1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Witten closing in on NFL record

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by The Quest for Six, Dec 21, 2012.

1. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,963 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    Jason Witten is closing in on an NFL record for receptions by a tightend for a season.....For a guy who a lot of people thought lost a step or wasn't the same player he used to be has really put together a great season after starting the season off missing a month of preseason with a serious injury and gutting it out for the first two games before he was fully healthy....I hope the Cowboys go to Witten early and often this Sunday and breaks the NFL record at home....He just needs six catches....Just wish the cowboys had more players like Jason Witten, the guy is class on and off the field..

Rec Player Team Year
    102 Tony Gonzalez KC 2004
    100 Dallas Clark IND 2009
    99 Tony Gonzalez KC 2007
    99 Jimmy Graham NO 2011
    97 Jason Witten DA L2012
    96 Ben Coates NE 1994
    96 Tony Gonzalez KC 2008
  2. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,800 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I hope he does break it ill be there too witness it, it be great!
  3. BigD

BigD Got 5? We do!

510 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    He very well may break it Sunday.
  4. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Tony Gonzalez is on that list three times. Outstanding.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    And since he is currently sitting at 87 receptions this season he may be on it again by the end of the season. And Witten already has a season with 96 receptions, so he should be on that list twice.
  6. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Amazing. There's not a single question who the two best tight ends in NFL history are. Both class acts. Future Hall of Famers. And to think, one of them is ours.
  7. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    7 catches will also give Witten 800 for his career.
  8. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    with everyone that JW is the MAN....he and Gonzalez are pretty much the best modern day tight ends.(I watched the ATL/Giants game on sunday and the man plays like he's 28....not 38: he's a FREAK) We could get into historical arguments and start listing some of the greats like Winslow, Bavaro, Dupree, Clark, etc....however it's hard to say who is the best due to the ridiculous shift in rules the NFL has encouraged to pump up the passing game.

Shifting gears, I'm AWFULLY EXCITED about Hanna going forward. I think we have a great situation at tight end the next 4 years barring injury boys: Witten should be good for 60-90 catches per year: he doesn't need to be fast or quick cause his routes are some of the best EVER run at that position. Hanna is a hybrid and is a clear #2 now: he should get 3-5 passes per game IMO. Phillips is a sound blocker, special teamer and goal line presence. He should be 3rd string the next few years and a darn good one in case either JW or Hanna get hurt: best position on team I would think!:starspin
  9. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Not sure what the status is on Phillips contract, but I have a feeling that when it is up, he probably won't get an extension.
  10. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...and I'm sure he wants more playing time but...he's a solid backup and can play special teams: I'd like to keep him if affordable.
  11. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,174 Messages
    2,376 Likes Received
    So Witten is going to surpass Michael Irvin for career receptions for a Cowboy, break the Cowboys record for receptions in a game (18), and break the NFL for receptions by a tight end in the season.....

All in the same year.
  12. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    With an outside shot of breaking the Cowboys single-season receptions record of 111 set by Michael Irvin in 1995. I doubt he catches 15 passes in the next 2 games, but it is possible.
  13. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,101 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    5 catches in 2 games? He'll break it.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    We're probably going to have to throw a lot against both NO and Washington because they'll both score some points.

That record might not be that far out of reach.
  15. CxC1993

CxC1993 Member

285 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Pretty amazing, huh?:starspin
  16. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,000 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    Witten will break that this game. And could very well have it by halftime
  17. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    How Witten could have lost out to Shockey for several Pro Bowls is BEYOND me. Shows what a sleeve of tats and a "personality" does in the league
  18. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    He hasn't. Witten went to 7 straight Pro-Bowls from 2004 until 2010. Shockey's 4 Pro-Bowls came in 2002(before Witten was in the league), 2003(Witten's rookie season), 2005 & 2006.
  19. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    There were years where Shockey was voted starter over Witten though.
  20. joseephuss

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    A couple of years, but not several. Actually, Alge Crumpler was the starter over both guys in 2005 and 2006. It is understandable that Shockey got voted in over Witten in 2003. That was Witten's rookie season and he wasn't deserving of a Pro-Bowl then.