1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Widely varying opinions on Alex Okafor

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Dec 4, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,649 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    Draft scout loves him. 23 Alex Okafor DE 4 Texas Sr 6-5 265 1 they have him ranked as a top 25 player.

Other scouts apparently not so much. From this twitter conversation:

Josh Liskiewitz ‏@JoshLiskiewitz
    Okafor just seems so stiff to me - watching him vs. OK right now, & its got him into trouble vs. the run & dropping into zone coverage...
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

2h Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE
    @JoshLiskiewitz - I haven't graded him yet, but numerous scouts that cover Texas have told me they view him as a 5th to 7th round pick.
    Retweeted by Josh Liskiewitz
    Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
    RETWEET
    5:50 PM - 4 Dec 12 ยท Details
    Tweet textImage will appear as a link
    2h Josh Liskiewitz ‏@JoshLiskiewitz
    @RUSSLANDE that certainly jives w/ my initial impression.
    Expand
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,170 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    I've always felt that the longhorns' fans here over rated him and that it's likely he wouldn't be any better a pass rusher than Spencer (and worst every where else).

But 5th to 7th is a bit harsh. If he measures in at atleast 6'4, he'll be taken in round 3 at worse.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,658 Messages
    5,807 Likes Received
    His 1st step and burst are terrible, IMO.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    If he's there in the 5th round, I'd be all over him. Scouts didn't think much of Miller either and he's starting for one of the best defenses in the NFL. Same with Sam Acho really. He was taken in the 4th round and he's starting for the Cards.

I do think that fans, many times, over value their own teams players when it comes to draft stock but in the case of Texas, it also goes the other way.
  5. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,051 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Gosh that is a travesty if he goes in the 3rd round, I have watched four of their games and he is early 2nd material, I personally like Jeffcoat who was injured earlier in the year much better. I do not think either one is a hammer.
  6. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,170 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    stuff happens. if he runs a bit slower than expected or measures in a bit slower, he could easily go 3rd.

But I think he'll go mid second ish
  7. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    He has been hurt this season too. If you watch him earlier in the season he seems to have more quickness and burst. Maybe that's just competition, but its what i've noticed. I still have to go back and watch the horns games for more eval on him and Jeffcoat. At this point Jeffcoat looks like a one trick pony to me. Reminds me of Dwight Freeney.