1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why The Cowboys Should Consider LB Telvin Smith

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Mar 18, 2014.

1. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,699 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    Darrin Smith was a little bigger and could run about as fast as Woody but he was not a ferocious hitter or as instinctive. Guy was more of an athlete than a football player.
  2. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,740 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    ....was thinking like you were, that this kid being discussed sounds as instinctive and smart as a Woodson........
  3. bodi

bodi Active Member

658 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    sorry he should be a safety
  4. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,397 Messages
    760 Likes Received
    Im not trying to call you out, but you completely contradicted yourself here.

You've said several time FSU's defense is full of NFL talent but then say we shouldn't rate them as highly because they're all so good. Ummm ok.

In your Ware comparison, you essentially say talent is talent no matter what the team is. Wait, which is it?

Im not a fan of Telvin Smith. He is too small and won't be able to hold up in the NFL. Maybe in the later rounds but definitely not on the first couple days.
  5. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,699 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    In Marinelli's 4-3, the positions are almost indistinguishable. The WILL is practically a strong safety sized LB anyway. Seattle's Kam Chancellor (who Telvin is compared to) would have been an OLB in Jimmy's 4-3.
    NeonDeion21 likes this.
  6. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,092 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Church played a ton of WILL this year. Go watch him aganist PHI in the first game.
  7. dbonham

dbonham Active Member

295 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    A small guy like Malcolm smith succeeds in Seattle due to the size of the D line, our line is not going to be keeping him clean.
  8. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Not sure where he plays with his build, and I agree with you completely.
  9. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,230 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received
    With the news that Carter is moving to SAM, I like the idea of drafting this kid a lot as a WILL. And rotate him with Holloman and Lee, strictly in nickel. Can he play special teams? That's where he'll need to get snaps as well.

Edit:

10. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,699 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    Agree with the instincts/football IQ comparison. And Smith is actually a more vocal leader than Woody, especially early on in their careers. Whether at SS or WILL, Smith would improve the speed, instincts, tackling and coverage at those spots.
  11. Va_BoysFan4 Life

Va_BoysFan4 Life Member

347 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I Iike what I have seen of this kid. Wondering could he comfortably carry 10 to 15 more pounds to start. I believe he will definitely need the extra weight to play OLB. But everything he brings to the table is impressive.
  12. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,164 Messages
    5,634 Likes Received
    Ugh I hate this line of thinking. If you want that Montana kid with 150 tackles, there's Caleb McSurdy for you. We need to target more starters from big programs.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,923 Messages
    9,009 Likes Received
    For the same reason I don't want Aaron Donald I also don't want Smith.

I covet versatility.
  14. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,699 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    I never know when you are serious. Donald epitomizes versatility. He has played 4-3 DE and DT. He has played 3-4 NT. And he has been a stud at every position. How much more versatile does he need to be? And Smith is being talked about fitting both SS or 4-3 WOLB. So, unless this saracasm, not getting it.