1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

World Series: Texas Rangers vs St. Louis Cardinals

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Sam I Am, Oct 17, 2011.

1. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The amazing thing is that Texas got there without a true #1 starter, and then lost because they lacked a true stopper.
  2. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,029 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I think every Ranger fan echoed Napoli when he said it was the same pitch. I cant believe the ump said one of those pitches to Molina was a ball. Same location as the previous pitch and it was a strike. Same location to Napoli and it was a strike. Would still be 3-2 if the ump called it correctly. Oh well.
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,416 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    Nelson Cruz = goat.

If he makes HALF the effort two nights ago that he made last night for that home run ball (climbing the fence, etc), the Rangers are celebrating for the last 24 hours.
  4. utrunner07

utrunner07 Active Member

8,927 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone thinks Feliz is not a true closer. But he has to get his nerves under control, thats what always does him in.
  5. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry for the confusion. By "stopper" I meant ace starter. I felt Feliz should have pitched a second inning Thursday night.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    I give credit to Carpenter, After the 1st inning he settled down and threw as a #1 pitcher in the world series is expected to pitch.
  7. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,031 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well this one hurt...
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,006 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    No question.

After that first inning, the Cards and Carpenter could have closed up shop, but they manned up and did what needed to be done.
  9. ryanbabs

ryanbabs Member

733 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Totally agree with this.
  10. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,007 Messages
    438 Likes Received

I get it and agree on one hand.

But on the other hand. If you are going to have a "wild card" playoff set up then the Cards earned it.

On a Washington note:

It didnt work but I thought it would have been GREAT if Oliver was to close out hte World Series. What a way to wrap up a storied/journyman career.

The "intentions" were good.
    They just didnt execute.

I was telling my girl, "How cool, Oliver has been around 20+ years and he gets to wrap up WS win"
  11. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,947 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    and McNamara wanted Bill Buckner to be on the field when Boston closed out the Mets.

when I saw Oliver on the mound I almost turned the tv off, I would have bet just about every thing I own that he would blow it.
  12. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,459 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    so, everytime i see this thread, it makes me sad, what do i ahve to say to get it locked without a ban? i know!!
  13. utrunner07

utrunner07 Active Member

8,927 Messages
    8 Likes Received

Thought the exact same thing. And the way he had pitched in his past couple games I did not think it would be too much of an issue...too bad. Would have been a perfect game had it ended after the hamilton home run with oliver closing it out.
  14. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,365 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    tonight caps the worst week I can remember in my sports watching life, it was just one kick in the nuts after another (rangers-Texas Tech-Cowboys). I'm not going to be able to watch, read or listen to anything until the Cowboys win another game.

So discouraging....
  15. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You apparently missed what the pitching staff did over the season. All 5 starting pitchers had at least 13 wins, 4 of the 5 had an era below 4, opponents only hit .244 against them (6th best), they had a WHIP of 1.24 (5th best), they had 19 shutouts (2nd best), and 10 complete games (5th best). The

This is not the same kind of pitching staff as 10 years ago.

Admittedly they did not pitch well in the playoffs. Realistically the Cards pitchers were only marginally better.
  16. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I had the same thought too. We should have used Gonzales, but if Wash has a fault it's being loyal, and Oliver had been their all year and had a long history with the Rangers.
  17. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,824 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Yeah. He actually had a pretty good year and had done well in the playoffs in his limited appearances. It's just too bad it didn't work out. It would be have been a pretty cool moment.

Man, this one still hurts a bit. I still can't believe how close it was. Ugh.
  18. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,187 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    I've come to realize that it just wasn't meant to be, so I'm not going to fuss over it anymore. Stuff happens, doesn't make me like this team any less, it will just make it that much sweeter when/if we ever get back and win it.

I'm just sad the season is over. I enjoyed the Texas Rangers thread to escape from the crazies in the Fan Zone who seem to have issues with life.
  19. Air Force One

Air Force One Active Member

1,809 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I agree, just wasn't meant to be. Have to live with the fickle hand of fate.