1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Witten article

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dbair1967, May 21, 2004.

1. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    www.thedailytimes.com/sit...tml/163860

Witten makes appearance in Maryville

2004-05-16
    by Leonard Butts
    of The Daily Times Staff

Jason Witten wasn't wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey on Saturday during his appearance in Maryville at Back Yard Burgers.

The East Tennessee native knows University of Tennessee football fans made him one of their favorite players during his three years as a Volunteer, and Witten wasn't about to let them down by wearing anything other than his orange UT jersey with the numeral 1 at the ``meet and greet'' session.

Although he's only been gone for a year, Witten said he likes the idea of coming home once in a while to let fans know he won't forget their loyalty to him.

``You miss (the attention),'' he said. ``But just to come back and to be able to give back a little bit to the community is always good for me. It's something I'm trying to establish in Dallas, too, but it's always good to be back here in East Tennessee.''

Expecting to be a first-round pick at tight end last spring, Witten was disappointed at not going until the third round, but under newly-hired head coach Bill Parcells in Dallas last season, Witten made a point of showing everyone he was NFL caliber material.

He had 35 catches for 347 yards for the Cowboys, despite suffering a broken jaw, and Parcells has said he would like to expand Witten's role in the offense.

That's just fine with the 6-foot-5, 265-pound Elizabethton product, who likes a challenge and says he enjoyed the grind of training camp last summer.

``It was a neat experience. It was just everybody going out and doing the best they could,'' Witten said.

``The toughest thing was coach Parcells because we didn't really know what he was going to be like. But that's where you respect the guy. He treated everyone the same. It didn't matter who you were, (All-Pro lineman) Larry Allen or a rookie free agent.''

Witten says the preseason games wearing a different uniform were fun, but he knew it was going to require a special effort to take the field in Dallas' opener against Atlanta.

``The biggest thing was to step up,'' he said. ``It was exciting, of course, kind of like my first game at Neyland Stadium. I just really want to build on this past year and take it to next year.''

Although he caught only one touchdown pass this season, there's likely little that will top the feeling.

``I was mad it took so long for me to get that, but there's nothing like the first touchdown in the NFL," he said, then added "if we had a QB who could throw a stinking straight pass more often than not I'd have caught more TD's"

Witten added that it wont be long before Drew Henson replaces Mr.Carter as the teams QB. "It's a change we're all looking forward to"

Most players say the major difference between the college game and the NFL is speed, and Witten agrees that it's a major adjustment, but he also thinks having a chance to focus solely on football is the biggest change he has experienced in making the transition from UT to the NFL.

``You're not in college and you're not going to class and trying to play football too,'' he said. ``There's not a split personality. It's all football, whether it's good or bad, and I think you really become a better player and person but at the same time, you've got to give a lot to the game.

``The other thing is they judge you pretty good, you know, on if you win and how you play. That was tough (getting used to).''

Tennessee's recent disappointing draft experience reminded Witten of his own misgivings about declaring early.

``There were a couple times when I wished I could be out there (with UT teammates) -- when they were beating Miami, that was one of those great moments,'' he said.

But he goes on to say there is nothing to be gained by fretting over what might have been, and his advice to UT players who were disappointed with this year's draft is to make the most of what opportunities they have.

``I hate to see some of those guys didn't get drafted but I think they can build from that and learn from it and go and make a team (as free agents),'' he said.
  2. chargrove

chargrove Member

598 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I sense this article has been embellished from it's original format. :cool:
  3. 77Cowboy

77Cowboy Member

290 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ``I was mad it took so long for me to get that, but there's nothing like the first touchdown in the NFL," he said, then added "if we had a QB who could throw a stinking straight pass more often than not I'd have caught more TD's"

Witten added that it wont be long before Drew Henson replaces Mr.Carter as the teams QB. "It's a change we're all looking forward to"

YIKES, tell it like it is Brother! :D
  4. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    turned a good article to poo.

I'm no Q backer, but that ain't cool.
  5. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    nooooooo...it hasnt...not at all

:D

David
  6. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  7. thevinegarsting

thevinegarsting New Member

43 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he really wouldnt say that would he???
    if so, then he's not nearly as cool as I thought he was
  8. thor_01

thor_01 New Member

451 Messages
    0 Likes Received

in providing a non working link it did make me have to work a little harder to find the story, but there it was in the archive of the newpaper, and indeed there has been some, not only tampering, but just down right b.s., now don't get me wrong i am not a q supporter and would not have been upset if witten had made the remark. but it bothers me greatly to have a poster defraud me.........

here in fact is the exact and correct exerp from that article:

"`The toughest thing was coach Parcells because we didn't really know what he was going to be like. But that's where you respect the guy. He treated everyone the same. It didn't matter who you were, (All-Pro lineman) Larry Allen or a rookie free agent.''

Witten says the preseason games wearing a different uniform were fun, but he knew it was going to require a special effort to take the field in Dallas' opener against Atlanta.

``The biggest thing was to step up,'' he said. ``It was exciting, of course, kind of like my first game at Neyland Stadium. I just really want to build on this past year and take it to next year.''

Although he caught only one touchdown pass this season, there's likely little that will top the feeling.

``I was mad it took so long for me to get that, but there's nothing like the first touchdown in the NFL,'' he said.

Most players say the major difference between the college game and the NFL is speed, and Witten agrees that it's a major adjustment, but he also thinks having a chance to focus solely on football is the biggest change he has experienced in making the transition from UT to the NFL."

now don't you feel a little foolish with your pants around your ankles like that,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????
  9. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Active Member

533 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Guys, come on... I was fooled at first but no way that is legit. Someone either made the whole thing up or added their own 'agenda' to the article.

Kindof uncool, but you have to give whoever did it props... it was seamless!
  10. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think you have the wrong daily times...look at the front page and most of the content: " A New voice for a new Pakistan"

doubtful they know much about Jason Witten

David
  11. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Wow... some of you guys are drinking way too much coffee.
    It was a funny, OBVIOUS, alteration to the article. If you see malice in that - you need to chill out a little bit.
  12. thor_01

thor_01 New Member

451 Messages
    0 Likes Received

no actually you have to go to the front page and utilize their search engine to find the actual article in their archive, before this fake b.s. was added to it by dbair and posted as real.
  13. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    glad at least one person saw it for what it was...just something to laugh at...

some of you others definitely need to chill

David
  14. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the link I had at the top of my original post didnt work, but this one should I think:

http://www.thedailytimes.com/sited/story/html/163860

David
  15. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,390 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yeah, i dont believe he said that about QC.
  16. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think what is upseting is that a good article about Witten was ruined with some junk about Q.

That stuff really is funny anymore after reading it for months, and months, and ...

Maybe it is not that some of us need to chill, but that some of us need to grow up. :)
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,271 Likes Received
    It was an old article...I remember reading it before.

However it is Not funny or cool to do something like that just to rip on the QB and to start a flame thread.

This thread is being closed.