1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Women turn on ‘traitor’ Oprah Winfrey for backing Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Jan 20, 2008.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,943 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Idiots vs. Idiots...

Anyone who votes for a candidate based on race or gender, in my opinion, should not bother to vote...

Link

Women turn on ‘traitor’ Oprah Winfrey for backing Barack Obama
    Oprah fans leave a barrage of negative messages on her official website in response to the talk show host's support of Obama

AMERICA’S favourite television presenter is paying a painful price for her intervention in the US presidential campaign last month. Oprah Winfrey has been dubbed a “traitor” by some of her female fans for supporting Barack Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

Winfrey’s website, Oprah.com, has been flooded with a barrage of abuse since the queen of daytime chat shows joined Obama on a tour of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina in mid-December.

Her intervention was widely credited with broadening Obama’s national appeal - especially among women - and with helping him to an upset victory over Clinton in the first vote of the election year in Iowa.

Yet a backlash by Clinton supporters appears to have prompted a rethink by Winfrey, the African-American media titan who is routinely described as the most influential woman on television.

She did not reappear in the final days before the New Hampshire primary - which Obama lost to Clinton - and has been absent from the most recent campaigning in South Carolina, which votes next weekend.

Obama aides believe that Winfrey will return to the campaign. Her own staff noted last week that in addition to her daily broadcasts on television and satellite radio, she has also been busy negotiating a multi-million-dollar deal with the Discovery cable network to create her own television channel, the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Yet Obama’s rivals suspect that Winfrey has been startled by the virulent reaction to her previous campaign appearance.

It started with a message on her website entitled “Oprah is a traitor” and rapidly expanded to include several discussions that attracted hundreds of comments.

In the original post, a reader called austaz68 said she “cannot believe that women all over this country are not up in arms over Oprah’s backing of Obama. For the first time in history we actually have a shot at putting a woman in the White House and Oprah backs the black MAN. She’s choosing her race over her gender.”

In a subsequent comment, 2nurselady wrote: “I don’t think Oprah is a ‘traitor’, but I do think she may be alienating a lot of her fans.”

Others have accused Winfrey of racism for siding with Obama when such a well qualified woman as Clinton was running.

Winfrey has built her career on empathising with women’s issues and offering a daily diet of redemption and hope. Her show typically focuses on women who have suffered but survived.

So hostile has the response been that some suspect dirty tricks. “All the rude and hateful messages on here can’t be from Oprah fans,” another visitor noted. “Someone’s campaign (wonder who?) is sabotaging the message boards.”

Winfrey received a rapturous reception when she campaigned with Obama last month. Yet several analysts warned that she might adversely affect his chances.

Steve Ross, a history professor at the University of Southern California, said: “The moment a star opens their mouth and endorses one candidate, they alienate half their viewership.”
  2. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Color is thicker than gender?
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Good stuff but it doesn't surprise me.

Oprah has always been a success because she ran such a woman-centric show and if anything minimized race. Now that Obama and Hillary are drawing lines in the sand based on just those distinctions it will be harder for Oprah to continue to be involved for Obama without alienating the base that made her the most powerful woman in the country.

And as to why we vote for whom we vote for Trick, ... well there are a lot of dumber reasons than their gender or race, though I agree at heart it is superficial.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    but what if she backs obama because she likes his policy and doesn't like clintons and race isn't a factor? we seem to be making a lot of assumptions here.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Assumptions do not matter, end results do.

Oprah is the queen of all things womanly. She nauseates (sane) men and resonates with women. Everything about her show screams "WOMAN!!!!". And she has made that her life. Now she is looking at the second most powerful woman in our country and shrugging her off. By virtue of that it gives the perception to those unabashed fans of womanhood that she is selecting race over gender.

She has never selected race over gender previously. Her shows themes favor women enormously and when race is instituted it is rare. The vast majority of her fan base? White women in the same age demographic as Hillary Clinton.

I think Oprah should be allowed to choose her own candidate but I feel no connection to her whatsoever. For those that worship her like a female symbol of power than it becomes a tougher call.

Chuck Norris has little to lose by endorsing Huckabee, but Oprah is walking a land-mine laden field.
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,101 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    Chuck Norris and Ric Flair are endorsing Huckabee.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

;)
  7. ArbitraryCowboysName

ArbitraryCowboysName New Member

19 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its amazing how ignorant some people can be. People should not support candidates just because of gender or race, this is ridiculous.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    That's an easy argument to make for those of us that are white males and every other election has included only white males....

Its kind alike voting for a white guy in the dunk contest, not just because he is white but because it is so rare for a white guy to even get invited.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,871 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Its stupid to vote for anyone based on race sex or appearence. Anyone who does is a moron.
  10. ArbitraryCowboysName

ArbitraryCowboysName New Member

19 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Though that is a valid point it still does not justify voting for those reasons.
  11. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    and as a white male, i don't care if the president is a woman or a black man or black woman. i do NOT want it to be THIS woman and i'm still keeping on eye on barak. but the more hillary plays her little powergames with him the more i'm on his side.
  12. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,299 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    Yes but unfortunately America lets us morons vote anyway :p:

Seriously though, i liked Bill and i like hillary, plus i think its time for a woman to be put into office because i think she will work harder than a man to get things done because she will be representing the whole female gender as if to show that a woman can perform this type of job. I also respect her tenacity and while she may be criticized as being harsh - being leader of this country is not about being mr nice guy. I think she's intelligent as well.

If thats not enough......add to the fact that im just plain curious to see what happens with a woman in the office :D
  13. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,490 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    They shouldn't, but they do. :bang2:
  14. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's called Identity Politics and both Obama and Clinton play that game, and it's not going way anytime soon. Makes me want to vomit watching those pander bears go their machinations.
  15. zrinkill

33,101 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]I just wish Dr. Condoleezza Rice was running ...... that would take away Clinton and Obama's whole game.

Plus she is much more qualified.
    [/FONT]
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I agree. I don't say that because she is a woman or black I say it because I think very highly of her and think she would do a great job.
  17. zrinkill

33,101 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    I completely agree

She is probably too smart to ever run for President unfortunately for the American people.
  18. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    You may be right but I hope one day she takes a shot at it.
  19. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who would win a catfight betwixt Hillary and Condy?

That would be delicious.
  20. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I think Condy would. Regardless of what some may think Hillary biggest boost comes from her husband not Hillary herself.