1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Terrell McClain Will Start For The Dallas Cowboys In 2014

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Nirvana, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,295 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    You said he also played DT in the nickel also though - I'm assuming that's a decent amount of the 182 snaps he got. I have a hard time believing this guy is a good pass rusher.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,462 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    Me too...
  3. Nirvana

4,295 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    Going back to 2011 (2012 he had a trivial 21 snaps with zero pressure) McClain had 481 snaps, 1 QB sack, 2 QB hits and 9 QB hurries. That was at the 3 tech.
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,845 Messages
    1,214 Likes Received
    Broaddus has said that he's very active in both the run and the pass. Would that fit with what you saw or is that overstating what he can do in the pass rush?
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,612 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    Maybe 10% as a nickel DT. The significance of him playing some snaps in the nickel is that NTs usually go out of the game in the nickel.

I'm not sure how anybody judges a player without watching the game footage.

Marinelli prefers a 1-tech that has better pass rush ability than what some other teams look for in a 1-tech; however, the 3-tech is still the primary pass rushing position. The 1-tech is not going to rack up much in pass rush stats even in Marinelli's defense.
  6. dboyz

dboyz Active Member

804 Messages
    68 Likes Received

xwalker: I watched some film of him in Houston and agree with your analysis. Looks like he has some ability to get upfield. I think he could probably be ok as a rotation guy who doesn't play more than 50% of the time.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,598 Messages
    3,133 Likes Received
    And that's a comfortable lead in sacks over Hayden who had 800+ snaps last year.

No, McClain isn't going to be a #3 technique on this club.

I do think a #3 will be drafted early in the draft... Or maybe a guy who can play the #3 and the #1.

Maybe someone like William Sutton.
  8. xwalker

13,612 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    Yes, I would agree with that. I think the key will be not playing him too many snaps per game.

The primary thing that I got from the game footage is that he is much quicker than Hayden and he has the ability to shed blocks which was a problem for some of the DT in 2013.
  9. Nirvana

4,295 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    I would think he would have some better pass rush numbers if he has some ability in the area. My conclusion thus far is I'm not convinced we have the 1 tech position starter we are looking for. I'd like to see the draft address this position early or SDE addressed so that Crawford could be moved over there.
  10. xwalker

13,612 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    Hayden needs to be replaced regardless of how good McClain turns out to be.

They really need to decide on Crawford's primary position. He will likely want to keep his weight on the lower end if he's going to be a DE and on the higher side if he's going to be a DT. He's still a young player and they could slow his progress if they have him bouncing around positions.
  11. speedkilz88

20,845 Messages
    1,214 Likes Received
    Last season they planned on putting him at SDE with Spencer healthy at the time. So I think he still goes there first.
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,598 Messages
    3,133 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  13. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,050 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    I won't say much about the article but I will say that there was a time when people thought Scandrick and Jason Hatcher were "JAG's".
    jazzcat22, Kaiser and thunderpimp91 like this.
  14. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Let's tap the brakes a bit WRT TM starting. We haven't even had the draft yet and I see Dallas going D-Line heavy in this draft. He might be a decent rotational player but a starter he is not.
  15. xwalker

13,612 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    Are you sure Dontari Poe is the guy that you're think about? He's not remotely similar to Crawford or anybody on the Cowboys roster. Poe is a freak that had a faster 10 yard time at 346 lbs than Crawford did at 275 lbs.
  16. speedkilz88

20,845 Messages
    1,214 Likes Received
    I'd settle for Reggie White.;)
  17. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,199 Messages
    5,428 Likes Received
    Are you joking?

They are not the same kind of player.
  18. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

911 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    I'm not that concerned either way. 1 Tech isn't a premier position in this defense and Dallas will very likely draft a player at the position. That pick, McClain and Hayden will all get snaps so its not a big deal to me who they refer to as the starter. Its going to be a wave of guys plugging gaps, its not like its a CB out on an island facing Megatron.
  19. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,813 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    If they don't get Donald, then I think they'll pick up a guy like Sutton who could challenge to start at the 1 and could back up Melton at the 3.
  20. speedkilz88

20,845 Messages
    1,214 Likes Received
    Agreed but if they find another 1 tech, Hayden is likely on the outside looking in.
    Kaiser likes this.