1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Monte Kiffin? Why now?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Soth, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,913 Messages
    5,548 Likes Received
    He's conducting interviews right now. He might retain a coach or two from the previous staff. Jerome Henderson is supposedly the most likely candidate to stay. Maybe Brian Baker.
  2. Soth

Soth Active Member

335 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I agree. But I was trying to find something positive with the move. It will be a LONG offseason. Usually I am pretty optimistic about our chances, but it is hard to remain optimistic this year.

I thought we would spend the offseason trying to find OL and possibly Spencer's replacement. Now we have to get new DL, new Safeties, OL and Spencer's replacement... How are we going to do that? We have no cap space?

If it were up to me, I would have give Rob another chance and focused on OL, but I am not the expert.
  3. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,235 Messages
    1,977 Likes Received

I know, its like football 101 that you better have a dump truck at NT if you want to run a successful 34 defense.

Why we tried to do it with Ratliff, who is a good player, just way too small for the postion.

My .02
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,235 Messages
    1,977 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  5. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,641 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Interesting points. Probably the reason for so many of the turnovers as well. Players are under more pressure to make plays when the team is behind on the scoreboard.

One thing that stood out was the lack of imagination in the playbook. Teams have figured out the Dallas playbook, and there was very little scheming from week to week. The Seattle loss the second week after beating the Giants was shocking, given Dallas was playing against a rookie QB.
  6. panchucko

panchucko I'm too excited to sleep.. Zone Supporter

1,927 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    I find it funny, that the coordinators can interview and bring in the coaches they want. From what is said on this board the HC gets the coordinators forced on to him.
  7. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,884 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    A lot of people are focused on how the 4-3 and zone will counter the skins and rg 3..... Our whole off season last year was about countering the giants... Our draft and FA signings were about matching the gnats receiving corps....
    Eli has to be licking his chops at the thought of us playing zone coverage....
  8. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,390 Messages
    113 Likes Received
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,058 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received
    Kiffin would not have been my 1st choice but in my view it is not a bad choice. I look forward to see him work with the defense and hopefully can get this unit playing to a high standard.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,792 Messages
    2,861 Likes Received
    Why Now?

Because if it was not now, and they waited a few more years...he would be REALLY REALLY old by the time they hired him. As is he is just REALLY old.
  11. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

805 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I am reasonably certain Dallas will not be 8-8 again next year.

Either 11-5 or 5-11...depending on injuries and how well the gamble with Kiffin goes.
  12. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,494 Messages
    260 Likes Received
    Because Ratliff made the pro bowl at DT one year and didn't want to move and nobody had the stones to tell him he was moving to DE where he should have been playing all along. Therefore, they never viewed NT as a need high enough in the draft to get a real NT or in free agency. They kept going cheap looking for a complimentary player to Ratliff instead of a replacement. I never understood it. I don't pretend to know much about the X's and O's but even I could see Ratliff getting doubled and wearing down and there always seeming to be big holes right up the middle in the second halves of games. I always thought Ratliff and Ware coming around the same end would be a nightmare for opposing teams but I guess the team never thought so.
  13. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,342 Messages
    364 Likes Received

:post:
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,922 Messages
    1,667 Likes Received
    There are sevral reasons why we're going to the 4-3.

Another one is quite possibly the proliferation of the option being mixed in (or taking over as in Washinton's case) offensive game plans.

Monte Kiffin developed his version of the 4-3 at Nebraska to combat option offenses. Of course, that defense has been tweaked plenty of times since then --including when he and Dungy adjusted it in Tampa to battle the West Coast offenses.

It's going to be fine folks. Probably so grwoing pains with personnel adjustments and players learning a new, but simpler, scheme.
  15. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Ryan had bad hair and a big mouth and he's a Ryan--he did not get it done. and Kiffin is not a dope; he's a well respected defensive mind who will adapt to his players like he did no Tampa.