1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Witness: Bin Laden 'Happy' with 9/11 death toll

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ConcordCowboy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Witness: Bin Laden 'Happy' with 9/11 death toll

Gitmo trial told that al-Qaida leader only expected 1,500 to die in attacks

[IMG]
    Salim Hamdan, shown in this undated photo, is charged with conspiracy and aiding terrorism.

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba - Osama bin Laden's driver overheard the al-Qaida leader saying he was happy about the death toll in the September 11 attacks and thought the hijacked plane that crashed in Pennsylvania was shot down, according to one of the driver's interrogators.

The evidence by Ali Soufan, a former FBI agent, was meant to support the case by prosecutors at the Guantanamo Bay war crimes tribunal that the driver, Salim Hamdan, was close to al-Qaida's leadership.

Hamdan, a Yemeni father of two with a fourth-grade education, is the first Guantanamo prisoner to face trial before the controversial tribunal at the remote base on Cuba. He faces life in prison if convicted.

"Bin Laden was happy about the results and he (Hamdan) heard bin Laden say he didn't expect the operation to be that successful," said Ali Soufan, a former FBI agent. "He only thought 1,000 to 1,500 people would perish so he was happy with the results."

Soufan also said Hamdan told him about a conversation he overheard when he was driving bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, after the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

White House targeted?
    The two men were looking at a magazine which described the flight routes of the September 11 hijacked planes, Soufan said.

"If they didn't shoot that fourth plane it would have hit the dome," Soufan said bin Laden told Zawahiri, according to Hamdan's account.

"I assumed ('the dome' meant) either Congress or the White House," Soufan said. "Hamdan said he did not know what they mean by the dome."

United Airlines Flight 93 crashed in a Pennsylvania field. U.S. officials have never said it was shot down but there was speculation about the issue at the time.

'Affinity'

Describing the relationship between the driver and the al-Qaida leader, Soufan said bin Laden had given Hamdan some marriage advice, suggesting he go back to Yemen and find a women from a "pious religious family," and when Hamdan returned with a wife, bin Laden held a feast in celebration.

"It shows a close relationship, an affinity," he said.

Hamdan is being tried in a court for terrorism suspects created by the Bush administration after the September 11 attacks. His innocence or guilt will be decided by a jury of U.S. military officers who are fighting the war on terrorism.

The tribunal system has been loudly criticized as unfair by human rights groups and defense lawyers.

Prosecutors have portrayed Hamdan as a driver and bodyguard for the fugitive al-Qaida leader who had access to the Islamic militant group's inner circle. Defense lawyers say he was just a hired hand who never joined al-Qaida.

On the third day of trial, Soufan, a prosecution witness who interrogated Hamdan, said bin Laden knew the September 11 hijackers and spoke highly of them.

"He praised them and their courage and he asked God to accept them as martyrs," Soufan told the six-member jury.

Hamdan was able to identify some of the top al-Qaida leaders in photographs and a suicide bomber who struck the guided missile destroyer USS Cole in Yemen in 2000.

Prosecutors showed jurors a series of videos and pictures. Soufan identified bin Laden and Hamdan standing together.

In one, Hamdan was carrying a machine gun.

"Who gets to be that close to Osama bin Laden?" prosecutor John Murphy asked.

"People he trusts ... with his life, it appears," Soufan said.

The trial is expected to take three to four weeks. The U.S. says it plans to prosecute about 80 prisoners at Guantanamo.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25801536/
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,110 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    What do we care what he thinks, he is no longer a priority and we just don't spend much time thinking about him...in other words we don't care one way or the other about OBL.
  3. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received

[IMG][IMG]

Lets get this Frickin Guy already!
  4. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He may no longer be a priority, but the SOB has not be forgotten, I believe all Americans would still love for one our drones to take his cave dwelling a-- out.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

61,110 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    Now DARNIT.

W said he is no longer a priority and he does not worry him and that was less than a year after he attacked us. No if we can't trust W's opinion, who's opinion can we trust.

/sarcasm off.

Believe me I want this guy caught and killed. We should have had him a long time ago before we turned to Iraq.
  6. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I think I read recenty W, has stepped up intel in trying to find this SOB, for a final role call of his presidency.
    I'm all for the big bang theory.
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bin Laden's merchants of death will continue their mischief well after he's gone. Ford Motor Company didn't go out of business after the old man died, and neither will Al Qaeda. His capture, while emotionally satisfying, would largely be symbolic.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

61,110 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    You know it was funny because about a month back there was a story I saw that was linked to some site that I had never heard of. Can not even remember it now.

Anyways they said he wanted to go back and get OBL in order to help his "legacy". Now this was a good 2 weeks before people started talking about moving from Iraq and back over there. I was pretty POed that this guy only wanted to do this for that reason, but then figured...nah they are not considering moving back more troops at all.

Then bang we start hearing more talk about it so maybe it is true.

I still get POed thinking about it.

Sure I want the guy but don't wait all this time and then turn around and say he is a priority again.

