1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Terrell McClain Will Start For The Dallas Cowboys In 2014

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Nirvana, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,154 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Totally agree they draft another guy for the 1 but I look at Hayden in 2013 like Bernadeau in 2012. Put better guys around him and make him a rotation guy instead of a starter - and you have an OK player.
    jazzcat22 and skinsscalper like this.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

33,243 Messages
    3,549 Likes Received
    There's something to be said about that approach.

I'm not sure how much better Hayden would be at say 15 snaps a game. He was just so bad last year.

If the Cowboys do not draft a #1 technique guy, Hayden probably has a good shot at making the team. If they do draft a #1... well all bets are off.

And really that would be a healthy sign for the defense. The two worst players on the defense last season (per PFF) were Hayden and Ernie Sims. Even if you have a problem with PFF grades, those two make a lot of sense. And if neither one of them is part of the 2014 Cowboy defense (and their 1,200 snaps) then so much the better.
    jobberone and IrishAnto like this.
  3. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,747 Messages
    1,614 Likes Received
    "Our Dontari Poe" = A guy on our line who gets that kind of pass rush at a nose/DT1 position. Not the body type.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

15,668 Messages
    7,009 Likes Received
    Your Ben Bass avatar cracks me up. I now envision you and Bass as the same person.:)
    Nirvana likes this.
  5. Nirvana

4,747 Messages
    1,614 Likes Received
    Pulled up an old scouting report on Crawford from nfl.com coming out of college into the draft - good read:

STRENGTHS
    Crawford is quick to get out of his stance off the snap and has the instincts to slant and hit a gap without being touched. He is consistently disrupting plays in the backfield and is a solid tackler. He is a strong player who shows an explosive arm jolt when keeping blockers at bay. Crawford shows good change of direction when stopping to pursue plays laterally. As a rusher, his motor is the key to his success. He never gives up on a play and can use a strong burst to get to the quarterback. He has a ton of upside, which undoubtedly increases his values to teams who are set at the position and willing to patient and work with him. Despite his size, he could even play special teams early on in his career because he has such a nasty demeanor.

WEAKNESSES
    Crawford is a raw prospect who only has one year of collegiate playing experience at the Football Bowl Subdivision level. He would be a project early on for the team that selects him, and he could have a tough time adapting right away. He has had trouble getting off double teams, which could be a technique issue, a likely possibility given his well-documented strength. Crawford will need extra coaching and attention to adjust to the NFL.
  6. xwalker

15,668 Messages
    7,009 Likes Received
    I hope they pick a position for him and keep him there this season.
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,692 Messages
    5,807 Likes Received
    And--again. Not the same kind of player. We will be fortunate if McClain is someone who consumes space for a few downs a game.
  8. Nirvana

4,747 Messages
    1,614 Likes Received
    I was referring to putting Crawford there (with added weight) (and have McClain as the back-up) so as to get some pass rush from that position. I get that Poe weighs over 340 pounds, I really do.
  9. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Alright this word JAG....I have seen it 50 times in the last month.

What exactly is a JAG

Thank you in advance! :D:D:D:eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::rolleyes:
  10. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

4,008 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    I bet we draft 2 at least.... wave theory and all.
  11. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,813 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    Just a guy
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,154 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    I don't go off ratings like that because he was really asked to plug holes, which he did. It wasn't a position that posts a stat line.

He was bad a pass rusher, but OK as a run defender IMO. To me he is a "be careful what you wish for" guy because he was the 4th option after Rat, Crawford and Bass went down. We could have been playing the street FAs earlier if not for Hayden.

For a guy we signed for nothing to a futures contract, I wasn't holding to that high of a standard anyway.
  13. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,937 Messages
    2,576 Likes Received
    Think the starters will be either Melton and Crawford or Melton and Bass.
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

33,243 Messages
    3,549 Likes Received
    Oh I understand.

And I wasn't holding him (and I don't think anyone else was either) to any high standard.

But the fact is on a very bad defense, he was arguably the worst player. It is what it is. And if the Cowboys could replace him with just an average performing #1... well I think it's self explanatory.
    Kaiser likes this.
  15. xwalker

15,668 Messages
    7,009 Likes Received
    He was not great, but PFF ratings have been shown to be crap time after time.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,195 Messages
    9,029 Likes Received
    It's a Parcelsism. Just A Guy. Not a special player. Though every team needs guys.
  17. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

24,180 Messages
    11,393 Likes Received
    I'm not sure the league is ready for Ben Bass.
    jobberone likes this.
  18. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,791 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    There was an interview with McClain on an article last week, where he stated that Marinelli has him playing 3 tech because of his foot quickness. Should we discount what he said in the article and proclaim him the starter at nose?
  19. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

2,974 Messages
    1,079 Likes Received
    As it stands now, mcClain is our 1 tech.
    Selvie McClain Melton Crawford
    Mincey bass kearse

Add a couple pieces through the draft and I think we could.....

Still be a mediocre team.

Could be worse. Our nickname could be the "browns"

Ben Bass will be productive role player
  20. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,709 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    Could it be a contingency since Melton has not been cleared to practice. Or one in place in case they could not sign a or draft a 3 tech