World Series

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by jimmy40, Oct 23, 2013.

1. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

31,765 Messages
    4,345 Likes Received
    He does it.
    Then he doesn't look to home plate right away.

Very obvious.
  2. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,825 Messages
    652 Likes Received
    he made the call immediately, had nothing to do with being at Busch Stadium, it's not like the umps got together and overturned a call or something.
  3. Rogah

Rogah Benched

6,473 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    Srsly dude, let it go. The umps made the right call in game 1 (and they made the right call last night).

I've never seen so much whining about a call which was absolutely, crystal clear the right call. Who cares if they had to huddle up and discuss it before giving their final judgment?
  4. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler

10,178 Messages
    5,039 Likes Received
    [quote="jobberone, post: 5257354, member: 375"]It's supposed to be flagrant to be obstruction. It's a judgment call here as to whether or not it is flagrant although I see why it was called. That doesn't mean it would always be called that way.[/quote]

That is incorrect. It does not have to be flagrant, obstruction is obstruction but it is to the discretion of the ump. The runner can not interfere with the fielder, purposely or accidental.
  5. Rogah

Rogah Benched

6,473 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    Personally, I don't even think it was accidental. I think that last second leg kick was done deliberately and I don't think the call gets made without that part.
  6. dexternjack

10,178 Messages
    5,039 Likes Received
    You are probably right but it is still interference. I think in the end, the right call was made.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

46,995 Messages
    9,446 Likes Received
    That is incorrect. It does not have to be flagrant, obstruction is obstruction but it is to the discretion of the ump. The runner can not interfere with the fielder, purposely or accidental.[/quote]

Well, yes and no. The rule does state it does not have to be flagrant but flagrant is the way it is generally called. Normally if a fielder falls in the base path trying to field a ball they won't call that unless it is flagrant. Obviously the official thought he was trying to trip him which is probably true and called it. I don't think everyone would have called that but as I stated before it likely would be called there more often than not. That's just the way the game is normally played. This explanation is in the rules BTW. I'm not just stating an opinion.
  8. dexternjack

10,178 Messages
    5,039 Likes Received
    Well, yes and no. The rule does state it does not have to be flagrant but flagrant is the way it is generally called. Normally if a fielder falls in the base path trying to field a ball they won't call that unless it is flagrant. Obviously the official thought he was trying to trip him which is probably true and called it. I don't think everyone would have called that but as I stated before it likely would be called there more often than not. That's just the way the game is normally played. This explanation is in the rules BTW. I'm not just stating an opinion.[/quote]

True, there is a lot of gray area here.

One umps quote...."With the defensive player on the ground, without intent or intent, it's still obstruction," Joyce said. "You'd probably have to ask Middlebrooks that one, if he could have done anything. But that's not in our determination."

The main problem with this rule is....individual umpire's discretions. Anytime a rule can be interpreted differently, problems will arise. My point is that it does not have to be intentional(hard to prove anyways) to be obstruction.

Add: not sure why our quotes are getting mixed up :(
  9. jobberone

46,995 Messages
    9,446 Likes Received
    True, there is a lot of gray area here.

One umps quote...."With the defensive player on the ground, without intent or intent, it's still obstruction," Joyce said. "You'd probably have to ask Middlebrooks that one, if he could have done anything. But that's not in our determination."

The main problem with this rule is....individual umpire's discretions. Anytime a rule can be interpreted differently, problems will arise. My point is that it does not have to be intentional(hard to prove anyways) to be obstruction.

Add: not sure why our quotes are getting mixed up :([/quote]

If you start something on any device when logged in it will save the draft. Then if you start again it will throw that up there. I'll watch and make sure we don't have a problem.
  10. Rogah

Rogah Benched

6,473 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    What a boneheaded play at 1st base. You gain absolutely nothing by taking an extended lead.
  11. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Overanxious rookie made the Wong move.
    ologan likes this.
  12. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

4,011 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    :D:):):):D
  13. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,825 Messages
    652 Likes Received
    just responding to stupidity with a jab. I already said they made the right call in game 1.
  14. jobberone

46,995 Messages
    9,446 Likes Received
    Red Sox win game 5. Can clinch next game. :)
  15. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    yes indeed
  16. jobberone

46,995 Messages
    9,446 Likes Received
    Mongo like.
  17. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    and esp after today the cards were stuck at the airport for 6 hours
  18. Jerruh

Jerruh Active Member

353 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Congrats to the Sox. First World Series clinching win at Fenway for Boston in 95 years!
    kristie likes this.
  19. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

8,077 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Boston has been so spoiled over the last decade. Tons of championships between the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins
  20. dexternjack

10,178 Messages
    5,039 Likes Received
    Pass one to New York and Dallas please................................

I guess better the Sox win than the Cards.