1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Woman runs from attacker, leaves child behind.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Derekmtl85, May 10, 2012.

1. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Well-Known Member

1,247 Messages
    340 Likes Received
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    Mom of the year.
  3. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    You'd have to kill me before I'd ever leave my child. The end.
  4. Derekmtl85

1,247 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    This.

I'm sure most (the good ones) parents feel the same way.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    What if it is just a horrible kid? :)
  6. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    not to doubt all the parenting prowess here but it is all talk until someone puts a knife to your throat
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    She also had the child in the front seat of the car with no car seat.
  8. Derekmtl85

1,247 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    BS.

My son is the most important thing in my life, how hard is it to just give up your wallet/purse...whatever you do, you don't run and leave your kid behind with a guy with a knife.

Seriously...that's parenting 101. I'd gladly die if it saved my son.
  9. rkell87

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    i don't doubt you think that as i'm sure that woman thought the same until the moment came
  10. Derekmtl85

1,247 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    That's not the point, the guy wanted the purse...instead of giving it to him, her first reaction was to run and leave her little girl behind with a guy with a knife.

You do not get dumber than that. At the very least, she could have dropped the purse and grabbed her daughter and run.

She is supposed to protect her daughter, not think of herself first.
  11. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    yeah it is easy for us to talk when we aren't in the situation

for all we know, those who are condemning could pull a George Costanza the second they were in fear
  12. Derekmtl85

1,247 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Sorry, but that doesn't make this any better...It's almost like you're defending a girl who let her daughter there to get kidnapped or killed by a mugger.

Yes, anybody can say they would protect their kid...most would, those who are good parents would think of the safety of the kid first, not the purse.
  13. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    He likes to stir the pot ..... just ignore him.
  14. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is easy to say from the outside, but you are not in her head living the experience. Her reaction was terrible but you are judging her without knowing why she reacted that way.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/18172394/springfield-mother-runs-from-robber-leaves-daughter-behind

Could just be an excuse for her lapse in judgement but it sounds plausible.
  15. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Pot meet kettle
  16. Derekmtl85

1,247 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I don't believe that.

She could have dropped her purse and run with her daughter.

Sounds like an excuse not to look like a bad parent.

She ran back to the door after to get to the store for help, if she really did run away for the attacker to follow her, she could have went to a different place for help, like the direction she was running in.

Of course, you can disagree, i don't know the truth for sure so she could be telling the truth. It just seems like an excuse for running away.
  17. rkell87

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    it is the point, as much as we are conditioned to think of others and go against our own nature everyday, we still have a very basic primal instinct of fight or flight when threatened and sometimes you absolutely have no rational thought with that surge of adrenaline other than to fight or run. Yes from the outside it is easy to say just give the bag, but I doubt she cared about saving her bag, hell she probably didn't even hear him ask for the bag after seeing the knife, who knows.

bottom line is even people who are trained to confront and attacker, you know like soldiers, don't think straight once the time comes. Sometimes you don't fully control your actions and to debate that you know what you would do in a given situation of potentially life or death consequence, without having been in that, or similar situation, is both futile and asinine.
  18. Derekmtl85

1,247 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I'l agree to disagree.

My son is the most important thing in my life, i'd rather get stabbed than lose him. Easy decision to make, if something happened to him i'd blame myself the rest of my life.

Not every parent is a good, loving parent. Some think of themselves before their kid...and sorry, but that's not a good excuse, even if she was scared.

It's her job to protect her kid. Scared or not. So i'll agree to disagree.
  19. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    She's lucky she didnt have her carotid artery slit open when he stabbed her on the collarbone. That would have gotten messy fast.
  20. rkell87

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    and i'll agree that you probably would blame yourself but i maintain that you may not consciously be able to make the decision you think you would