1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

With the 14th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the cowboys...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dantheman41, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,727 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    If he has good combine/pro day numbers, and cements himself as one of the top 2-3 pass rushers in the draft, I have a hard time seeing him still there.
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I like it.

I just don't see any draft pick coming in and being a major upgrade with the exception of Decastro. I think he would see solid out the gate, like Tyron.

Ryan's defense is such that it would take time for rookies to learn. It might be too much to expect for them to make the transition to the NFL and learn such a system in so short a time.

If there was a DWare type player on the defensive side that we had a reasonable shot at, sure, pull the trigger, but unfortunately there is not. I think the best defensive player we will see might very well be Jenkins. I don't know if he could step in and make as big an impact as a Decastro would. Especially while trying to maintain sobriety.

Decastro gives us a solid player that helps right away. As much as I would like Nicks or Grubbs (still sounds like bait to me) I don't believe either will be available and that we can't afford them anyway.

Carr and Wells would be the two I would like to see in FA and take Decastro in the first. Then spend the rest of the draft on LB, CB, SS. We will also need a TE if Marty leaves.
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,564 Messages
    2,940 Likes Received
    The pick is going to be DeCastro or a trade down to garner more value out of this draft. In my opinion, take it with a grain of salt, just my thoughts on the matter.

Did I get enough caveats in there?
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I agree . It will take more than one offseason to fix this team . I think we will see improvement , but it is no need for posters to think that this is a quick fix .
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I just can't see this organization using a 1st rounder on a guard, especially a high one.

We needed a guard last year too, but passed some good ones over in the first 3 rounds and didn't grab one until the 4th. This org. clearly values the skill-type positions over interior lineman. I think it's more likely we grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th again. Zeitler makes a lot of sense for us.

I think we'll grab a CB in round one. Unless we get a FA CB, in which case, I think we're looking at LB.

I'm gonna guess Kirkpatrick or Hightower will be our pick in the first.
  6. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Someone is going to use a high pick on Decastro because he is that dominant. Guard, for us, is a huge need. I just don't see why the best guard is not worth a #14.
  7. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    That would be horrible.
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Well, he probably is worth a 14.

But I just can't see it happening.

This team signed Derrick Dockery and Montrae Holland and played a 7th round draft pick at G when everyone and their mom knew we needed a G.

Take that into consideration along with Jerry talking up Callahan, and I just don't see us taking a G in the first round.