1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Witten = Our Running Game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by T-RO, Nov 15, 2012.

1. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    When one understands that we are 30th in the league with a 3.6 per carry rushing average...it's not that difficult to see that the Boys must turn to a short passing game to compensate for the lack of a running game.

It's been a lot worse in the absence of Murray. Since he went down the run game has produced 2.97 per play.

So those who criticize the passes to Witten simply don't get it. When Romo and Jason work together the completion rate is near 70%, the turnovers and negative plays are almost nonexistent...and the chains move down the field. The combo would be viewed as a devastating duo...if you simply viewed it as a running game.

Which, when you think about it...it almost is.

We do need a vertical threat. But with our pathetic o-line and with Mile's hammies...that's not going to happen this season.

Upon setting up in the pocket, Romo has been getting about .005 seconds before the pocket collapses. His ability to work with Jason to turn such situations into positive yardage was uncanny Sunday and was the #1 key of the game to turn that from debacle into victory.

The best thing about this team's offense is Romo and Witten. Yet somehow around here that combo gets the most criticism. The complete lunacy in attacking this in some back water corners of Cowboy nation... is beyond comprehension.
  2. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,234 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    So we are the Packers of the 90's that couldn't run so they ran screens 70% of the time.
  3. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...train of thought, but like all good thoughts it has to be tempered.

As you lean on a short passing game to the TE or the slot to gain your short yards any good DC will capitalize on the repetitive tendency and make you pay for it at some point in time.

The real answer is to develop the effectiveness of your offence to the point the defence can't key on one situation and has to play the entire field.

The are multiple reasons why this offence is not firing on all cylinders. The solutions are not easy and we have to be careful about compressing our playbook and leaning on what works more than we have to.

Witten is a very good TE, but he's not the entire offence nor should he be if we want to make the playoffs.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,878 Messages
    7,609 Likes Received
    Are people complaining about throwing the ball to Witten? I haven't seen that much. I know it cropped up in a thread before the ATL game, but I took it more for misplaced frustration with the WR corps.

If I'm Tony, I'm throwing it to Jason every time he's open. It's an almost automatic catch, and there will be other downs when he's covered where you can take your shots. An automatic 6 or 8 yards is always going to help your play sheet look better the next down.
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    They won a Super Bowl and went to another doing it. I'll take it.:D
  6. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    If not then maybe someone can start so we can have some spirited debate in this thread!
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    Great theory if he could actually score in redone situations. That's when you actually need the threat of a real run.
  8. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,021 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    The problem with this is as follows: it moves the ball down the field in small chunks. And I honestly think the defense is INVITING us to throw to Witten. Because at some point..moving it in small chunks means it takes 12 play drives to score...and over the course of a drive...we will have a penalty or a negative play...which creates a down/distance that again the defense will gladly give you Witten....because he will not be able to cover the distance to get the first down. So the answer to NOT being able to rely on our WRs or RBs is not "just keep going to Witten"....the answer is to NOT go into seasons with a below average OL...to NOT go into seasons with Kevin Ogletree is the #3 WR on the team.

Witten is a great player. Probably a Ring of Honor player. But I have asked this question before....what has all of his "production" yielded? Has it had an impact on winning? How many players in the Ring of Honor have ONE playoff win?

The number of targets to Witten need to be reduced...and they need to be re-distributed to a more explosive player. If that player is NOT on the roster...than get him on the roster. As opposed to going with what you already know...because what you already know has not produced WINNING!
  9. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    Sort of reminds me of when DJ became our outlet receiver on offense many years ago. We were cooked and done on offense back then too.
  10. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,768 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Parcells was doing that as well when he was here. Running game was so bad, he was having the QB dink and dunk to the TE's for two to three yds at a time. :lmao2: :lmao2:

You would think a "GM" who had IMO THE greatest RB in the NFL would realize that you NEED a solid stud (Jackson comes to mind) at RB. Yes, the O-line helps, but, still need that # 1 RB. Not the RB by committee they had here in Dallas for a bit.
  11. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    It is interesting to note that Witten is on pace to catch 115+ balls, which would be by far his highest total. At the same time, his average of 8.9 would be almost two full yards less than his next lowest, not counting his rookie year.
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    If we had a running back averaging 6.6 yards per carry, would you say his carries should be reduced?
  13. bbailey423

5,021 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    If we had a RB with those averages....I can promise you our passing offense would consist of much more than dinking and dunking to Witten
  14. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    You're missing the point. And you didn't answer the question.
  15. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Murray is a stud runner. He's as good or better than Jackson at this point when he's healthy.

You want a stud runner? Ask yousrelf, how significantly Stephen Jackson and Adrian Peterson have helped their team threaten for championships? If it was one or the other I'd rather shore up the line and let the Dunbars of the world run the rock.

O-line impacts all aspects of the game.
  16. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Exactly. We have had pretty good backs at times over the last 15+ years. We have yet to have an OL that was good for more than a few games at a time. My high school son had not yet been born the last time we had a consistently good OL.
  17. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received

bbaily423, I agree 100% about not going into a season with a line like this...and with a spare like O-tree as our number 3. But Garrett and Romo are crippled by even more limitations. Miles is rarely fully healthy and Dez still cannot be trusted.

Really the only players that you can say are playing at an average or above average level through the season:

Romo
    Murray
    Witten
    Livings

And Witten was completely not himself the first three games. Murray's absence is absolutely killer.
  18. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,234 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    Actually they wallowed in mediocrity until they got actual running backs. Dorsey Levens.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,074 Messages
    1,935 Likes Received
    That is atrocious...but....but....PFF says we're 22nd in pass blocking so that's pretty good. :rolleyes:
  20. bbailey423

5,021 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    I agree. But think about it. Garrett BROUGHT Ogletree here. He knew what he did or did not have in Ogletree. This is his 4th year....and as the architect of this offense it is HIS job to make sure the pieces fit. Garrett has been here since 2007....so he knows what he has in Romo, Witten, Dez, Miles and ALL of the OL. ALL of them have been acquired under his watch. He has spent almost every day with them for 4+ years. So if Romo to Witten is the only RELIABLE option in the passing game. Then shame on Garrett for allowing himself to be hamstrung like this.