1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Window Tinting Laws

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by JonJon, Jan 25, 2013.

1. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Ok, so I'm looking to get my BMW 325i windows tinted. In South Carolina, the legal limit is 27% for all front sides, rear sides, and the back for sedans. I contacted the tint company about seeing exactly how dark the 27% really is. It wasn't very dark at all, and certainly not the darkness I was looking to achieve. I've seen minivans with darker tint than what I was allowed to get on my sedan. Turns out that SUV's and minivans, according to South Carolina law and also many other states, can apply any darkness to the back sides and rear as long as the front sides have the 27% limit.

Whaaaaaaat?

How in the world do SUV's and minivans get special treatment? This makes no sense to me whatsoever. Anyone have any knowledge of why this is or has experienced similar stories?
  2. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I'm not sure the exact % in AZ but I know the driver side window and passenger side have to be right around that 27%. The rear window and the rear sides can be as dark as you please here.

EDIT: just looked it up, in AZ, it is 33% on driver and passenger windows. Any % on anything else.

http://www.solargard.com/window-films/automotive/tint-laws
  3. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

661 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    VA is the same way. There is a limit to the front windows, but rear windows can have limo tint.
  4. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I guess I'll need to get my tags in another state. Anyone willing to let me use their address?

:tantrum:
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,514 Messages
    878 Likes Received
    MD law is 35%

From 16-25 I had 5 cars...all with 20% tint..some even lower..

Never got pulled over, a warning, nothing.

I wouldn't sweat it.
  6. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    I had pretty low percentage tint on my car and I was pulled over and given a ticket. Pretty sure that it is the same as others are saying, front sides are regulated the rest are anything.

Ironically the place where I was getting the tint done were actually servicing the police undercover cars at the same time as my illegal tint job.

The owner was talking to me about how they always get illegal tints on the undercover cars, and the police were actually there with my car too, funny stuff.
  7. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    How much was you ticket? I've talked to many that had illegal tint and never got a ticket and some that did. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. Also, when you got your ticket, did you get pulled for something else and just happened to get busted for illegal tint, or did he just pull you over for the tint and nothing else?
  8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The metro cops in Nashville are pretty anal about it here. I know several people who have been pulled over for excessive tinting. The cops just gave them warnings to get it removed.

Other smaller municipalities don't much care.
  9. Mountaineerfan

Mountaineerfan Active Member

141 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    One of the main reasons that officers are so anal about tint is it gets them in the door. In NC most of the time they dismiss the charge after you show them you removed the tint.
  10. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,406 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    It is 27% here in Colorado and I have had 15% sides and back and 50% on the windshield on mine for 3 years now with out any issues.
  11. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

785 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Dude

Back side of SUV's and minivans are used to make out and sex. Give it a break. :)
  12. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
  13. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Well, in New York when I get pulled over for over tinting I get a kick out of the cop who pulls me over and his tint is darker than mine. Go figure. :confused:
  14. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,711 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    All if my friends when I was younger slapped illegal tint on their cars all of the time. They'd either roll down the windows if they saw a cop or take the chance. They had money and would willingly pay the ticket if they got one
  15. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,964 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Cops are anal about it because of visibility.... Try making a traffic stop in the middle of the night.As you approach the car you are doing everything you can to see if there is a threat to you in the car....The tint makes it very hard to see and makes the officer at a severe disadvantage...
  16. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Good.
  17. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I understand that. But they are using the "Tint" as a reason to pull you over to try to find other violations.
  18. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    The start of the window tint craze:
    [IMG]
  19. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,964 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    But that is not any different then using any violation to make a stop. You can follow someone for a very short time and find a reason to do a traffic stop...I roll down front and back windows when I am stopped so the officer can see in. Courtesy to him and shows him I 'm not a threat ....Most officers will recognize what you did and it might buy you some good will.
  20. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I get it and I'm not debating the safety value to the cops at all. What I am saying is that they use that specifically to look for other violations. That's why I said they are anal about it.