1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Worms regrow their decapitated heads, along with the memories inside

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Denim Chicken, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,940 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    Well you are going to pay for things you dont want at any school. I think that, in terms of priorities, seeing where your money goes when deciding to go to a school is probably near the bottom.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,780 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    I gotta start eating some more worms - my memory is shot these days.
    ABQCOWBOY likes this.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    Sounds like just another excuse to drink more Tequila from you Sarge.

I see what you did there.

LOL
  4. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,507 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    I did the exact same thing, maybe we can get a study funded for the cause of it just to bother Future.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's a bad idea MD. A study funded for the cause of that is code for Arkham Asylum. No, best we just let our crazy be misdiagnosed as Illiteracy and be safe about the whole dang thing.

;)
  6. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,662 Messages
    1,157 Likes Received
    Well yeah. But you also can't be too bent out of shape if you've selected a school known for research for doing research. Especially when it's a private institution with a tuition around 60k a year.
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,808 Messages
    967 Likes Received
    There was an episode of Fringe similar to this. One of the characters ate blended flatworms(planarians are a type of this) to help recover memories. Walter had previously studied flatworms and memories. This is based on real studies done in the 1950s.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    I miss that show. I really liked it. Of course, I'm an old tinfoil skipper from way back so there is that. Still in all, good show I thought.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,940 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    I agree. I think that maybe originally I overstated how I really feel about this whole thing. Its more of a mild feeling than something worth this many posts lol
  10. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,377 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I kinda feel like they're somewhat blurring the lines between memory and a basic survival instinct.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,618 Messages
    5,335 Likes Received
    The implications for research like this are usually significant.

As to proving they have memories, I think they just ask them their favorite colors and see if it's the same as it was with the other head. If the answers match, it's probably close enough.
  12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,531 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    My father has alheimer's so... I care.
  13. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    i'm not sure which is worse, the $ spent on this, or the $ spent to identify worm memories to compare it to.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,772 Messages
    3,439 Likes Received
    Space exploration has resulted in many inventions and new technology as an offshoot. Pure research generates money and all the advancements in technology benefit mankind greatly. Pure research is a great investment. How do you think we got where we are now? It wasn't because someone said let's invent this although that does happen. Generally, its that's interesting; I wonder if we could use this over here and over there.
  15. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I also thought that it said women, so you aren't alone.
  16. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    I also think worms have 5 hearts...that is why you can cut one in half and both half's live.
  17. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Knowledge is power man. You can never know too much. And you never know how small a discovery it takes to lead a breakthrough.

And I poked around the article a bit, never did they mention a figure of "millions" as the cost of the project. So if anything it just time and resources