1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Windows 8

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Rackat, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I do not like this OS. I bought a laptop for my daughter and it came already installed. The Admin tools are less user friendly than the old ones. The interface is "pretty", but again, not real user friendly. I'll just wait for her to figure everything out and then teach me how to use it. LOL
  2. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,983 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    it looks like a hot mess
  3. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,565 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    [youtube]WTYet-qf1jo[/youtube]
  4. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    My advice to everybody is unless your computer has a touchscreen, you will be lot happier with Windows 7....pulling out the Start Button in Windows 8 is IMHO a big mistake.
  5. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,235 Messages
    1,200 Likes Received
    Yep. It's really for touchscreen.

Start button is not needed because you do the "box thing"
  6. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,599 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I think what he was communicating is the "box thing" is not needed because we had the start button that worked perfectly of decades. :D

After watching that video, I won't touch Win 8 with a ten foot pole, ever.
  7. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,390 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    windows 8 sucks donkey balls and will go down as worse than vista.

it's a computer/consumer OS trying to be everything on a phone.

and the interface is horrible. it's like watching the partridge familys bus crash into hollywood squares.
  8. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,565 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    You guys really should watch the video review I posted
  9. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,310 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    I disliked it from the moment I first saw it. I had a wi8ndows phone and dislike the tiles.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,286 Messages
    4,602 Likes Received
    That is so funny because it is so spot on.
  11. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just watched it. Spot on analysis. :banghead:
  12. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

783 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Oh boy

I need to buy a new laptop to use Office. I hope they still have Windows 7 loaded laptops around. This freaked me out.
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    I'm also a bit frustrated with windows 8, but that dude in the video needed to do some homework before jumping in to it.

He obviously had no idea about a lot of the features in this OS or how to use them.

I've been using windows 8 for about 2 months now and once I got the hang of it it wasn't a problem anymore.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Can't you hit one button and have the traditional desktop view?
  15. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    It is a little more difficult to get around. I honestly rarely use the start screen.

What I find most difficult is to get to the control panel, you have to go tot he side, search, and type in control panel and it will come up. So I finally just put a shortcut on my desktop.

Other than that, I think it runs a heckuva lot smoother than 7. No touchscreen here either.
  16. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,863 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I think you missed his point (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with him, just pointing this out). He was complaining that Windows 8 was not intuitive. I have had both non-tech and tech friends tell me the same thing including a tech friend who is a huge Microsoft fan.

That said, the one thing I wonder is if Windows 8 is confusing and not intuitive due to poor UI/UX design or are users of previous Windows iterations simply locked into doing things a certain way and even when trying to use/learn Windows 8 they are still using the logic and thought process etched into their minds by those older Windows releases?

/reality
  17. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Windows 8 is great on a tablet from what I have seen and played with so far very limited at this point. Devices with touch screens etc are great with Win8 but on a regular laptop and desktop it is not as friendly.

The worse part is server 2012 has some of the same unfriendly menus and servers are not going to be touch screen anytime soon.
  18. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,446 Messages
    6,006 Likes Received
    yes you can but you still need navigate to the tile view for certain things. this is a very big jump from windows 7 and a risky move by microsoft. i can't see elder people liking this os at all.
  19. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

:laugh2:

Pretenders bust me up. You cannot 1 click to desktop view.

How are you disabling "metro" with 1 button click?
  20. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,286 Messages
    4,602 Likes Received
    I only messed with windows 8 once.

My wife's friend had a laptop with win7 on it and bought a copy of win8. She had trouble installing it so I did it for her.

Had to uninstall a program or two before win 8 would install.

After that it installed without a problem.

Once the tiles came up I clicked ONCE on the tile that said Desktop and it took me straight to the desktop view.

The version she bought was the home and not the pro (I guess they still have a Pro version like others did).

So I don't know if the Pro version is different but you can indeed click once to go to desktop view. However beyond that I don't have a clue as I just looked at a couple of things and then turned the computer off so the wife could take it to her friend.