1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Terrell McClain Will Start For The Dallas Cowboys In 2014

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Nirvana, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,931 Messages
    7,683 Likes Received
    Really? That's interesting. Any chance you can find the link? I'd be interested in that interview.
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    The article mentioned he could play both and it was before Melton signed to play the 3.
  3. Idgit

31,931 Messages
    7,683 Likes Received
    Ok. So that makes sense.
  4. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4725936/terrell-mcclain-looking-to-start-for-dallas

Look for the those type guys in the draft, DE and DTs.
    Idgit likes this.
  5. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,171 Messages
    2,344 Likes Received
    Selvie took a similar path.

Look at Shaun Smith. Dallas cut him, then he kicked around, and now he's a solid defensive tackle. Guys sometimes develop later given the chance.

But I still draft my starter if I can and just hope McClain comes around.
    jobberone and Idgit like this.
  6. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,607 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    So is McClain and improvement over Hayden only because the Cowboys signed him? I could have sworn I saw posts that people like Hayden and the LSU guy we released during the season. It may be the same people saying McClain is a clear cut improvement.

I have no idea if he is an improvement. I hope he is, but the bar is not that high. It just seems people were planning Hayden into the Cowboys plans until his replacement was signed.
  7. Idgit

31,931 Messages
    7,683 Likes Received
    Most of us see an opportunity to improve the DL at the one tech. Whether that's McClain or another player, it doesn't matter much to me. Hayden was a role player who gave us some starting snaps. I'm glad he did, but something's wrong if he's starting again next season.
  8. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Hayden gave them competent early down play against the run but he was used way too much and even on passing downs because of all the injuries. Pretty good for a late addition off the street. But he's not irreplaceable. I don't think anyones ever said that.
    Kaiser and Idgit like this.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,686 Messages
    5,837 Likes Received
    He played quality snaps in 2013. Hayden was out of football in 2012 and Drake Nevis was cut twice in 2013 before coming to the Cowboys.
  10. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,140 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    McClain is better than Hayden...
  11. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,355 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    SDE-Crawford, Bass, Mincey
    DT1-McClain, Draft pick *
    DT3-Melton, Draft pick *
    WDE-Selvie, Rayford, Draft pick *

* possible starter
  12. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    lets not forget, we are heaping accolades on selvie and some of these other folks, and they were part of a team that was 32nd in defense and one of the worst in league history and one of the worst DLs and two of the best players just left the team.

doesn't give me a lot of confidence on these players.

both of them are rotational players at best. need upgraded most probably.
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,639 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received
    That's not bad.

But I think Bass is going to be an inside player, which is where they had him at training camp prior to his injury. He's 6'5" close to 300lbs. I think he's a DT in this system. And I think he backs up both spots, assuming he stays injury free and assuming he makes the team.
    jobberone likes this.
  14. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Yeah, and Rayford did his damage in Indy at the SDE. They also have Martez Wilson who has been listed as a LB but should be a WDE in the Cowboys scheme.
  15. Nirvana

4,355 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    Wilson has the right size for WDE but doesn't have the skills - I wouldn't expect him to make the final 53 unless something goes very wrong at camp. He's a journeyman who we picked up as an emergency fill in. He was not impressive last season either.

Rayford's best chance at making the team is at WDE depth chart side.
  16. Nirvana

4,355 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    According to BTB article a few days ago Bass is 285. They had him at SDE last year but I could see him playing some 3 tech and backing up both spots.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014...n-bass-profile-defensive-line-3-tech-DE-DL-DT
  17. Va_BoysFan4 Life

Va_BoysFan4 Life Member

347 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I can see 3 draft picks use for the DL, whether that is 2 DT/ 1 DE or 2 DE/ 1DT. I see Hayden coming back as role player unless he loses the job. Rayford really have to show or he will be back on the practice squad or cut. I believe Bass will definitely go inside. And with that being said I have grown a little warmer to a trade down. I do not see Donald as a Cowboy as much as I would like him to be.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,992 Messages
    4,513 Likes Received
    That got a chuckle. I think Bass has a chance of being a player. JMO.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,992 Messages
    4,513 Likes Received
    I think he competes for the 3 and SDE. I think he could play the 1 some as well although that's not the best place for him. I think Selvie gets more snaps as a 5 on passing downs and less on running downs which Crawford and Bass can do for the most part. I'm hoping they draft a 3 and/or a 5 and wouldn't mind a 1 later on. That will make a decent rotation.
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,639 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think a 3, a 5 and a 1 is definitely possible.