1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Would you be for Dallas going all in the 2014 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dcstands4, Nov 18, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

17,456 Messages
    8,335 Likes Received
    A 2nd + 3rd does not get you a mid first round pick.

Spencer is a Free Agent. The Cowboys can't trade him.
  2. xwalker

17,456 Messages
    8,335 Likes Received
    Ware has no trade value due to his contract. A team that needs a DE can sign Jared Allen as a Free Agent for less than Ware is making and without giving up any draft picks.

Dez would have trade value, but then you're in a complete rebuilding mode. They've already opted not to rebuild once they gave Romo a new contract.
  3. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

653 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    So 3 possible starters are not better than 1 and 5 guys that may not produce for 2-3 years if at all.?BBM You guys piss on our drafts anyways so why are late round guys so valuable now?
  4. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

653 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    The Rams sent a first and 7th for a first so it's possible. Hatcher can go in Spencer's place that's why I listed both as options. Answer the question.
  5. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    DC, like the thought, a lot. We never get much out of our 4th and 5th picks anyway and in some small way we would be getting something for Spencer. Creative thinking/Drafting is what this team needs. Think about it, we should get 3 starters out of those picks, if the FO knows what to do with them. Good luck with that.

I think the FO is waiting on Dez and then will, 2014 or 2015, include him in a trade. Not because he's possibly immature but because he can't learn a basic route tree and Romo has no confidence in him.

Creativeness is something this team hasn't shown in years--IT'S TIME.
    dcstands4 likes this.
  6. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,406 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    Ware only has another year or 2 at most left. Dez is just too big of a risk imo. Look, this team needs lots of help. We don't have the talent everyone thinks we do. There's no denying what we've seen for the last few years. And it all starts in the trenches. We need to focus on obtaining talent, and lots of it, along the defensive and offensive lines. We have a good start on the OL, but still only have 2 NFL starters there and nothing else.
    Lesterbut likes this.
  7. AmberBeer

3,406 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    Whats the deal with Ware's contract that prevents a trade? I'mve no clue in contract matters.
  8. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

4,260 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    How are we trading Spencer? We'd have to slap the franchise tag on him for the 3rd year in a row. That puts his contract at 144% of the previous year deal which is around $15.3M.
  9. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

653 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Or Hatcher
  10. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

653 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    OK I can understand the position with Ware. But what has Dez done that says he needs to go? He's never been arrested. Never been suspended for drugs or PEDS. YES got a bad rap for slapping his mom and the mall thing but he's grown from that.
  11. AmberBeer

3,406 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    Yea, I just have a bad feeling that Dez is going to do something stupid at some point. Just a gut feeling. Nothing else.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,484 Messages
    1,899 Likes Received
    This team needs as much young, cheap, talented labor as possible. Going all in to me, means an RG# type trade. Rams must be loving life right now. That a top 6 pick right this minute.
  13. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

7,539 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    EWW.
  14. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,605 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    Yea... I think everyone that post here on this forum have different opinions about how the issues that this team continues to have should be fixed, but if people really think critically about the situations, it always jerry. Some people thinks it's Romo, jerry signed him. Some people think it's Garret jerry signed him. The defense, the new coaches, that's jerry. Cap situation, jerry.

No way to get around it; Jerry Jones is the problem with this team. We are all held hostage by him. The early success is the reason we fail now.
    AmberBeer likes this.
  15. xwalker

17,456 Messages
    8,335 Likes Received
    Teams don't give away draft picks AND pay huge salaries for the same player. They could just sign a guy like Jared Allen as a Free Agent for less than Ware's salary and not have to give up any picks.

In the modern NFL, draft picks are the primary method of managing the salary cap. Teams must get contributions from draft picks on their 1st low cost contract in order to field a decent team under the cap.

Ware is a declining player with a huge base salary in 2014 and that increases in following years.

Al Davis and Jerry Jones have been the only owners that gave up draft picks and paid big salaries to the same player. Davis is dead
  16. xwalker

17,456 Messages
    8,335 Likes Received
    http://www.walker-texas.com/old_files/draft-value-chart.pdf

I have attached a link to a draft value chart. You can see that you must have the 17th pick in the 2nd and 17th pick in the 3rd to get the 32nd pick in the first round.

The 1st pick in the 2nd and 1st pick in the 3rd only get you to the 21st pick in the the 1st round.

Even if the Cowboys end up at 7-9, their pick will be around #18 in each round.

Hatcher is also a Free Agent. You can't trade him either.
  17. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

899 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    No, would not.
  18. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

22,945 Messages
    2,000 Likes Received
    I thought teams couldn't use the franchise tag on the same player 3 years in a row.
  19. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

4,469 Messages
    3,240 Likes Received
    Wow.

Wow.
  20. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,605 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    Shrugs... I'm from Watts... I'm still some what ghetto... Anything else?