1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Will Jenkins and a 4th Do It?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dantheman41, Apr 27, 2012.

1. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Can cowboys get back into 2nd with their first 4th rounder and Mike Jenkins? Or maybe add another mid rounder next year. 3rd or 4th next year.
  2. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,303 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Jenkins isn't going anywhere. Garrett and company said they like their cb depth now.
  3. ZBTHorton

ZBTHorton New Member

83 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't see any reason why Jenkins has any value right now. So, no.
  4. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,889 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Jenkins probably couldn't even clear a physical right now, he has one year left on his contract and his play is inconsistent at best. We'd be lucky to get a 7th for him
  5. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    That is probably right. We are going to get one more year as at the very least a way above average 3rd CB and then a comp pick for a relatively low salary, which is much more than we would get five hours from now in a trade.
  6. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,303 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    We might get a 4th for Felix Jones. Other than that, we'd have to trade next years picks to get a 2nd.
  7. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    We could bundle our 4th with next year's 2nd and be close.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,790 Messages
    5,198 Likes Received
    we need Jenkins. so many 3 and 4 wr sets now. plus i don't want scandrick anywhere near a starting role. play him this year and let him go at the end of season.

question is do we get a comp pick if he leaves?
  9. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Scandrick? He's under contract (and an above average slot guy). We would likely get a comp pick when Jenkins goes next year.
  10. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I don't get it. People were crying foul over our cb play and depth last season, and now that we've addressed it, some are complaining about moving up to get an elite corner in Claiborne and some want to trade Jenkins? Let's enjoy the talent and depth we have at the moment and worry about injuries and contracts when the time comes.
  11. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,067 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Well, considering Jenkins is recovering from an injury, and he's in the last year of his contract. Any trade would have to be sweetened with a couple of prime draft picks to entice a team. JJ has also previously stated, that current players have the least trade value during the draft, which is why it seldomly done.
  12. DEZBRYANT x88x

DEZBRYANT x88x Caps8Cowboys41

2,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When healthy, Jenkins is a great CB!! Maybe teams see that and want to jump in on him.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Considering Jenkins trade value is at an all time low, I would just keep him for no more than you'll get for him. If you're going to build this defense around the secondary, you better have some depth. Without Jenkins you're one injury from Scandrick starting and God knows who as your nickel CB.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,464 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
    this is perfect
    :bang2:

great defenses are built around great front 7's not "the secondary"

also, this is probably the last time someone will call a secondary with brodney poole and sensi as the core of the defense

since this is our intention lets spend the next 2 picks on safety and CB

this cowboy front office just does not learn

shakes head
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Were I am GM I'd be willing to give a r3 for Jenkins provided he passes a physical.

I get him one year for cheap as he plays for his big pay day so will be motivated. The r3 CBs in this draft are no where as physically gifted as Jenkins. And he has plenty of starting experience.

Next year I retain his rights so can either force a big offer from someone else, franchise him or simply extend him long term with a couple seasons of lowish cap hits. Not a bad deal really.

If I give up a 3 then return a 4 supplemental for a year rental at starting CB I could live with that result.

There are a lot of worse starting CBs.
    At the same time he hasn't shown he can physically handle every down play so you need to prepare for that and get him some rest. As a 2nd CB he has some value IMHO.

Trade ups have been coming at great values. Jenkins is not needed to count as a high draft pick in trade up just sweetener.

I'd check with the Rams and Browns for sure.
  16. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    Best value would probably to trade him 2-3 weeks into training camp when someone's starting corner goes down. I like having him this season as depth, but next April when he's on another team we'd be sitting there with another middle round pick.
  17. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I'd check with Detroit and Dever too. Denver needs a corner and is about to draft a defensive tackle and probably a developmental qb. They picked up extra picks in the Tebow trade and their late trade downs. They have a gob of cap room to sign him long term if they choose.