1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Smith over Constanzo?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by gimmesix, Apr 16, 2011.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,956 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Just bought three draft guides today and two of them rate Anthony Constanzo as the top offensive tackle available in the draft.

However, in discussions I've seen here, it appears the Tyron Smith is preferred over Constanzo (possibly even by the Cowboys). Why is that?

Now, I've read about Smith's tremendous upside (if that's the reason), but it seems to me (based on what I've read) that Constanzo is more of a sure bet and a better possibility to step in immediately as a starter.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Castanzo has less overall potential. Simple as that. Smith is almost a freakish athlete. Super long arms and still did 31 reps. quick and fast; put on weight quickly and still looked ripped. That is why he is rated so high.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Smith is stronger and faster and only 20. He has a very real chance to be a special player for a long time. That said, I like Castonzo just fine. Carimi too.

We can improve RT with any of these guys.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,821 Messages
    2,669 Likes Received
    My question is what is so great about Castonzo. I freely admit I've never watched him play one snap, but he seems very generic and I wonder if he isn't getting overrated just because of the school he went to (which is totally meaningless).
  5. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,019 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Are those published, pen and ink draft guides? If so, they may be months behind. A number of the magazines are pushed out even before the combine results are in, and don't reflect up to date opinions.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly.

Further, what a draft guide says doesn't mean much.
  7. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I personally like Carimi later in the round. I think he'll be a fine pick
  8. gimmesix

8,956 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I see that, but the potential factor is one that always concerns me because it leads to picking busts like Alex Barron.

It seems to me that Smith has only risen because he is a "freakish athlete," not because he has shown a great acumen for playing tackle.

Constanzo was a standout at the Senior Bowl and seems to have the one thing Smith lacks, a great understanding of how to play the position.
  9. gimmesix

8,956 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    From what I understand, Constanzo is another in a line of players who will get the job done and be solid in doing it, but isn't going to impress people who are looking for great athleticism and the like.

I don't think there's anything "great" about him, but it appears to me that he is less likely to fail than Smith.
  10. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've watched him and I'm not impressed with him either. I'm really hoping he doesn't end up in Dallas. Of the consensus Top 5 OT this year, I like Smith, Carimi and Sherrod.

Although an effort guy, I think he's pretty sloppy technique wise, has bad feet and struggles overextending and reaching.

The UNC game in '09 against Robert Quinn is a good example of this.

[youtube]kqJrjwjf55c[/youtube]
  11. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He was a four year starter too
  12. gimmesix

8,956 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Yes, but both are after the combine results. However, I wouldn't devalue their opinions if they didn't include the combine because I think the combine numbers sometimes sway opinions away from production on the field.

It appears to me in that area that Constanzo is more stable than Smith.

(I guess I'm looking for someone who has seen both play, or at least Smith play, who can tell me why Smith is the better pick ... other than measurables.)
  13. gimmesix

8,956 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Thanks, that helps. Seems like he did well on the running plays and struggled on at least half of the pass plays shown.
  14. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    why did you buy those guides. Thats a big waste of money. Those mags are written before the combine.
  15. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Alex Gibbs thinks Smith will be a pro bowl player.

Tyron Smith is a great run blocker at RT and the best run blocking OT in this draft. I've seen him pancake guys at 285. His second level run blocking is elite. Smith has a mean streak. He is a natural RT, and the NFL is projecting him to LT. Smith is the best pass protector in this draft. His combination of athleticism and power blows away every offensive tackle in this draft, and he has been universally compared to D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Smith has the film to back up his freakish measureables.

According to Charlie Casserly, Castonzo needs to get stronger in his legs and will have trouble with the bull rush early on, and he doesn't have as strong of an anchor. He is a better fit for a team like the Patriots, a team with a short passing game. Castonzo will most likely just be a solid, steady player, perhaps at RT. Plus, he will play at 23. Dallas has a serviceable LT already, in Doug Free.

Tyron Smith would be the perfect fit for Felix Jones and Jason Garrett's vertical passing game. He is only 20 years old, and his ceiling is extremely high. He's a blue chip, cornerstone foundation in the offensive line. All things being equal, when he's 32, Smith will be going into his 13th year.

Smith has all the tools to dominate at RT or LT.

The Cowboys old, deteriorated offensive line needs a dominate player, and Smith has all the tools to dominate in the NFL. He would really open up the field and playbook for Felix Jones and keep Tony Romo off his back. By at least November, Smith would be Dallas' best offensive linemen, imo.

The line is in horrendous shape, and Smith's talent is badly needed up front. Adding inferior players like Carimi, Castonzo, Solder, or Sherrod wouldn't have near the impact that adding a superior talent like Tyron Smith would have. Dallas needs a difference maker, a dominating player, and Smith fits the bill.
  16. gimmesix

8,956 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Thanks, 41. This is what I wanted to read.

I don't like the combine seemingly shooting up a player's stock. Measurables do not make the man, so it's good to read comments about his play.

PFW seems to really question his football IQ, with that being the main concern along with playing with a narrow base and lacking power (which might be attributed to the weight he played at).

