1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Terrell McClain Will Start For The Dallas Cowboys In 2014

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Nirvana, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,305 Messages
    1,284 Likes Received
    Article continues here: http://sportdfw.com/2014/03/30/terrell-mcclain-will-start-dallas-cowboys-2014/
    jobberone and OhSnap like this.
  2. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,520 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Yuck.

The writer of this article is clueless -- McClain started most of the season as an under tackle in Carolina's 4-3 scheme and was cut after one year. The Patriots had also switched to a 4-3 by the time they picked him up and promptly cut him to re-sign Bobby Carpenter. Forgive me for not being optimistic about the prospect of a third-string nose tackle from the team with the first overall pick in the draft this year coming in and transforming the Dallas Cowboys DL.
    car351, Galian Beast and RS12 like this.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Pretty simple.

There's nobody else.
    car351, tantrix1969, CyberB0b and 5 others like this.
  4. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,126 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    You know, you can't have it both ways. The Cowboys defense was one of the worst in league history last year. If we got "the most" out of our players, then the players simply weren't good enough even at their best. Getting the most out of Nick Hayden doesn't make Nick Hayden worth putting on the field as a starter. And "more talented than Nick Hayden" is not really a compliment. Marinelli's supposed magic powers are no substitute for a massive infusion of talent.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,849 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    That's why they went out got someone better. They improved the position without breaking the bank. How can that be a bad thing?
    jazzcat22 and Cowboy06 like this.
  6. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

249 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    While I think Terrell McClain does have a chance to contribute this season this article was terrible. The only major points seemed to be the switch to a 4-3 defense and the opportunity for Rod Marinelli to work his magic. If you want to convince me that a player is going to become a "household name" I need some breakdown of the player, not just more secret sauce talk.
    jobberone likes this.
  7. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,061 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    I suppose it depends on how much they improved the position.
    jobberone likes this.
  8. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,665 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    He's a JAG.
    car351 and Risen Star like this.
  9. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    You can't call him a has been that's for sure.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,624 Likes Received
    He's a potential role player until proven otherwise. I will say that Selvie, Hayden, and Hatcher all had career years last year. I expect Melton and Crawford do perform similarly this season, and I have hopes we've added or will add players with some potential to do so before we're all said and done.

If nothing else, we'll have a stronger rotation top-to-bottom than we ended last season with.
    jobberone likes this.
  11. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Totally.

This article is depressing.
  12. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,528 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    I personally don't think he will start, Dallas hasn't drafted the starting DE yet.
  13. Nirvana

4,305 Messages
    1,284 Likes Received
    I still have hopes Crawford could be our Dontari Poe at the 1 tech. If Spencer comes back or someone like Crichton is drafted I could see a role for Crawford there. At 285 and little body fat he has the room to grow into that position. I'm not sold on McClain, and Hayden should be cut if possible.
    car351 likes this.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    I pulled up the coaches film to review McClain.

In Houston he played NT and DT in the nickel.
    He is exactly what you would expect for a Marinelli type 1-tech DT. He's quicker than the average 1-tech but not as big. He looked quicker than Houston's starting NT but not quite as strong.

Looking at the Houston film, I would expect many 4-3 teams to try him at the 3-tech but he would definitely be a 1-tech for Marinelli.

I went back to 2011 and reviewed some Panthers games. He was the starter there primarily at the 3-tech. He looked much different than he did in the 2013 film. He didn't look as quick or as strong and his technique/awareness was not as good either. He appeared to be heavier which combined with maybe playing too many snaps seemed to take away a lot of his quickness.

Summary: There's no doubt that he a better player than Nick Hayden. The 4-3 1-tech position, especially in Marinelli's scheme, appears to be a better position for him than being a 3-4 NT or 4-3 3-tech; although, I could see him playing some snaps at 3-tech for Marinelli.
    jobberone, pancakeman, guag and 6 others like this.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    That's it right there. If he starts it'll only be because we lack a real starter.
  16. Nirvana

4,305 Messages
    1,284 Likes Received
    According to PFF, in 182 snaps last season with Houston, McClain had 0 sacks, 0 QB hits and only 3 QB hurries. That should cancel any ideas of him playing 3 tech immediately.
    jobberone likes this.
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    I liked the addition of McClain, but that was with expect ions of him being a young backup or developing rotational guy at most. If he starts full time, I'd be worried.
    casmith07 likes this.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    Compared to Hayden a JAG would be a big improvement.
    Common Sense likes this.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    Like I said, he should be a 1-tech; however, comparing stats of a 3-4 NT is probably not a good indicator of his ability to play the 3-tech. He played the run 1st on a lot of snaps. Also, the idea of the 3-tech in Marinelli's scheme is that it's difficult to double team that player; whereas, a 3-4 NT is always double-teamed.
    starfrombirth likes this.
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    I would bet a #1 technique DT will be drafted in the latter part of the draft.
    jobberone and Common Sense like this.