He should have been, and stayed, priority #1 all along untill we got him or completely obliterated AQ and the Taliban over there before we even THOUGHT of going to Iraq.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Well at least in the meantime we have dealt some big blows to al-Qaida and while I would like to get bin Laden, hammering his organization is more important at least in my opinion. We can take him out tomorrow but in the end it will not change this war on terror so while I would like to see him fall I don't think you put all resources to find 1 man.
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Hit the Nail on the frickin Head!
  11. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We'll it appears we both read the same article, will at this point let's finish up in Iraq, and then pursue those extremist along with our Nato allies, into goat country in Pakistan. It appears Barack has this intention.
  12. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,026 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    [IMG]

I sense something? A mock outrage I haven't felt since .......
  13. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received

The merchants of death are not as popualr as they once were in the Arab world, and cutting off the head of the serpent, definitely will ease the bite of this snake. Payback is a bit-h.
  14. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did the mob go out of business when Capone went to the Big House? Did things stop blowing up in Iraq when Saddam and his sons were exterminated?
  15. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I agree, Al Qaeda did themselves no favor by their violent action against other Muslims and in the meantime Al Qaeda ability to carry out terrorist attacks has been greatly diminished.
  16. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First the mob is not ideology, it's capitalism at it's best, just joking, Now I ask you did the Sunni's turn against al Qaeda in Iraq and Why? It appears that the turn out for signing up with Al-Queda is dwindling in the Arab world as the masses see the extremism of this group. The indiscriminate Arab deaths caused by these nuts is not helping their cause, can their idealogy be defeated? I don't know, but I believe a free and successful Iraq could be a stepping stone for a dramatic change, only time will tell.
  17. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Peter Bergen, author of the book The Osama bin Laden I Know, tells Aljazeera.net that Osama bin Laden's tapes are a sure way of tracking down the location of the elusive al-Qaida leader.

After five years on the run, theories on the whereabouts of Bin Laden are as common as speculation about his alleged health complications.
    Some analysts say he is living in a cave, wired up to a dialysis machine, while others say he is dead.

Recently, he released his first audiotape in over a year confirming he is alive and active.

Bergen, a terrorism analyst and an expert on al-Qaida, who interviewed Bin Laden in Afghanistan in March 1997, is among a handful of Western journalists to have ever spoken to him.

His latest book is based on a series of interviews with family members, former teachers, friends and al-Qaida members. Aljazeera.net interviewed him in New York.

Do you think Osama Bin Laden is capable of another attack on the US?
    I think his ability to attack the US has been greatly diminished over time. If you look at the 9/11 attacks, it involved people in Germany, people in Afghanistan, it involved money from the United Arab Emirates to pay for the plot, and also recruiting people from around the Middle East. It all took place inside the United States. That kind of plan is currently too complicated for al-Qaida which is split into constituent parts.

Can they try and kill Pakistan's President Musharraf as they did twice in 2003? Yes.

Can they attempt to man an operation in London as they did in July 2005? Yes.

Can al-Qaida in Iraq recruit Europeans such as the Belgium female suicide bomber? These things, yes, but attacking the US is much harder than it used to be.

Basically the war on terrorism has shifted to Europe.
    Why hasn't the US been able to catch the "world's most wanted man"?
    Did the Pentagon let him slip away in 2001 in Tora Bora?

It's a problem finding one person. I'm not remotely surprised that they have not found him yet. Tora Bora in 2001 was a missed opportunity. The Americans made a big mistake.
    And that's the one time he was in there. Since then, why we haven't found him is that the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan is 15,000 miles long. It's the same distance between New York and London. It's a big place. Plus he's obviously not making mistakes, not talking on his satellite phone, not talking on his cellphone.
    The people around him are not motivated by money: the cash reward [$25 million for information leading to his capture] is not going to be picked up by somebody in his immediate circle.
    So it could take four years or 14 years to find him. They will eventually catch him by the law of averages. He is a human being and human beings make mistakes.
    He'll eventually make a mistake. He's in a very interesting Catch-22 right now. Every time either he or Zawahiri release a videotape or an audiotape, it means that it might help reveal their location. The most recent tape that was released was the 35th tape since 9/11. It's a lot of tapes, one every six weeks on average.
    So if they release the tape they remain in the game because the tapes give broad ideological guidance to jihadists around the world. If they stop releasing the tapes, they will just fade into obscurity. So releasing the tapes opens them up to the possibility of detection. I think the reason Zawahiri was attacked a few weeks ago in that house was because he's been releasing so many tapes recently, that may have led to some information.
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think you're missing my point. Lefties like to ***** about us not getting Bin Laden, as if his capture would make AQ or the threat of global terrorism go away. It wouldn't. AQ is decentralized and built to last. It's designed to survive the loss of Bin Laden and any number of his acolytes. Even if they're pissing off fellow Muslims in the Middle East, it only takes 10 or less committed followers to do a lot of damage in the West--as evidenced by the subway bombings in London. Combine this with a lot of bored, "disaffected" Muslim youths who see themselves as Muslims first and citizens second, and you have quite the toxic stew.
  19. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received

BB, I get you now, hell it's not only Muslims we had a recent situation here in the States the Oklahoma bombing, Timothy McVeigh, I don't believe, there is much that can be done except for people to be more aware.
    We live in a different world today from one I grew up in.
  20. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    That's because most people think Al-Qaeda is like some pyramid structure. Its not.

Like you said, its very decentralized.