With Costa gone, name G/C prospects

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by MonsterD, Mar 1, 2014.

1. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I disagree but decided to give you some love.
  2. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

29,971 Messages
    5,619 Likes Received
    Everybody wants to cut this guy, cut that guy, but nobody wants to face the consequences of "okay, now what?"
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Yes, in most cases there is no gain to cutting a player at this time of year unless he has a really high salary like Ware.

Last year they tendered McCray at around 1.5M and carried that though training camp. At the end of training camp they gave him the option to be cut or take the veterans minimum which was about 700k.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

29,971 Messages
    5,619 Likes Received
    I could see a similar situation for Costa as well, particularly after the draft and free agency.

But $1.5M is hardly something that would jump out to me and scream "omg, we gotta cut this guy." Particularly when your other backup Center is currently pegged as the starting Right Guard.

But you know what? Cut him! Who cares who then backs up the RG!?
  5. xwalker

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    The dumbest ones are the posts that want to cut players like Jeff Heath. At 495K, cutting him would have no effect on the cap due to the rule of 51. They have to field a 90 man roster prior to training camp and this guy started multiple games in 2013. Yes, he was not very good, but he is much further along than whoever ever ends up as the 90th best player on the roster.

After training camp is the time to cut most fringe players, not in March.
    dogberry and casmith07 like this.
  6. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,964 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    Best. Lineman Name. Ever.
    theSHOW likes this.
  7. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

4,048 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    Your point about fringe players is on the money. Costa is a bit different. Even after adding a salary back in you are clearing a million. He is strictly a center.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

40,291 Messages
    18,603 Likes Received
    They actually don't mind that. It's just another excuse to complain about how ineptly the team is managed if we cut players capable of giving us snaps.

And, in any event, it's easier than acknowledging players actually do get better when they get some snaps and that we're fortunate when UDFA stick, if only in a backup capacity and only for four seasons, or whatever.
    casmith07 likes this.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

40,291 Messages
    18,603 Likes Received
    He is, and, with his contract, that makes him a liability until somebody's starter gets hurt. I thought we might have tried to trade him to Denver last year when they were looking. At that point, we had Mack and Waters both capable of playing RG, IIRC, though that didn't last very long.
  10. xwalker

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    They did try to trade Costa during the season according to the local media. It was in the time-frame just before they cut Arkin. I guess that Arkin would have been the primary backup if Costa was traded.
  11. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

5,628 Messages
    2,700 Likes Received
    Marcus Martin, only 20, would have been a steal in the middle rounds but he is supposedly flying up draft charts. I've always liked Utah State's Tyler Larsen (a friend of mine coached him in high school) but drafting Travis Frederick kind of makes Larsen a waste, he will start for someone within a few years,
  12. xwalker

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Wait till his brother Bull is ready for the draft.
    Kaiser likes this.