1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Would Dan Marino succeed in the NFL today?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by DFWJC, Dec 28, 2012.

1. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,473 Messages
    482 Likes Received

The poll might be 100-1 but I don't think he would be above today's great modern passers. Again if he would be amazing with modern day defensive rules how would Montana be? Montana had Brady and Brees numbers 30 years ago but Marino did not. Let me guess it was the West Coast system right? Like I said Marino would need the right system because behind the Dalls cowboys line he's a dead man. I hope you get my point.

:starspin
  2. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,005 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    It's easy to say so and so would not be good behind such and such o-line. Given equally good o-lines between them all Marino would be carving up the league just as well, if not better than Brady and Brees. The guy really was that good.
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,624 Messages
    1,387 Likes Received
    I don't know, Marino did not get sacked that often. Montana got sacked a lot more during his career.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_sacked_perc_career.htm
  4. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,974 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    :clap: :hammer:

Let's see Marino playing in a league where you can't hit him after he releases the ball (and remember he had one of the quickest releases in NFL history), you can't go for his legs (the Brady rule), and you can't mug his receivers?

He'd destroy the record book even more than he already has.
  5. brooksey1

1,473 Messages
    482 Likes Received

So what would Montana's numbers look like since he put up Brees/Brady like efficiency numbers up 30 years ago while Marino did not. Marino had yards but also had alot of picks and does not have the comp%, rating or int% of a Montana, Brees or Brady?
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,903 Messages
    9,000 Likes Received
    What he said.
  7. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,868 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received

Tom Brady is probably one of the slowest QBs in the league, so that doesn't have anything to do with it.
  8. joseephuss

21,624 Messages
    1,387 Likes Received
    Maybe he meant slow in the head. Marino did score a 15 on his Wonderlic.:D
  9. brooksey1

1,473 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Slow as in how would he do behind our line this year? Ko'd?

Ok you guys win but keep in mind Joe Montana played in the same era as Marino and holds a 63% vs. 58% comp rate, a QB rating of 92% vs 86%, an INT rtg of 2.6% vs 3.0% and 4 SB rings vs. 0 rings. Marino managed this feat behind a line that rarely gave up a sack. What would happen to Marino behind the Cowboys line? LOL can we start a poll to see if he would last one season?

Montana has modern day "Brady Like" passing statistics against the same defensive rules that Marino played against.

The Era and Defensive rules don't apply to Montana, they only apply when you compare Romo To Marino. I got it.
  10. joseephuss

21,624 Messages
    1,387 Likes Received
    Who said that? That is just an argument you are having in your head. This thread was about Marino. Montana would do well in this era. Most good QBs would do well in this era because this era has been tailored for passing offenses.

Marino didn't get sacked a lot because he got ride of the ball quickly.
  11. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,005 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Glad someone else noticed.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,903 Messages
    9,000 Likes Received
    Peyton Manning hasn't got sacked a lot in his career and it's not because he's elusive or has always had great protection. His ability to read defenses pre-snap and his quick decision making and release have a ton to do with it.

It's the same thing with Marino.
  13. brooksey1

1,473 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Sorry guys. This thread is a rollover from the Eli vs. Romo thread so yes it's in my head! My point was/is why can't we recognize Romo has much better numbers then Dan Marino and John Elway besides the # gamesplayed and yardage. Most have said because its different eras with different defensive rules. I'm challenging in good cowboy spirit that since Joe Montana has modern day stats then so we should recognize it. I don't believe Marino is better all around then Romo, I believe Marino was great in his own right but would struggle greatly behind our line. IMO
  14. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,947 Messages
    1,732 Likes Received
    1985 vs the Bears. Quite possibly the most amazing game I've seen for no other reason that he made the greatest defense in NFL history (by far) look silly.
  15. phildominator

phildominator Member

679 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If Kurt Warner succeeded, why couldn't Marino?
  16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    One of the quickest releases in history. Red *** competitor. He'd be setting records now
  17. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,219 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Oh yeah I think he'd be a top 5 QB for sure in today's league, if not #1.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I'm gonna one up ya, burm.

7000 yards and 70 TDs. Next stop is the moon if you're wanting to take it there.
  19. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,499 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    I think Montana is similar to Marino in his skills being HOF caliber regardless of the year he played in. Joe had more moxie than any player I ever saw play the game.
  20. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,947 Messages
    1,732 Likes Received
    I hated his guts with a passion, however, he is easily the #1 QB of all time in my book. For the record I am 41 and started watching in the late 70s so I didn't see previous greats play like Staubach (much), Otto Graham, Bart Starr, etc