1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Worked too hard shoveling snow mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by bodi, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bodi

bodi Active Member

733 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    1 Timmy Jernigan, DT, 6-2 #300 Florida State

2 Ed Reynolds, FS. 6-2 #210 Stanford

3 Dakota Dozier, OG, 6-4 #295 Furman

4 Kareem Martin, DE, 6-6, #265 North Carolina

5 Jeremiah George, ILB/OLB, 5-11 #220 Iowa St

7 Kevin Norwood, WR, 6-2 #200 Alabama

7 Jay Bromley, DE/DT , 6-3, #310 Syracuse

7 Danny Kistler, OT, 6-6 #315 Montana
  2. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    I've been pretty high on Jernigan of late because of his motor and versatility. I would be happy with that pick. As for Reynolds, I would really need to see who was still on the board at that point. I know he isn't real popular right now, but if we do go safety, I would like to grab the kid from FSU, possibly in the third. I know their stock is high because of the national title, but I really like the swagger, confidence and hustle of both these FSU guys.
  3. bodi

bodi Active Member

733 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Ed Reynolds

Reynolds quickly proved to be a difference-maker for the Cardinal in 2012, collecting a potential game-saving interception against David Fales and San Jose State in the season-opener to preserve a 20-17 win and racking up 301 yards on interception returns for the year, the second highest total in FCS history (USC defensive back Charles Phillips had 302 yards on interception returns in 1974). He finished with six interceptions, returning three for touchdowns.

Reynolds is often overshadowed by some of the "other" highly regarded defenders surrounding him but Pac-12 opponents knew to stay away, which explains why he was named First Team all-conference despite collecting only one interception and three passes broken up as a junior

The high academic requirements Stanford imposes usually equate to instinctive, technically-sound defenders and that is certainly the case with Reynolds, a savvy defender and reliable open-field tackler

Strengths: At 6-2, 205 pounds, Reynolds possesses the lanky build scouts are looking for at the position. Physical and instinctive. Demonstrates good agility and acceleration to handle covering athletic tight ends out of the slot as well as supply deep help over the top. Reads the action and moves fluidly, showing a nice late burst to close on the ball and terrific vision and open-field running ability once he possesses it. Understands his role as the last line of defense and generally takes excellent angles in pursuit.

Force in run defense. Savvy defender and reliable open-field tackler. Breaks down well in space and delivers a pop on contact, often driving ballcarriers back.

Rob Rang (1/14/14)

of course one writers opinion

Reynolds was third among Stanford defenders in 2013 with 87 tackles, adding four breakups, five passes defended and one interception. He was a pivotal cog in a defensive unit that ranked third nationally in rushing defense (89.4 yards/game), seventh in tackles for loss (7.8/game) and 16th in total defense (343.1 yards/game). Reynolds shelved in the accolades

of course it won't turn out this wat
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    pretty nice group.

i am a bit torn on jernigan.
    love how hard he plays but was not at all a fan of him sucking wind on the sidelines in the biggest game of his life.

a 300 pound pressure player who needs breaks in 2 minute stuff seems worrisome.

but when in the game and not sucking wind does show NFL caliber explosion.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    I watched a lot of Reynolds this year (I leaned a lot on PAC-12 football this year for some reason). He is definitely a solid player. Similar to Eric Reid from LSU in speed. Smart player...he's definitely the kind of guy that Jason Garrett would want on the team -- plays hard, works hard, loves football.

His dad also played linebacker in the NFL for 9 years. So there's that as well.

Another one to look at - Dion Bailey, Southern Cal. 222 career tackles, 11 interceptions starting as a nickel linebacker. That's pretty remarkable. He also already has his degree and is very smart. I'll have to see about watching some of his highlights after hearing his name mentioned in the Top 5 safety group. He projects more as a SS, so he could replace Church if the team doesn't feel good about Church going forward, or wants to keep him as depth.