The comments it makes about him potentially having trouble with complex blitzes concerned me because we've got enough problems there as is.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,821 Messages
    2,669 Likes Received
    FWIW, Gimmesix, a bunch of us -- or at least some of us -- aren't totally sold on Smith, either.
  18. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Your welcome.

When it comes to Smith, I wouldn't listen to Pro Football Weekly. Their hit job on Smith (medical) appears to have been debunked by Chad Reuter of CBS Sports.com.

Tyron Smith is very strong in his upper body, and he plays with a textbook wide base. Smith has the most powerful hand punch of any of the first round offensive tackles. Nate Solder is the guy who plays with the narrow base, not Smith. Tyron is the guy who sinks his hips and plays with a solid, wide base. He's the guy who gets great leverage with his great technique and ideal height. His 36 1/2 inch arms and his 85 3/4 inch wing span helps him keep guys from getting into him and helps him recover. Plus, he has that powerful hand punch to stun and halt his opponent. Smith at 285 (on film) is the best offensive tackle in this draft. He's going to be even better with his added muscle and strength.

Castonzo has teams concerned about his back and knees according to NFL Network. Pro Football Weekly has Castonzo rated above Smith and gave Castonzo a free pass in this regards. Castonzo is no where near the superior athlete than Tyron Smith is on the football field.

Pete Carrol stated that Smith can come in and play right away. Matt Mosely quoted some NFL scouts, and one talked about how Smith had the film to back up his exceptional measureables.
  19. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Mosley talked to 3 AFC scouts and 1 NFC scout in order to seek out the safest players in the draft. Tyron Smith made the list of 6 players. He rated him fourth.

People have heard how there was "no offensive tackle worth a top 10 pick" for months. That has been drilled into everyone's head. However, I've been advocating drafting Smith at 9 since Wes Bunting came out and stated that he could be a top 10 pick. (December) ? I first learned about him then. That was a long, long, long time ago. I have argued for drafting Smith at 9 for months and received significant resistance, and now the experts have aligned with what I have been arguing for, drafting Tyron Smith at 9.

If Smith is only a RT, and the NFL doesn't see his future at RT, he is the best RT in the draft and has all the tools to dominate at RT in the NFL. Plus, he has the film at RT to strengthen his case to be drafted by Dallas, because they need a RT bad.

There is a reason why Smith was able to just weigh in and lift at the combine and shoot up draft boards. Smith has the film and very high ceiling to back up his elite measureables according to an AFC scout, via Mosley. Erik Williams...Rayfield Wright... Didn't Dallas lose a game at RT last year? Mark Colombo is the worst OT in the entire NFL, and he is holding the offense hostage.

Tony Romo can't keep taking the beat downs that he has received in 2008 and 2010 and last much longer. Tyron Smith is a perfect fit for Felix Jones and the perfect fit for Garrett's vertical passing game. Smith is exceptional in pass protection, and we have not seen him at his very best, yet.

Gabe Carimi- projects to RT only and may be a guard due to his lack of foot quickness; doesn't excel in space; played in a heavy run based offense. Did Wisconsin ever throw the football? He has bust written all over him, imo. His strength comes as an inline run blocker. Teams will not just rush him down the middle. They will exploit his lack of foot quickness on the edge and set him up for bull rushes and inside and outside moves. NFL edge rushers will wear him out after they make him edge conscious. He will need that TE a bunch, and he is best suited for a run heavy team like the Chiefs. Plus, he was listed at 327 at Wisconsin and is listed at 314 now. Is he going to lose his pop as an inline run blocker, because that is his calling card. He's one of the most over rated players that I've ever seen, and he called himself the "best offensive linemen in the draft". In his dreams...Carimi will play at 23 this year.

Derek Sherrod-Played LT and is a natural LT. Will he need to be broken in at RT or OG? If so, he doesn't have Tyron Smith's film or experience at RT. He isn't very physical at the point of attack. He doesn't finish his blocks and lacks a mean streak on the field. He is a finesse player who will be best used on the left side by a team like the Colts. He will play at 22 this year. I like him behind Tyron.

Nate Solder-Big upside as a LT, but he has bust potential. He lacks power and needs to get stronger in order to anchor better. He plays with a narrow base and struggles to get a push in the running game. Solder is prone to getting beat inside. I wonder if he even has a first round grade for the Cowboys. He seems like a player that will struggle at RT until he gets stronger. Solder may not be ready to play his first year, much less start. Plus, he will play at 23 this year. This is the over hyped player. ESPN...

You may not even want an offensive tackle in round one, but the value has aligned with the Cowboys huge need, and time will tell if Dallas will cash in a B.J. Raiji type of value.

If Smith was coming out as a senior, he would be a top 5 pick next year. He didn't play at Mississippi State, Wisconsin, or Colorado. He plays on a stacked USC team.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    I stopped reading at "strongest hand punch", which is just a bold faced lie. Smith has a lot if things in his favor, a strong punch is not one of them.