1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Windows Pinball

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Anyone play it? Used to play it? It was a pretty good game, but many of you probably have noticed that the last Windows OS it appeared in was Windows XP and there was no reason given why. Well, there is one now. Raymond Chen from Microsoft posted to his blog about it.

Original Post.

Windows XP was the last client version of Windows to include the Pinball game that had been part of Windows since Windows 95. There is apparently speculation that this was done for legal reasons.

No, that's not why.

One of the things I did in Windows XP was port several millions of lines of code from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows so that we could ship Windows XP 64-bit Edition. But one of the programs that ran into trouble was Pinball. The 64-bit version of Pinball had a pretty nasty bug where the ball would simply pass through other objects like a ghost. In particular, when you started the game, the ball would be delivered to the launcher, and then it would slowly fall towards the bottom of the screen, through the plunger, and out the bottom of the table.

Games tended to be really short.

Two of us tried to debug the program to figure out what was going on, but given that this was code written several years earlier by an outside company, and that nobody at Microsoft ever understood how the code worked (much less still understood it), and that most of the code was completely uncommented, we simply couldn't figure out why the collision detector was not working. Heck, we couldn't even find the collision detector!

We had several million lines of code still to port, so we couldn't afford to spend days studying the code trying to figure out what obscure floating point rounding error was causing collision detection to fail. We just made the executive decision right there to drop Pinball from the product.

If it makes you feel better, I am saddened by this as much as you are. I really enjoyed playing that game. It was the location of the one Windows XP feature I am most proud of.

Update: Hey everybody asking that the source code be released: The source code was licensed from another company. If you want the source code, you have to go ask them.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,461 Messages
    575 Likes Received
    Wonder what the source code was even written in?

But yeah, whoever the company is that holds the rights to that, if they were to release it to open source, that would be great. It would be working in 64-bit before the next day was done.
  3. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,454 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    You're welcome: http://mspinball.weebly.com/ | http://mspinball.weebly.com/download.html

"Microsoft Windows Pinbal, or 3D Space Cadet Pinball was introduced in Microsoft Plus 95, it then became so popular that it was included in Microsoft Windows NT 4 by default. Microsoft then provided instructions to install it form the Plus 95 CD into Windows 98, it was also included with ME, 2000 and XP. Unfortunately, Microsoft Pinball died a slow and painful death with the release of Windows Vista, or did it?

Today I have succesfully ported over all of the files of Microsoft Pinball for Windows XP to Windows Vista And 7 and it is fully functional, below you can see the screenshot of pinball running in Windows 7 and the about box, this is not photoshoped, this is the real deal!"
  4. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    It looks a bit grainy and the ball sometimes moves so fast that you can't see it on the screen. Definitely not a clean port, but it does work.
  5. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    If you have an Android device, there is a pinball game called Pinball Classic that pretty much is a knockoff of the Windows Pinball, but the colors of the table are different. It plays just like it almost. Definitely a good pickup.

Pinball Classic @ Google Play

[IMG]
  6. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    dumb question, is pinball dead?
  7. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I didn't realize you could kill pinball since it isn't a living breathing thing. ;)

That said, I don't know of any open arcades anymore except places like Chuckie Cheese or something, but they don't even have those here. I don't see arcade games in movie theaters anymore either. So, I suppose at least up here they are. Maybe bowling alleys still have them.

Pinball is an all time classic though. I believe they still have pinball championships. Its still one of if not my all time favorite arcade game.
  8. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    do plants breathe? moss?
  9. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yes, they take in carbon dioxide and let out oxygen
  10. Phoenix

5,461 Messages
    575 Likes Received
    Dive bars still have them :)
  11. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    well now we know where you have been.
  12. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    theres always one, touche.
  13. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
  14. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,599 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Ask Roger Daltry. If he's unsure, ask John Galt.
  15. Phoenix

5,461 Messages
    575 Likes Received
    Hey, SOMEBODY has to prop up America's economy.
  16. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Pinball machines are still around. Saw a few in VA Beach this summer (At an actual arcade).

They are going by the wayside the same way the kiddie rides at the grocery store however.

I would buy one, but I don't have the room in my game room, or man cave.

Probably more difficult to maintain considering they are becoming obsolete though.
  17. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    cant argue that. lol
  18. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Galt i get, Daltry not so much.
  19. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    thats sad, i remember when companies took pride in the really good ones.
  20. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    [youtube]4AKbUm8GrbM[/youtube]