1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Will Your Favorite Player Be Available When The Cowboys Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Apr 4, 2014.

1. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,126 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    http://cover32.com/cowboys/2014/04/03/will-your-favorite-player-be-available-when-the-dallas-cowboys-pick/

Every year, I am curious as to which players the Cowboys are likely to have on the board when it’s time for them to pick in the first round. And this year, I think I found a unique way to visualize the likelihood that a player will be available to them. So here’s what I did. Using the fan-speak mock draft simulator, I ran the mock 20 times and each time I recorded the players that were available to the Dallas Cowboys at their selection. Now, the simulator isn’t perfect and there were a few times where a random 2nd-3rd round prospect popped up into the first round. Still, the chart below is a good indicator of just who may be available when the Cowboys are on the clock:

[IMG]

Read the rest of the notes and tidbits at: http://cover32.com/cowboys/2014/04/0...-cowboys-pick/
    theSHOW, FiveTime, BigStar and 6 others like this.
  2. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

250 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Thanks for sharing., definitely fun to look at. I may be crazy, but. Still feel like we come away with Donald.
    theSHOW likes this.
  3. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,686 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    Interesting. I love stuff like this.
    BigStar likes this.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,758 Messages
    5,912 Likes Received
    That's a lot of work on your part.

Kyle Van Noy was drafted before #16 40 percent of the time?

Can you do another one that does this with draft analysts? If you choose 10 draft analysts and only 1s pick a certain player before #16, then you could say that the player has a 90% chance of being available.
  5. NeonDeion21

2,126 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    I can. I did one earlier in January and wanted to do one more a little closer to the actual draft.

As for Van Noy, that really surprised me as well. Like I said in the post, it's just a fun exercise to look at, but I can't imagine a scenario where Van Noy goes in the top 15.
  6. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    After reading the OP, I find myself strongly attracted to the color green. :) Hopefully there aren't any Eagles fans who read that. :(
  7. NeonDeion21

2,126 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    They say the color green is the easiest on the eyes...
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,006 Messages
    7,751 Likes Received
    Well, look at it this way...there's a low likelihood any one of the reds will be there, but a 65% chance at least one of them will be. :)
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    It's impossible to predict how the draft will unfold, but, I still think there is at least a 50/50 chance we atempt to trade down.
  10. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Interesting analysis. Thank you for taking the time. Interesting that blue and green each have at least two players I want, while I wouldn't touch anyone in orange and purple. So, I guess if the draft fell close to that, I wouldn't mind all that much.
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Ra'Shede Hageman, Timmy Jernigan, or Kony Ealy would all be nice "consolation prizes" if Anthony Barr and Aaron Donald have already been selected.

I think for all three, though, we could move down to the bottom of the 1st round and still have a shot at one of the three. If not, select Xavier Su'a-Filo and get ready for pick #47.
    yentl911 likes this.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,564 Messages
    2,431 Likes Received
    Noticed that too. Somebody loves them some Van Noy.
  13. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
  14. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    If Donald is there I hope we don't get cute and trade down. Just pick the damn kid.

My favorite player in the draft - later rounds mind you - is Aaron Lynch. He is going to be a late round steal for someone.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,753 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    My favorite player in the draft is Khalil Mack, so no.
    Nation and BigStar like this.
  16. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,119 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Really cool info ND. Doesn't look good for my pet choices (Mack 5%, Barr 10%, Donald 15%, Pryor 40%) Surprised Dee Ford has risen so far @ only 75% chance of being available @ 16 when initially it looked like he could be had in a trade down. Yikes, it looks more like Martin/Mosley as the best choices. I don't like the DL available @ 16 (Jernigan, Ealy, Hageman) bc all three lack explosiveness. Cool stuff!
  17. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    not sure fan speak is a great predictor for this analysis. brandin cooks went number 1 in a mock i ran today.
    interesting nonetheless.
    barr is my guy that realistically could be there
    BigStar likes this.
  18. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,119 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Barr would be a great pick for the foundation of rebuilding the DL. Mack will be gone and Ford is rising. Edge rushers take priority (in my opinion).
    unionjack8 likes this.
  19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,252 Messages
    5,504 Likes Received
    Cooks went number one overall?

Can you let me know who these people are? I mean specific names and emails? I would like to organize a fantasy league with them.
    mcompact and Erik_H like this.
  20. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    on the fan speak website, my bad, didnt explain that very well