1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Witten closing in on NFL record

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by The Quest for Six, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,486 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    If he breaks it someone will probably will break it next year #TodaysNFL
  2. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Witten is a warrior and wants to win more than anyone else on the team..except maybe Romo..
  3. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

826 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Who would you guys say was better in their prime...Witten or Novacek? I know Novacek was limited by injury later in his career but he was a beast in the early-mid 90s.
  4. nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy Member

523 Messages
    10 Likes Received
  5. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    He will likely break that since he is the primary target seemingly.

Unfortunate that neither he, nor Tony G... might never win a ring. They both deserve one.

I hope he breaks both records actually. He deserves it for the work he has put in over the years. Great player (all-time) at his position.
  6. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,957 Messages
    2,190 Likes Received
    Witten. I love Jay, but there's really no comparison.
  7. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    At the pace he's on now, averaging about 7 catches a game, he could break the record this week and end up with around 110 just by keeping to his season average. That'd be pretty impressive, breaking they old record by 8 receptions. That's an outlier kind of season...a mark could last for awhile.
  8. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I would love to see him get 10 this game and 13 against the Skins and finish with 120
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,342 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    I think he'll definately break that record this week. The New Orleans defense is not good at all so Witten should have a very nice game.

I can see him catching 7 or 8 balls in this game for sure. I'd love to see him wind up with about 10 or so and have a really good shot of breaking the Cowboys all time single season record.

I absolutely love this guy. He's far and away my favorite current player and only Emmitt Smith is ahead of him as my all time favorite.
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,245 Messages
    1,177 Likes Received
    Witten and I think it is by a wide margin. I think he is better at finding and creating space. He is bigger and stronger and probably even has better hands. The 1990s Cowboys would not have skipped a beat had Witten played for them with one exception. Witten is not a holder for extra points and FGs.

The most receptions Novacek had in a season was 68 at age 30 back in 1992. The most yards was 705 in 1995, his last year in the NFL. Witten averages 79 receptions and 883 yards a season at this point.