1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

With LA gone, can Dallas make a showing with the screen pass game...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Big Country, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Big Country

Big Country Rolling Thunder

3,716 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I was always hoping Dallas could fix the running game with LA still here, because he represented the present style of the POWER running game with huge guys in the middle crushing the opposing defensive tackles. Problem was, we don't have a FB lead blocker and I think that was really missing.

We still don't have a true lead blocker and BP kind of likes the Richie Anderson type FB, which is kind of a hybrid playmaker, usually well versed in the screen and always dangerous catching passes out of the backfield.
    Now with LA outta here, and with Kosier and Fabini in the mix, and with Johnson still at C and Rivera well versed with that style being from GB, can Dallas finally make a showing at the screen game to throw off the bull rush up the middle???

Thoughts?
  2. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,914 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    everytime we attempt a screen pass I die a little inside.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I think we will see Dallas working more on screens and outside runs with OL who are a bit more mobil
  4. jbsg02

jbsg02 Active Member

1,719 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    hahaha :D
  5. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,167 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    You do make a point...I don't remember, at any time, having success with screen passes to LA.
  6. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

854 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I think only 2-3 teams traditionally run it well enough to make it a staple play.

What ever happened to the good ol' pass to the running back in the flat? In his heydey, Emmitt was an automatic 5-6 yards...
  7. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    That last good screen we ran was a killer though.

Yep, I remember the look on Landry's face on the sideline.
  8. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,914 Messages
    27 Likes Received

:laugh2:
  9. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    You and me both.

JJ should have just started dropping them.
  10. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, the man was ecstatic (he never could control his emotions) :rolleyes: ....here's the picture

[IMG]
  11. Paniolo22

Paniolo22 Hawaiian Cowboy

3,623 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I haven't seen Allen pull out on a screen in 8 years so he wasn't the screen problem.
  12. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Dallas has ran screen to Larry side and he is unable to get outside to make the blocks. I loved having Larry on this team for all these years but keeping high priced playter who are not playing very well is part of why Dallas went into cap hell and Dallas can't continue paying players for past greatness.
  13. Da Hammer

Da Hammer The Natural

10,604 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: we have got to be one of the worst teams in history at using the screen. it was quite pathetic
  14. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    We have been, there was a time we were one of the best at running screens. I think it is something the team needs to continue working on and hopefully improve on because it can be a great play aginst overly aggessive defenses.
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,463 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    I hope you werent watching us in the seventies or youd be dead.
  16. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

854 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    :laugh1:
  17. royhitshard

royhitshard New Member

945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh1: :lmao: :lmao2:
  18. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    The original question is an excellent one. I hope thatt the screen is somehting that's worked on with the possibility of more mobility in the line> The screen properly executed would compliment Julius' strengths very well. He's a very good open field runner and has pretty good vision. If he could get atleast the first two initial blocks executed this play could be a guaranteed 7-8 yards everytime it's run (as long as it's used smartly). Great post!

SS
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,427 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    but then this board would be crying for barber...:bang2: