1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Woody: "All the players wanted Moss..."

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by DallasCowpoke111, Apr 17, 2006.

1. DallasCowpoke111

DallasCowpoke111 Benched

2,242 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DW just commented on ESPN's Draft Special how all the players wanted and expected Moss was going to be the pick. He went on to say how surprised a lot of them were when Ellis was the pick.

Interesting, guess I'd never heard a player say that so matter-of-factly.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,787 Messages
    2,524 Likes Received
    That's interesting.
  3. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Moss..........Irvin and Troy:eek:
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    Does not shock me.

I don't know if it was the ultimate sell job by JJ or if they changed their minds at the last hour.

However Moss was so sure the cowboys were going to pick him.

The cowboys went so far to either sell the idea or really thought they were going to take him that they had a rep in Rand, WV (where Moss was from)staying in a hotel.

I remember hearing that reported on the news the day of the draft and was pumped thinking they would not send a guy there if they were not going to draft him.

Still do not know why they sent someone to his town.

So when Moss thought he was going to be a cowboy he had good reason besides just an owner or coach telling him. They went the extra step in sending someone to his home town.

Like I said either a last hour change or a crazy sell job.
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think it was the former
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,787 Messages
    2,524 Likes Received
    If I remember right BP, we tried to trade back inot round 1 to take him later and couldn't work a deal before Minny grabbed him.
  7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    we tried to do what with Kevin Jones too, that's interesting though
  8. Hiero

Hiero New Member

3,075 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    damn I wish Woody had helmet to helmet hit whoever chose Ellis over Moss. One of the worst mistakes of all time.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    Could be but it was just odd how that whole thing went down.

I guess they did a sell job so nobody would take Ellis but I just don't think many were going to jump in front of the boys for ellis anyways.

I think they just changed their minds at the last hour.
  10. Secondary2None3141

Secondary2None3141 Benched

183 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Personally I'm glad we never had Moss. And people need to realize that if we took Moss, he would never have stayed a Cowboy.

Remember that right around 2000, as we entered cap hell, Moss made demands about wanting to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

There was no way we would have been able to accomadate him.
  11. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,411 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    Sometimes you miss and other times you REALLY miss. Nothing against Greg Ellis who has been a good player his entire career, but not taking Moss when everyone pretty much KNEW we would really set us back. Not only did we miss out on a rare game-changer like Moss, but with Moss we never even have to consider trading away 2 #1 picks for Galloway.
  12. Paniolo22

Paniolo22 Hawaiian Cowboy

3,621 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Just think of all the repercussions. Trading for Galloway and the 2 first rounders, signing Anthony Miller, signing the Rocket, signing anyone and everyone to try and replace Harper and then Irvin. Hugest mistake in the last 10 years.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received

The Galloway situation was what took the cake IMO.

I mean I wanted moss, he was from my Home state and I saw all the plays he made at marshall before anyone had even heard of Marshall.

I don't dislike Ellis and I can understand the situation, plus water under the bridge now.

But the whole Galloway situation and Two 1st round picks was what made the whole thing so bad.

Even if Moss turned out crappy or we could not afford to resign him, we still wasted two first round picks.
  14. PlayMaker88

PlayMaker88 Member

196 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If I remember correctly, I read once where Chan Gailey and then wide recievers coach, Dwayne Painter talked Jerry out of picking Moss at the last minute. I think Moss even had breakfast with Micheal Irvin, the morning of the draft. During his pre-draft visit, Moss was picked up at the airport by Painter, who said all Moss was worried about was going to the mall to buy some new clothes. Moss later said he wanted to dress to impress. I remember that draft day and how exited I was when Moss was still there and then devastated when the Boys took Ellis.
  15. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Like I always say, what really hurts about skipping Moss is that was Aikman, Irvin and Emmitt's last chance for a Super Bowl. Say what you want about character and salary demands, and Greg Ellis has been nothing but a stand-up guy for the Boys, but that would have been one hell of an offense in the Triplets last years if they could have had Irvin and Moss together. Folks always say, "If Aikman had to throw it all day, he could easily pick up 4,000 yards a season." I'm here to say if Dallas had drafted Moss, they would have converted to an aerial assault team instantly, and with Emmitt's career winding down, Dallas would have looked to Troy's gun to lead them to the promised land. That should have been the Cowboys 15-1 season, not Minnesota. :(
  16. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Exactly. And guess who we could have had with one of those first round picks? The would-be successor to Emmitt Smith, Shaun Alexander. just imagine an offense with Moss and Alexander for one moment....
    Then compare that to an offense with Galloway and Hambrick...
    :bang2:
  17. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I still think Moss and Irvin, at that time in his life, would have been a bad mix. Moss would have been right in the middle of all of Mike's off the field stuff.
  18. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Agree about Aikman and Moss/Irvin combo. No doubt about that. But having said that, I was against drafting Moss and still am. But then like I hated Deion being a Cowboys and still rooted when he made plays or like now, hate TO signing but will cheer when he gets TDs etc., I probably would have loved it when Moss was burning DBs all over.

Probably Cowboys would have been cusp of SB, if they could have also added one or two D players. Although Cowboys sucked in drafting D players, so not sure if cowboys would have had the D to be SB players even if Moss was there.
  19. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I disagree. His attitude wasn't as flamboyant when he first came into the league. Those qualities didn't show up until later. Moss had Carter as a mentor; someone that I always thought was fake and more absorbed into himself than most realize. However, Irvin was all about winning and working hard and I believe would have had a more positive impact on Moss' development.
  20. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll give ya the defensive problems, and bonehead Gailey too. Maybe not the Super Bowl, but if that same squad could go 10-6 and 8-8, I'm sure they could have fit at least one 12-4 season in with Moss. Remember, Moss was seriously considered for MVP that year. The fella just lit it up!