1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Woodson on NFL live

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by morasp, Sep 7, 2005.

1. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,934 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    Darren woodson was NFL live along with Eagle homer Mike Golic and Mike Greenburg last night. It was his first show and he already looked very comfortable. They asked them to make some picks for rookies and Darrren picked Demarcus Ware as defensive rookie of the year. Of course they called him a homer but he stuck by it. It's kind of fun to see the cowboys get some props on ESPN. Now if we could just get Moose Johnson to be the announcer for all the cowboys games were set. He tries not to be biased towards the cowboys but can't help himself.
  2. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,551 Messages
    1,162 Likes Received
    I thought Woodson was very articulate.
    He just needs to watch motioning with his hands.
    It's okay to have hand gestures, but you have to keep them at waste level or desk level and not make them so animated.
    Woodson will learn to bring that under control, though.
    As an articulate black man myself, I'm glad they got a black athlete who talks like he doesn't have gravel in his mouth or who knows how to employ the King's English.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,943 Likes Received
    You do realize the king's english is closer to having a bunch of 'art's", "thou's," and the "BP has forsaken the Cowboys, he must be flogged" in it. I get your point, but I don't think that's a good analogy. :cool:
  4. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think the anology within anology is that, King's English means proper english ( Since King is still technically alive and well in England, and I dont hear him using old English :D ). At least thats what I thought he meant by it. US English no matter how different sometimes it sounds or spelled, it still is England's English :)

Anyway, I do agree with him though. I am not black ( nor am I white), but I do like Woodson articulates. Thats one of the reason's I dont like Emmit in broadcast or analyst booth. He doesn't sound like a well eduacated guy.

I mean Michael Irvin is no English Guru himself, but he articulates pretty well. Anyway of the the cowboys on TV, I expect Emmit to have least success.
  5. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You know WG, I just might have to use this phrase. ;)
  6. WoodysGirl

67,145 Messages
    6,943 Likes Received
    Like I said, I got the guy's point.

But US english is in no way the same as the english that is currently spoken in England. And when referencing the King, he could've meant Henry the VIII, as far as I was concerned. (Especially since there is no king in England right now. You have only the queen if I'm not mistaken. Prince Charles becomes king upon her death, which doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon. Lady looks great for her age, BTW. )

Anyway, when writing for a public audience, it is best not to assume the degree to which your audience can understand what your saying, thereby underlying the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) philosophy. Say what you mean, clearly and concisely.

Anyway, I wasn't disagreeing at all about Woody's public speaking ability. I think he does use his hands more than necessary in that particular setting. And I think he needs a little more seasoning as to getting his thoughts out quicker. That being said, I loved watching him on TV last night. But it was funny, cuz he looked so small sitting next to Golic. Didn't realize how big Golic was until then.
  7. Martice

Martice Member

959 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I lived in London for 5 years and I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. and I can tell you for sure that English spoken overseas is not the same as English in the U.S.. They are similar but they are not the same.

Besides, speaking proper American English is what we are looking for from our announcers, white or black.
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received

Exactly.

What bothers me is how when a black man speaks "proper english" it has to be pointed out, as if its some kind of anamoly (sp?) or something. But when a white guy talks and you can't understand a word he says, it's no big deal. Anyone ever heard Peyton Manning talk? Or at least tried to?

Double standard? No doubt.

Not to turn this into a race thread or anything. Just thought I'd point that out.
  9. WoodysGirl

67,145 Messages
    6,943 Likes Received
    I agree, Rack and Martice.

We just want articulate folks who can get up there and talk good football. Some are definitely better at it than others, for sure.
  10. SALADIN

SALADIN Jumper

1,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :hammer:

I used to hear that all the time about M. Jordan. "oh, he speaks so well". Now Magic Johnson is another story.

I know more black men that 'speak well' than those who don't. :rolleyes:
  11. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,733 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    You're wrong. I don't like listening to anyone on a broadcast that I can hardly understand, black or white.
  12. 31smackdown

31smackdown Well-Known Member

1,059 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    I sometimes think that Brooklyn has it's own language...
  13. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  14. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ok, that can be said of guy who lived in New York whole life and comes down to Texas too. Or vice Versa etc.

But your second point is what is correct anyway. But this thread seems to be threading into someone being called a Racist pretty soon. ;)
  15. WoodysGirl

67,145 Messages
    6,943 Likes Received
    That's so true. I lived here all my life and I hadn't heard the name "Kim" pronounced with more than one syllable until recently. It was the funniest thing, I'd ever heard.
  16. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I can understand Manning fine when he talks. He has a bit of a southern drawl, but you make it sound like he's mentally ******** or something. I don't think Emmitt sounds uneducated either. Sure, he's not going to be lecturing at MIT or anything, but he seems intelligent, with a bit of a southern drawl himself. A southern accent doesn't mean you're uneducated.

Now, if you want to hear someone who sounds uneducated, listen to a Cadillac Williams interview.
  17. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received

Old Chris Rock material. Except I think he used Colin Powell, not Michael Jordan.
  18. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

6,238 Messages
    1,454 Likes Received
    :lmao2: Yeah, you're fine and 6' 4" too. That's all good but just how big is your noggin. I'm just kidding :) . What I hate is to here guys say "you know what I mean" or "you know" and other filler-phrases like that over and over and over again. But at times, I understand the difficulty these guys are facing. They must be very careful with what they say and how they say it because its being recorded and beamed all over the world. You can never just be yourself because something may slip.

I personally know an athlete who cusses like a sailor when he talks. Just his normal every day language. (Not that I approve, but that's him.) The media watches his every move and they love to talk to him because he's a good interview (never gives the company line or cliched answers). His interviews always sound choppy because he has to make a concerted effort not to cuss. That's the way he talks, but he knows he can't do that on camera.
  19. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,551 Messages
    1,162 Likes Received

Who said that, that there was a double standard?

As an African American, I was remarking based on my experiences.

I hear too many blacks who can't speak properly.

Now we can debate what "properly" means, but since English is our standard language, I don't think it's unreasonable to want a black guy to speak so I can understand him.

Whites can't speak the King's English also, but I'm more sensitive to blacks since I am black and have been accused of speaking "white."

Oh, and Woody's Girl, I'm using "King's English" as a general reference to "proper" English.

Don't make me have to smite thee.

Or would that be smiteth thee?

:D