ultimately be the result of the Jason Garrett era in Dallas. He's not going to get it done in Dallas. Whether he goes on and is successful elsewhere is up for debate, but in the end he will have used the Cowboys to get his feet wet.
  17. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    You don't ruin what you have now, For the future. That's just dumb. Not when this team can win now.
  18. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,312 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    Jerry will do what he always does. Extend JG and hang onto him for two or more years of failure until he moves on. Just like he has always done with the players, TO, Barber, Newman, on and on and on.....
  19. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    If Jerry rides Jason until this teams window completely closes. Then he might as well keep him for another 5 years after that.

You either fire Jason now and give this group a real chance. Or you keep Garrett forever and give him a real chance to figure it out.

I'd get a real guy In here now and win with this group. Or at least give us a chance to
  20. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Its because he is a delusional old man desperately holding on to the glory days. Sad.