1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Woody on ESPN

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,288 Messages
    659 Likes Received
    NFL Live.............good to see Woody again.
  2. IceDogg

IceDogg New Member

10 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I seen him too. He did a good job too, I think.
  3. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Woody is a pretty good speaker. Someone should give him a shot as an NFL analyst. When you look at some of the guys doing it now, Woody would only be a definite upgrade.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,016 Messages
    3,957 Likes Received
    Hate I missed that. Anybody got a recap and what they were discussing and his thoughts?
  5. DeWare94

DeWare94 Member

953 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    it might be on again at 12:30 ET or around that
  6. CactusCowboy

CactusCowboy Benched

1,861 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He mainly talked about Rice's retirement. He does come across very well.
  7. 31smackdown

31smackdown Active Member

1,031 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    WG... He was on for the whole show and it appeared as if he may be a new addition to the team this year.

They were talking mostly about Jerry Rice... Woody was saying that he was one of the greatest ever, talked about how his routes were so precise and crisp.

He looked pretty comfortable and did a good job I thought, unfortunately Salisbury was the one next to him and was asking him stupid questions about Rice. Like... how early did you start preparing to play Rice?... Woody basically said .. if you played Sunday, then Sunday night... but I'm sure this was true in most cases. Woody was also saying that you also had to prepare for the rest of the team, Steve Young, etc.. and that the Deion's and Kevin Smith's were the ones who really had to deal with Rice.

All in all Woody was good, I'm just not sure he matches well with Salisbury right now... I think Woody is just working his way in and doesn't want to cause any waves so early, but hopefully he starts to challenge Salisbury a little bit more. I was getting the feeling that he didn't want to make him look stupid, so he just went along with the dull questions.
  8. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,573 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    hey if he was with Salisbury then he definitely was the smartest one there.
  9. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's usually how it goes..and then ESPN seems to want them to get into some kind of schtick, like the Jaws/Hoge pass/run debate. Or the Irvin/Young thing.

However it turns out, I hope they let Woody be himself...not some foil for freakin Sean Salisbury.

Sometimes I think ESPN tries a little too hard to work it's analysts like an actual football game...as competitors and not colleagues. It might make for more drama, but the analysis is what suffers when one guy can't say anything unless it contradicts another.
  10. calico

calico Active Member

4,143 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Yeah, good to see someone who was actually played football and a HALL OF FAME level on the show.
  11. WoodysGirl

65,016 Messages
    3,957 Likes Received
    Thanks Smack. He's actually gonna be a regular, so I look forward to seeing him on TV daily instead of weekly. Woohoo!!

I do think once he gets comfortable, he'll start laying the wood on Salisbury too. Salisbury is not always an idiot, but then when someone contradicts one of his statements, he starts foaming at the mouth and his face gets all red and sweaty. Generally, I start tuning him out and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that.
  12. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,610 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    Tsk, Tsk ... I thought you were a better stalker than that. I'm glad I know where Mike is every Sunday, and Monday night ;)
  13. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,610 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    I'm glad to see football come this week and I'll be equally glad to see this week over with. Jerry Rice's retirement is ruining it for me. Yeah he's great, he's good ... but does it warrant all this?
  14. WoodysGirl

65,016 Messages
    3,957 Likes Received
    Stalkers need sleep, too. Not alot, but enuff. It's hard work chasing after the impossible... :p:

Trust, I won't miss another one if I'm home to see it. :cool:
  15. roughneck266

roughneck266 Well-Known Member

1,791 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    Maybe we could hire a hit man to off Theiswoman and he could go get his spot.
  16. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was actually Trey Wingo, not Salisbury, who was next to him, and he did make mention at the end that Woody will be there all season.
  17. 31smackdown

31smackdown Active Member

1,031 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Wow... I must have been really tired... I probably figured that the only one lame enough to ask those questions was Salisbury..sorry about that... I was clearly only interested in what Woody had to say.